cancel & re-book ?

ok gang,, first ever venture in booking without a TA (I was quite dissatisfied with my TA and saw no real advantage)

anyhoo, here's my Q,, It appears that with the WOW sale, my cruise might well cost less now than when I booked on board Liberty earlier this month.  If/when this is the case, whats my best course of action ?  Should I call and trust them to give me the straight info on whether it would be less now, or should I just book another cabin at a lower cost, and then cancel the previous booking ?  I just get the impression that these sales are designed to attract NEW bookings, not field 1,000 phone calls from people who already have reservations looking to save some money.  Thoughts ?

If you price it online before calling, there's no risk of mistrust as you'll know the price. In addition, they'll be able to handle transferring what you've already paid for the cruise to the new booking. If you cancel outright after booking a new reservation online, you'll be out your deposit if you took the OBC on your last cruise. Thus, I'd call. In addition, sometimes you can keep your onboard booking benefits. We did this on the Serenade and are price went down almost $600 and we kept the OBC.

At Christmas time, I wanted to change our cruise from Radiance to the new Ovation of the Seas. When I called Royal Caribbean, I was told they do not transfer deposits, so I had to cancel Radiance (and wait approx. 3 weeks for the money I had paid to come back to my credit card), then I had to pay the new deposit to secure our booking on Ovation of the Seas.....

It is also worth mentioning, that I kept an eye on my refunded deposit as it came back in bits. Once I added these bits up, I had been short changed $200 odd AUD, so worth checking your bank account to ensure you get all of your deposit back....

At Christmas time, I wanted to change our cruise from Radiance to the new Ovation of the Seas. When I called Royal Caribbean, I was told they do not transfer deposits, so I had to cancel Radiance (and wait approx. 3 weeks for the money I had paid to come back to my credit card), then I had to pay the new deposit to secure our booking on Ovation of the Seas.....

It is also worth mentioning, that I kept an eye on my refunded deposit as it came back in bits. Once I added these bits up, I had been short changed $200 odd AUD, so worth checking your bank account to ensure you get all of your deposit back....

I wonder if that's a regional thing? I was able to transfer my deposit from the Quantum to the Jewel without any problems.

Polster - that is unusual and may be because you are outside the US

I transfer money all the time- actually all they do is make the new booking and

keep the money on the booking - very very easy

Nicky - look at prices online

Don't cancel your cruise there is no need to do that unless the new offers says

FOR NEW BOOKINGS ONLY -

Any good RCI agent, can just adjust your pricing - key is getting someone

that knows how to do this - Keep in mind you may lose onboard credits

(if that came with original prices) or get less obc etc.

What I am seeing as a trend now is BOOK EARLY

The clients I have that have booked 9 months or more out are getting the

best deals on their pricing - even when new offers come out - their original

prices are better

I don't know why it is different in Australia, but I was really annoyed because I was rebooking another cruise immediately with them.

Then with not getting all my refund back on my credit card, even though I was over a year in advance of sailing, having to chase that up was a pain. Got it all back in the end, but I had to be vigilant and email them again.

Looking forward to my cruise now... :)

I don't know why it is different in Australia, but I was really annoyed because I was rebooking another cruise immediately with them.

Then with not getting all my refund back on my credit card, even though I was over a year in advance of sailing, having to chase that up was a pain. Got it all back in the end, but I had to be vigilant and email them again.

Looking forward to my cruise now... :)

This is really simple since most of us pay with credit cards the credit card services have the final say not the cruise line. If they did not refunded within a reasonable time just dispute the charge, it costs you the customer nothing. However it does costs the merchant and they are required to reply and answer the dispute. Also your credit card service stops all interest on the transactions, so disputing is a very reasonable action for you to take. And really does not matter, if you are within the USA, AU, Europe, as all credit card transactions are control by International Rules.

Generally speaking (when you are just looking for a better rate on the same cabin/cruise), if you booked online or in the Next Cruise office (basically directly with RC in both cases), you can simply call RC and they will check the current rate and let you know what the new rate will be... you then make the decision at that point if you want to have them adjust the fare.  They are very, very friendly and I've literally never spent more than 10 minutes on the phone for any one call.  You can do this as many times as you like until you make the final payment.  Just be careful when you're dealing with more "complex" bookings with promos like OBC, free internet, etc., and make sure the adjustment is truly saving you money!

I've had about 5 adjustments made for the last 2 cruises (I book at least one year in advance) and they make the adjustment immediately and also send you the new reservation paperwork showing the adjusted rate immediately via e-mail.  It could not be easier!