40 days and counting

Hello Everyone,

So we are 40 days out... I feel like we are forgetting to do so much stuff but I can't figure out what. 

Does anyone have a checklist for when they get closer to sailing? 

Also, because I booked this cruise in April 2018 it really feels like its finally getting here when it was originally just a far far far far far off thought. 

At this point, I usually verify that I have everything purchased in the cruise planner I could possibly want.

Then I start setting aside travel documents in a set place, passports etc, you know moving them from the “I won’t lose them if I put them here spot” to another “I won’t lose them if I put them here”

I make sure I am checked in online and have set sail passes/luggage tags done too.

I start thinking about a packing list and taking stock of little things you may need. Sunscreen, small bottles of Tylenol/Advil other OTC meds etc etc

I usually don’t start actually packing until a few days prior. For instance we are leaving Friday afternoon this week for our cruise that starts next Monday and I have not packed a thing. 

You have time still. Relax and get excited. Set sail date will be here before you know it!

Not sure if you are flying or not but it's a very good idea to double check your flight reservations WITH the airline.  There are SO many changes lately with flights that it is just a good practice to make sure that nothing has changed. 

I learned this lesson the hard way.  A number of years ago we did a TransAtlantic cruise which left Florida and went to Harwich, England.  I had made my airline reservations very early through the old Royal Caribbean travel agent (it's called Air2Sea now but I can't remember what it was called then).  We spent a few days in London following the cruise and then flew out of London to come home.  When we got to the airport we found out that there had been a "change of equipment" at some point since I had made the reservations and they had moved us from our premium PAID seats (we had paid extra $$ for certain seats) to somewhere I had no interest in sitting.  I was so mad, as you can imagine.  They had not bothered to let us know that they had changed aircraft and instead of giving us the same equivalent seats on the NEW aircraft, they just dumped us somewhere that they had open seats.  We had a recent experience with the same thing not 3 months ago.  We were booked in row 2 (First Class) and when they changed aircrafts, the new aircraft did not have a row 2.  The first row was row 3.  They basically cut us out of First class completely, but this time, at least they refunded our money.

The moral to these stories is, DO NOT TAKE IT FOR GRANTED THAT YOU HAVE THE SEATS YOU RESERVED !  The airlines are constantly changing times, itineraries and equipment.  Quite honestly, they really don't care if they inconvenience you at all.  Make sure that YOU are not the ones that they "cut out" of the new configuration.  Check directly with the airline on the airline website.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Not sure if you are flying or not but it's a very good idea to double check your flight reservations WITH the airline.  There are SO many changes lately with flights that it is just a good practice to make sure that nothing has changed. 

I learned this lesson the hard way.  A number of years ago we did a TransAtlantic cruise which left Florida and went to Harwich, England.  I had made my airline reservations very early through the old Royal Caribbean travel agent (it's called Air2Sea now but I can't remember what it was called then).  We spent a few days in London following the cruise and then flew out of London to come home.  When we got to the airport we found out that there had been a "change of equipment" at some point since I had made the reservations and they had moved us from our premium PAID seats (we had paid extra $$ for certain seats) to somewhere I had no interest in sitting.  I was so mad, as you can imagine.  They had not bothered to let us know that they had changed aircraft and instead of giving us the same equivalent seats on the NEW aircraft, they just dumped us somewhere that they had open seats.  We had a recent experience with the same thing not 3 months ago.  We were booked in row 2 (First Class) and when they changed aircrafts, the new aircraft did not have a row 2.  The first row was row 3.  They basically cut us out of First class completely, but this time, at least they refunded our money.

The moral to these stories is, DO NOT TAKE IT FOR GRANTED THAT YOU HAVE THE SEATS YOU RESERVED !  The airlines are constantly changing times, itineraries and equipment.  Quite honestly, they really don't care if they inconvenience you at all.  Make sure that YOU are not the ones that they "cut out" of the new configuration.  Check directly with the airline on the airline website.

Great tips... We are flying southwest so no assigned seats (free luggage is > picking my seats, for as short of a flight as we have). I actually checked with SW on our flights this morning and will continue to do so weekly until the trip. 

1 hour ago, emsff02 said:

At this point, I usually verify that I have everything purchased in the cruise planner I could possibly want.

Then I start setting aside travel documents in a set place, passports etc, you know moving them from the “I won’t lose them if I put them here spot” to another “I won’t lose them if I put them here”

I make sure I am checked in online and have set sail passes/luggage tags done too.

I start thinking about a packing list and taking stock of little things you may need. Sunscreen, small bottles of Tylenol/Advil other OTC meds etc etc

I usually don’t start actually packing until a few days prior. For instance we are leaving Friday afternoon this week for our cruise that starts next Monday and I have not packed a thing. 

You have time still. Relax and get excited. Set sail date will be here before you know it!

We have actually done a practice pack so we are finishing purchasing some last minute stuff (new flip flops for me, travel bottles for him, etc.). I just started a new job and its busy season so i knew it would be rough to do a practice pack with my SO before the trip. I am definitely relaxing and getting excited just trying to make sure I haven't forgotten anything major! 

46 minutes ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

Great tips... We are flying southwest so no assigned seats (free luggage is > picking my seats, for as short of a flight as we have). I actually checked with SW on our flights this morning and will continue to do so weekly until the trip. 

You can go back into your SW booking and buy EarlyBird for one of you guys.  That will get someone in your party on the plane earlier to help secure seats.  You can't only buy one EarlyBird during the initial booking, but you can add it one person after the flight is booked.  My mother also likes to add it at the gate.  It's only $5 more than pre-paying and gets her one of the A1-A15 boarding slots.  She's picky about where she sits on a plane

5 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

You can go back into your SW booking and buy EarlyBird for one of you guys.  That will get someone in your party on the plane earlier to help secure seats.  You can't only buy one EarlyBird during the initial booking, but you can add it one person after the flight is booked.  My mother also likes to add it at the gate.  It's only $5 more than pre-paying and gets her one of the A1-A15 boarding slots.  She's picky about where she sits on a plane

We are contemplating either doing that for the way back since we aren't getting the internet package and it should get it checked in without having to do it. 

1 hour ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

I've been there... We are now like what the heck how are we almost a month out... I remember when we were 600 days out...

Agree.  All planning done and waiting for the on-board entertainment to open for reservations ...  after I have Grease, Headliners, ice show, and comedy shows reserved, then my attitude changes.

26tPcgtbhhbU88U2A.gif