Jet Buzzes Harmony of the Seas

My husband use to fly fighters (AF).  I can tell you that the person on twitter does not know their airframes.  The F4 has been gone for about 25 yrs+, the AF boneyarded the F4 by 1993 or so. If it is/was US Navy it probably was an 18 or maybe even a 35.  

That being said,  by the time that pilot landed or within a few minutes of landing they were standing at attention in front of the Commander's (CO) desk getting their butt chewed into hamburger meat.  What they did is called strafing  and that is a big no-no, even on land.  The ship would be able to see on their radar which ship is by the Harmony, and the Captain would be able to contact the Navy, hence why I am saying within a few minutes the Commander would know, not only if it was their jet, but which exact plane did it.

My husband and I have seen this occur on several cruises, more often when we do European cruises.    What people need to know is that fighters fly in groups, usually 2 or 4, not single ship (yes that is what they call it when they fly.... 2 ship, 4 ship, etc)   So again, when the CO calls them in it would be the group, and someone will step up and say yea, that was me, it wasn't them.    When my husband flew,  doing something like this would result in them getting a time out (taken off the flight schedule for a few days)  That might seem like nothing, but for these pilots it is like chopping off an arm, plus, they know they are now on the bad side of the CO.  The CO has to make a report of the incident and explain why it occurred, and what action they took regarding this situation.  Do it once, shame on you, do it again, and you are looking at career issues.

50 minutes ago, Pima1988 said:

My husband use to fly fighters (AF).  I can tell you that the person on twitter does not know their airframes.  The F4 has been gone for about 25 yrs+, the AF boneyarded the F4 by 1993 or so. If it is/was US Navy it probably was an 18 or maybe even a 35.  

It wasn't even a fighter, it was a Dassault Falcon 50 business jet. Some military's also use it for transport, but not the United States.

EDIT: I misread the article that the video was this incident. I'll blame it on jet lag...

I saw reference to an aircraft carrier....the Falcon is not a jet that can take off or land on a carrier.

The video shows a business-type jet flying rather slowly by.  The news called it French military jet......maybe for shuttling brass, but not for air defense or offense.

Edit:  Apparently I confused the two incidents as well...

Why is Jim Walker posting this on his website?  Is he implying that it's a safety hazard to cruise passengers?  Is he implying that there could possibly be a terrorist attack on a cruise ship using such a tactic?  Jim is the first one to point out what he feels are wrong doings and liable acts by cruise lines and make's a living off of suing them, by highlighting such possible act is he not inciting violence and would he not be liable if such an act were to occur?  Isn't there a more ethical line of work Jim? 

15 minutes ago, Jjohnb said:

Why is Jim Walker posting this on his website?  Is he implying that it's a safety hazard to cruise passengers?  Is he implying that there could possibly be a terrorist attack on a cruise ship using such a tactic?  Jim is the first one to point out what he feels are wrong doings and liable acts by cruise lines and make's a living off of suing them, by highlighting such possible act is he not inciting violence and would he not be liable if such an act were to occur?  Isn't there a more ethical line of work Jim? 

When I saw his post I was SMH.  Must be a slow case week for him.  Clearly it's the cruise line's fault for placing itself in the jets path.  

5 hours ago, Pima1988 said:

That being said,  by the time that pilot landed or within a few minutes of landing they were standing at attention in front of the Commander's (CO) desk getting their butt chewed into hamburger meat.  What they did is called strafing  and that is a big no-no, even on land.  The ship would be able to see on their radar which ship is by the Harmony, and the Captain would be able to contact the Navy, hence why I am saying within a few minutes the Commander would know, not only if it was their jet, but which exact plane did it.

My husband and I have seen this occur on several cruises, more often when we do European cruises.    What people need to know is that fighters fly in groups, usually 2 or 4, not single ship (yes that is what they call it when they fly.... 2 ship, 4 ship, etc)   So again, when the CO calls them in it would be the group, and someone will step up and say yea, that was me, it wasn't them.    When my husband flew,  doing something like this would result in them getting a time out (taken off the flight schedule for a few days)  That might seem like nothing, but for these pilots it is like chopping off an arm, plus, they know they are now on the bad side of the CO.  The CO has to make a report of the incident and explain why it occurred, and what action they took regarding this situation.  Do it once, shame on you, do it again, and you are looking at career issues.

Thank you for your service.

I was AF, but my wife had it a lot harder than I ever did.  

People always forget to thank the spouses.

On 9/16/2019 at 12:44 PM, Floski said:

Thank you for your service.

I was AF, but my wife had it a lot harder than I ever did.  

People always forget to thank the spouses.

I do a lot of work with the military, and one of the interesting things I hear when I speak with higher ups at bases is how much they're having to change what they do with military spouses these days...because so many of the older stuff they did was guided towards women only, and there's an increasing number of military spouses who are men. I hear it from multiple bases, and multiple branches.

Doesn't change your post at all, but I found it interesting and thought I'd share as the demographics of military (and those who stay home) change quickly.

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 7:19 AM, Pima1988 said:

The F4 has been gone for about 25 yrs+, the AF boneyarded the F4 by 1993 or so. 

I hate to disagree with you but quite a few of the F4's aircraft were turned into Drones and used as targets until just a few years ago...Flown out of  Holloman AFB in New Mexico and Tyndall AFB Florida till they were replaced by F-16 Drones.  

3 hours ago, Psycho and Barb said:

I hate to disagree with you but quite a few of the F4's aircraft were turned into Drones and used as targets until just a few years ago...Flown out of  Holloman AFB in New Mexico and Tyndall AFB Florida till they were replaced by F-16 Drones.  

This makes me sad.

I was assigned to the 86TFW in Germany and the F-4 was a wonderful platform!  

The AF just wasn't quite the same after they were retired.

50 minutes ago, StayFrosty said:

That’s kind of ironic because they were originally built for the Navy!  Heck of a plane. 

Thanks!  My father either helped build or supervised the manufacture of the wiring harnesses for every F-4 built.  He worked at Mc Donnell Aircraft/Mc Donnell Douglas/(now) Boeing from 1954 to 1985.  He'll appreciate that people still talk favorably about the plane.