Check in

Family are very excited to go on Symphony on the seas end October we are excited and hoping to meet some great new friends from America 

I have checked us in already with a boarding time at 12:30. Do I need to stick to that time or can I get on board earlier

Also any great ideas on how to make embankment day Go smoothly with kids age 7-9?

You can board as early as about 10am.  The time on your boarding pass is usually just a suggestion.   

I'd recommend putting the kids swimwear in their carryon bags for embarkation day to hang by the pool, do the slides.  That way you get out of the madhouse that is the Windjammer (the buffet).  

Make sure you have your luggage tags attached and use the porters at the terminal.  Tip them for their assistance but that should free up some time as well.

I like keeping a binder of all my travel documents.  Passports go into a sleeve in the binder just for embarkation day so nothing gets missed.  Set sail pass from your pre checkin, into the binder.  Know what credit card you're going to use for your onboard account and have that with the passports for easy handing to checkin and no fumbling through wallets/purses/man bags/etc.  I'm a big advocate of the binder of organization and copies of documents.  

On your way to the pool, stop by Adventure Ocean for the kids to be registered with the kids activity place.    

Take a leisurely stroll along the boardwalk/central park area.  Sit, relax.  You're on your VACATION now!  You've just gotten through the excitement of checking in and walking onboard, take a step back and just enjoy!

I'd recommend getting close to your deck prior to the rooms opening up.  So around about 1230 start thinking about getting to that deck.  This is so when the rooms DO open and the mad dash to the rooms happen, you're just a stairway or just a small walk away from your opened up room.    Do the same with muster, get at least close to where your muster station is ahead of the crowd.  Symphony does really well with keeping the crowds spread out, but at times you can get a little bottlenecked.  So avoid the bottleneck and be in at least the zone prior to these events.

After muster, take in sailaway.  The ship is moving!  You're on your way!  YAY!  

You don't have to follow the time shown on your set sail pass. It's more of a recommendation than a rule.  

Not sure what your travel plans are to get to the terminal... but be sure your kids are well rested. I'm sure they are going to be excited,  but all to often you can tell when someone didn't sleep enough.  

Also,  include your kids in planning... set their expectations ahead of time.  Explain that they're going to be traveling with lots of people,  and there are going to be some lines and wait times. Explain the muster drill,  dinner expectations,  ect. 

Enjoy your cruise. 

Cheers