Bottles of Wine

FLGooner

How strict are they on the 750 ml bottle size?  Would they really give you a hard time if one of your bottles was the larger size bottles?  I'm not talking about a gallon jug or anything like that.  I'm not sure of the sizing, but a lot of the popular cheaper wines (Barefoot, etc.) come in two sizes, the standard 750 ml and a bigger size, I think it's 1.5l.  I can't imagine they would bother you, but figured I would ask.  I did this on the last Disney cruise I went on and they didn't look twice at it.  4 adults at dinner, a 750 ml bottle is one glass each, and who drinks only one glass of wine, lol.  

A interesting thing here is while many places on the web site you find RCI say they have no corkage fee, you will also found others that say they do have a fee. From the web site:

Guests may bring personal wine and champagne onboard only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. When consumed in any public area, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00. 

One thing I have found is that it seems many rules on these cruises are not hard and fast. Several times on the cruises I have been on I was told no this is the rule and in the end posted information on RCI said exactly the reverse. Much better to know the answers and defend your position when you know you are right.

A interesting thing here is while many places on the web site you find RCI say they have no corkage fee, you will also found others that say they do have a fee. From the web site:

Guests may bring personal wine and champagne onboard only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. When consumed in any public area, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00. 

One thing I have found is that it seems many rules on these cruises are not hard and fast. Several times on the cruises I have been on I was told no this is the rule and in the end posted information on RCI said exactly the reverse. Much better to know the answers and defend your position when you know you are right.

My guess is that portion of the website simply hasn't been updated as Royal announced months ago the elimination of a coated fee.

My guess is that portion of the website simply hasn't been updated as Royal announced months ago the elimination of a coated fee.

And you maybe are 100% correct and I believe you are.  But it doesn't change anything under the UCC and contract law they RCI are responsible to follow the standard.  It is not like they have no staff and cannot correct this. It is not like the policy just change within the last few days... the information above says the policy was change in October of 2014, that is going on two years.

The simple fact is within a quick 5 minute search of the site I found at least five cases of their terms and conditions saying they have a fee and at least the same number saying no fee. If they do not have the due diligences to correct something like this what else are they failing to correct and follow? 

You will find that the biggest complaints people have with Royal is with their IT Department. I was the victim of this on my last cruise when I showed up and was informed that I owed $222 for a cruise that was paid in full months earlier.

I'm also guilty of having outdated personal websites and blogs . . .

The corkage fee is most certainly not applied. I have brought enough wine onboard in the last 12-18 months to prove that.

Triple confirmed.  Together we had a bottle of wine each night in at least 2 different restaurants.  Never an issue, the stuff on the website about corkage fees is just old information, plain and simple.

Triple confirmed.  Together we had a bottle of wine each night in at least 2 different restaurants.  Never an issue, the stuff on the website about corkage fees is just old information, plain and simple.

Does not matter if you and every single other member on this site confirms it. Does not change the simple fact that the website says no corkage fee in some places and corkage fee in others. The contract has not been corrected and they (RCI) could try enforce at any time in the future.  Again  "....maybe are 100% correct and I believe you are.  But it doesn't change anything under the UCC and contract law they RCI are responsible to follow the standard."

Does not matter if you and every single other member on this site confirms it. Does not change the simple fact that the website says no corkage fee in some places and corkage fee in others. The contract has not been corrected and they (RCI) could try enforce at any time in the future.  Again  "....maybe are 100% correct and I believe you are.  But it doesn't change anything under the UCC and contract law they RCI are responsible to follow the standard."

You are correct.  As such, no level of discussion here will change that.  Probably not a bad thing to point out to RCCL via email.  I'll be completing my on-board experience survey today, will mention it in the comments section.

If you bag is locked how can RCCL tell the difference between a 750ml bottle of wine and a 750ml bottle of liquor? 

In the X-Ray machine, they will see a bottle and flag your bag and then require you to go down and retrieve the luggage, after opening it up.

When bringing wine aboard, you should bring it in your carry-on so you can avoid that exact scenario.

I drink diet coke but I have always wondered if a drinker wanted to bring a bottle on board and it was in one of those metal sleeves that some bottles are sold in would they pick up on this? I know the x-ray machine would see a long dark box image, but that could be a lot of things, with thousands of bags going through do you really think Royal is that good? TSA has had tester go through airport security (TSA Inspectors) with fake guns and bombs and not stopped  or picked up. 

Do you think a Royal employee with limited training, under  the pressure of time and thousands of bags will catch this stuff? Again not interest in bring any alcohol on the ship, but how much do these checks really help? 

I drink diet coke but I have always wondered if a drinker wanted to bring a bottle on board and it was in one of those metal sleeves that some bottles are sold in would they pick up on this? I know the x-ray machine would see a long dark box image, but that could be a lot of things, with thousands of bags going through do you really think Royal is that good? TSA has had tester go through airport security (TSA Inspectors) with fake guns and bombs and not stopped  or picked up. 

Do you think a Royal employee with limited training, under  the pressure of time and thousands of bags will catch this stuff? Again not interest in bring any alcohol on the ship, but how much do these checks really help? 

It's my guess it's actually the opposite: rather than them being able to determine from the scan what is in there, if they see anything resembling a beverage, the luggage gets flagged.

I'm basing that guess on the fact when we checked bottled water, our bag was flagged and I had to go to the "naughty room" to retrieve it.  The crew member opened up the bag, saw it was water and sent me on my way.

It's my guess it's actually the opposite: rather than them being able to determine from the scan what is in there, if they see anything resembling a beverage, the luggage gets flagged.

Matt, sorry I was not clear in my post. I'm not talking about just sending a bottle through X Ray. What I am saying is purchase a bottle in a metal case or a metal tube. The X Ray Scanner Machine then just see a metal box, or metal tube. Back in the 35 & 120 mm film days I would carry my cameras inside zero metal cases. If the scanner see these do you really believe they would stop and catch them?

I think their "default" setting is if in doubt pull the bag and send it to the naughty room for the passenger to pick up in person.

Would they catch every bottle camouflaged in a metal tube almost certainly not, but i am sure there is a % of bottles they flat out miss as well.

Again I do not drink alcohol so this is just a discussion. But I do hate it when companies try to place controls that are design only for their benefit. I can understand Royal limiting personal alcohol but to out right ban it is just to build profit. I can remember in the early 1990's cruising the Caribbean and a major attraction of some port calls was duty free alcohol and it was just allowed to be taken back with passengers to their cabins.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if large numbers of passengers started placing their socks in cookie tins? Do you really think the naughty room could handle a 1000 plus passengers?   

I see what you're saying Todd.  Like JT said, there'd be a risk involved but the thing I always say about smuggling alcohol onboard is even if you are able to do it, you'd be relegated to drinking it in your stateroom (since you could not bring it anywhere else to have onboard), and I don't see much fun in that.  Just my two cents.

• 4 months later...

I am familiar with the wine carry on rules.....but what if I don't "carry on" in FLL but I buy wine in a San Juan or St. Martin........would that bottle be a "legal" carry on to consume in my cabin?    San Juan is a US property so Customs wouldn't be an issue.....am I correct?  

I am familiar with the wine carry on rules.....but what if I don't "carry on" in FLL but I buy wine in a San Juan or St. Martin........would that bottle be a "legal" carry on to consume in my cabin?    San Juan is a US property so Customs wouldn't be an issue.....am I correct?  

The carry-on wine allocation of two bottles per stateroom is only allowed on embarkation day.  In any other port, US or otherwise, they will hold your wine until your last night.

Taking the 2 bottles on if you drink wine...totally worth it! I did that on my first cruise (no drink pkg) and saved buying at least 6 glasses of wine at 10 bucks a glass... the 2 bottles weren't that heavy and didn't cost 60 plus gratuity! My next cruise on adventure we will carry on 2, get 1 bottle of champagne from AAA, and that will do dinner for the 2 of us for the first 3 days, prob 4. Save us a bunch! Jane

I'm basing that guess on the fact when we checked bottled water, our bag was flagged and I had to go to the "naughty room" to retrieve it.  The crew member opened up the bag, saw it was water and sent me on my way.

How close did they look because Vodka looks like water ;)

• 3 months later...

My question is if you can bring a bottle that says wine specialty on it?

Do you mean a fortified wine? If so, I don't believe so. If you mean specialty as high end or limited edition, then it's fine as long as it doesn't exceed the size of a normal winner bottle 750 ml?).

When I last spoke to RCI via phone regarding my upcoming December cruise she informed me that there is no longer a corkage fee. 

Do you mean a fortified wine? If so, I don't believe so. If you mean specialty as high end or limited edition, then it's fine as long as it doesn't exceed the size of a normal winner bottle 750 ml?).

No it is more like a pina colada mix that says wine specialty on it! So nothing strong only 14%. The other bottle i have would be similar and its like a mojito and it also says wine specialty on it! I was also going to bring a peach bellini which i consider sparkling wine of champagne! Thanks 

No it is more like a pina colada mix that says wine specialty on it! So nothing strong only 14%. The other bottle i have would be similar and its like a mojito and it also says wine specialty on it! I was also going to bring a peach bellini which i consider sparkling wine of champagne! Thanks

I can't answer that one, but in guessing it will be scrutinized.

• 3 years later...

My experience has been that it is a "visual" check .. if it looks like a wine bottle and is sealed they arent really reading the labels to see what exactly it is.

We brought Mead on a cruise a few years back, technically "honey wine" could be used to describe it ... it came in standard looking wine bottles, they had us unzip the wine carrier, glanced at the two bottles and waved us through.

Similarly took a couple of bottles of sour beer on a cruise, they were packaged in corked 750ml bottles, the labels clearly said BEER not wine ... they didnt even glance at those, i held up the wine bag from publix with the tops sticking out and they waved us through.

Every situation is different and on both occasions i was fully prepared to have them say no and move on no big deal but if whatever you are trying to take out on "looks" like wine you have a good chance of making it.

Also depends on time of year to some degree, they seem to be much more aggressive in screening spring break style cruises, etc.