Celebrity?

Al Horner

On 9/16/2019 at 12:36 AM, ChrisK2793 said:

The bad thing is, the points you earn on Celebrity won’t count as points in Crown and Anchor.

This is true.  Your "building" of points starts at zero even though your loyalty level carries over.  Would it be nice if this were handled differently?  Sure, that'd be neat.  Would it lead to all the more people having top tier statuses, which seems to upset those that have said statuses?  Probably. (this gets to the "when everyone is special no one is special" paradox)  Do I personal think it matters?  Nope.  For me, I've yet to identify a reasonably attainable loyalty perk that is worth compromising experiences for.  Others may hold a greater value to certain perks and feel otherwise, which is fine too.

I really enjoy Celebrity Cruises. I am Elite status with Celebrity, which carries over to Diamond on Royal. The staff and food are great. I personally think the buffet is better than Royal Caribbean. I do notice that they cater more to the older generation than millennials. Royal has many activities on their ships such as ice skating, rock climbing, flow rider, etc., but Celebrity doesn't really have that. I find that I am lounging around more than participating in activities on Celebrity vs Royal.

18 minutes ago, MelKaps said:

I do notice that they cater more to the older generation than millennials. Royal has many activities on their ships such as ice skating, rock climbing, flow rider, etc., but Celebrity doesn't really have that. I find that I am lounging around more than participating in activities on Celebrity vs Royal.

That said, I've seen how they're trying to start drawing in more Millennials, as well as Gen X and Gen Y. Ships the like Edge are clearly designed for them, and the current refurbishment program is bringing a lot of the design and some of the new features of Edge to the older ships in the fleet.

Those changes are certainly drawing the ire of a lot of those "older generation" folks on "the other place". The commentary almost feels like the old cliche, "...and get off my lawn!!" ?

4 hours ago, monorailmedic said:

This is true.  Your "building" of points starts at zero even though your loyalty level carries over.  Would it be nice if this were handled differently?  Sure, that'd be neat.  Would it lead to all the more people having top tier statuses, which seems to upset those that have said statuses?  Probably. (this gets to the "when everyone is special no one is special" paradox)  Do I personal think it matters?  Nope.  For me, I've yet to identify a reasonably attainable loyalty perk that is worth compromising experiences for.  Others may hold a greater value to certain perks and feel otherwise, which is fine too.

I could not agree more. The loyalty perks, while nice, are not the reason why I choose a specific cruise.

I have never sailed on Celebrity but just booked 2 cruises with them today. They were offering some amazing onboard perks (prepaid gratuities, beverage package, and $150 per person OBC) and are out of my homeport of Vancouver so I couldn't resist. I know celebrity doesn't offer all the extra onboard activities that Royal does (slides, flowrider, etc) but its about managing expectations. These cruises will simply be about relaxation. I will continue to book Royal cruises to get my thrills.