Crowded Windjammer?

Monie71

Some of the ships (Anthem and other Quantum class, I think Radiance class?) have an outside seating area at the far aft of the Windjammer that you can check out before carrying a plate somewhere more distant on the ships. It can get crowded quickly since there aren't a ton of tables, but if you can snag one it's really nice.

Like @JLMoran mentioned look for outside areas too. The windjammer can also get very crowed on embarkation day so make sure you bring a lot of patience that day. On our Anthem cruise I know I got a lot of inappropriate things yelled at me as I went ahead of the enormous line to go into Coastal Kitchen, which has its entrance just outside the entrance to the Windjammer. 

Other prime times it can get a little crowded. We used the strategy of sending one person to secure a table while the other got some food, then swapped.

Like others have stated above, WJ can get very busy at peak times. If you want to eat breakfast at 9, lunch at noon and dinner at 6, I'd expect it to be busy. My wife and I always try to eat at slower times, either earlier or later than "normal" meal times to avoid this. The same is going to be true if you eat in any of the food outlets on board. If you went to a land based restaurant, at a certain time that's busy, I'd expect the same onboard.

Happy Cruising!

17 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Some of the ships (Anthem and other Quantum class, I think Radiance class?) have an outside seating area at the far aft of the Windjammer that you can check out before carrying a plate somewhere more distant on the ships. It can get crowded quickly since there aren't a ton of tables, but if you can snag one it's really nice.

Joe is correct regarding Radiance Class ..... Brilliance has an awesome outdoor seating area at the far aft of the ship ..... you can relax, watch the wake, and enjoy a nice meal.

Now, on Vision Class --- there is an outdoor area that flanks the beginning parts of both sides of the pool deck ...... not as nice as what's on Brilliance, but still serves a purpose when it comes to added seating for the WJ

4 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

Now, on Vision Class --- there is an outdoor area that flanks the beginning parts of both sides of the pool deck  not as nice as what's on Brilliance, but still serves a purpose when it comes to added seating for the WJ

I noticed that @coneyraven, as we are sailing on Rhapsody next year. The layout,  I'm presuming is because WJ is forward instead of aft.  The area as @JLMoran mentioned is great. Really enjoyed it on Serenade, especially in the morning for breakfast.

On 9/15/2019 at 3:17 PM, JLMoran said:

On Ovation this was the best place to go - I don't think the majority of the passengers even knew it was there! 

1 hour ago, Fairlynew said:

To avoid crowds at breakfast, you can always do the MDR buffet.   The selection is not as varied but the atmosphere is significantly less hectic 

True on most ships, but not Anthem and, I assume, other Quantum class. MDR breakfast on Anthem was an absolute madhouse the one time my wife and I tried it. Far less pleasant than the many times I enjoyed an MDR breakfast on Freedom.

49 minutes ago, Lovestotravel said:

Anyone know if this is true on Freedom of the Seas as well? 

Yup, I sailed Freedom in April of 2018 and ate breakfast in the MDR almost every morning, even port days. Absolutely loved it, and always requested a shared table so I could have some company while I ate since my wife and kids preferred the windjammer / tended to get breakfast later than I did. Met a ton of nice and interesting people that way.

Edited by JLMoran
Corrected the sail date

12 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Yup, I sailed Freedom in April of 2018 and ate breakfast in the MDR almost every morning, even port days. Absolutely loved it, and always requested a shared table so I could have some company while I ate since my wife and kids preferred the windjammer / tended to get breakfast later than I did. Met a ton of nice and interesting people that way.

Thanks!  So, I know the menu is more limited than the WJ, but did it have basics like eggs and bacon? 

Just now, Lovestotravel said:

Thanks!  So, I know the menu is more limited than the WJ, but did it have basics like eggs and bacon? 

Yes, you could get eggs any style as well as omelettes, and standard side options of bacon, small-size sausage links (think what you'll get in the freezer section of the grocery), and I think triangle hash browns (or maybe I just saw corned beef hash one day). Also have typical options like oatmeal, bagels, donuts, cereals, pancakes, waffles, etc. Even lox and cream cheese on a bagel with tomato, onion, and capers, at least when I sailed.

6 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Yes, you could get eggs any style as well as omelettes, and standard side options of bacon, small-size sausage links (think what you'll get in the freezer section of the grocery), and I think triangle hash browns (or maybe I just saw corned beef hash one day). Also have typical options like oatmeal, bagels, donuts, cereals, pancakes, waffles, etc. Even lox and cream cheese on a bagel with tomato, onion, and capers, at least when I sailed.

That is great!  Thanks!  We may have found our breakfast location!

On 9/15/2019 at 2:44 PM, Monie71 said:

How crowded does the Windjammer get? Can you take your plate and sit outside? 

I am going to agree with all that is said here, and give you a quick tip!  We made the mistake of going outside to eat, and we forgot our drinks as well as silverware so we grabbed a table and walked back inside to get them, needless to say at that point we were docked and there were seagulls present and our breakfast was destroyed.  Some wonderful folks got them away from the table but they had already done their damage!  Just a heads up to pay attention to where you are when you eat outside it is a lesson we will never forget!!!!?

Although I’ve seen the windjammer extremely busy, the staff always find you a seat. On my cruise they had staff dotted around the windjammer and they would communicate through walkie talkies trying to find you a seat and I’ve always got one. It’s really never an issue. As well as that you CAN take you plate or whatever outside to enjoy you breakfast lunch or dinner on your balcony or at the pool deck or anywhere! I hope this helps. ?

On 9/17/2019 at 3:04 PM, monctonguy said:

For  Breakfast you will probably have to...its a zoo during busy breakfast hours....

Ain't that the truth!  Peak breakfast is the only time I've tried to pop by, took one look at the line snaking from the entrance down several flights of stairs and just noped the heck out of there.

It's fine if you go early (7am) or late (10:30ish), but it gets crazy busy in the 8am-10am prime time.

Embarkation day can be a bit crazy, particularly later in the afternoon, but if you get there by noon you'll be fine.  Beware of roller bags.

All other times, it's been busy to varying degrees but it's never taken us more than a few minutes to get a table or have to dodge elbows to get to a food station.  Breakfast is like Mad Max.