Using cell phone to call home

Carla witt

What is the best way to call & talk with someone back home using your cell phone. I have a iPhone & we use Verizon. I will be calling my mom back home & she has a android phone. We have Voom & stream on the boat-will we be able to call using wi fi if so how does that work or is it better to do a international plan with Verizon?

Welcome to the message boards!

To use wifi calling on your phone you need to make sure you have it setup and tested before you leave home.  If in doubt how to do so contact Verizon.

Once you have wifi calling working on your phone, board the ship, use airplane mode to turn off cellular then connect to the ship wifi.  Log into Voom and make sure your phone can access the internet.  Once connected to the internet with wifi calling already working on your phone you should be able to make calls just like at home.

The only reason to purchase an international plan from Verizon would be for use off the ship while visiting a port of call.  If the ship arrives in Aruba and you leave the ship to explore Aruba, that is when an international plan from Verizon allows you to turn cellular back on and use your phone based on the international plan you purchased from Verizon.  The international plan from Verizon doesn't work on the ship when the ship is at sea away from land.  

I'm not 100% sure,  but I think Verizon may charge an extra fee to activate "wifi calling" on their devices.  But don't hold me to that,  I haven't been with Verizon in a few years.  

But, you can always use an app instead of the in phone wifi calling feature. 

I think a lot of people use face time,  or Google hangouts. But if staying in contact is a must,  then def test what ever you plan on using ahead of time,  and maybe have a backup.  

I don’t have Verizon, but I’m on Symphony right now, ...... I’m in airplane mode ..... my WiFi calling is always turned on even at home ...... I’m on the Voom surf and stream WiFi  ............ and my phone does everything it does at home  ....... I can make and receive phone calls to/from  iPhones and android phones  ..... send and receive texts to both iPhones and android phones .......... and my son has even done a FaceTime call with my mom ........ everything works just like at home.

Have to agree with twangster, I cannot see why another step is needed with an additional app. It works just like it is. Is the additional app needed for only certain type phones or certain carriers?

Advise above is good though, set it up at HOME and use it. Leave it on ALL the time(mine's been on for years)), and just switch to Airplane mode when cruising. When you make a call, just log on to your ship wifi and use your phone like you were home.

22 hours ago, vanelli56 said:

I'm not 100% sure,  but I think Verizon may charge an extra fee to activate "wifi calling" on their devices.  But don't hold me to that,  I haven't been with Verizon in a few years

I was on Oasis in December 2018 & Harmony in April 2019 & until a few months ago I was with Verizon & I did purchase the Voom Surf & Stream & I knew that I was going to use my phone while I was in other countries so I called Verizon & told them that I was going out of the country and would like the travel pass to be added to my account. 

The travel pass that Verizon offers can be added to your Verizon account and you will not be charged for having the travel pass on the account but you will be charged $10 a day for each device that makes a call or sends & receives text messages while in another country 

I have had the travel pass that is offered by Verizon on my Verizon account for about 7 months which I was not charged for using the service of the travel pass because I did not do any kind of international travel between the middle of December 2018 & late April/ early May 2019 and when I got back from my travels in early May until I switched cellular providers sometime in July 2019

IF YOU CALL VERIZON AND TELL THEM THAT YOU ARE GOING TO BE TRAVELING THEN THEY WILL ASK YOU WHERE YOUR GOING AND YOU CAN ONLY USE YOUR PHONE AT THE COUNTRIES THAT YOU TELL THEM YOU WILL BE VISITING BUT IF ADD THE TRAVEL PASS TO YOUR ACCOUNT THEN YOU DO NOT HAVE TO CALL THEM EACH TIME THAT YOU TRAVEL ABROAD. AND YOU ONLY BE CHARGED $10 PER DAY FOR THE ENTIRE DAY ON THE DAYS THAT YOU USE YOUR CELL PHONE.

23 hours ago, ChrisK2793 said:

I don’t have Verizon, but I’m on Symphony right now, ...... I’m in airplane mode ..... my WiFi calling is always turned on even at home ...... I’m on the Voom surf and stream WiFi  ............ and my phone does everything it does at home  ....... I can make and receive phone calls to/from  iPhones and android phones  ..... send and receive texts to both iPhones and android phones .......... and my son has even done a FaceTime call with my mom ........ everything works just like at home.

This is what we do also.  We did this on the Oasis with no issues.