Navigating around the hurricanes. 4 night Navigator Cruise 9/23-9/27

GregD

Awesome blog!  I really enjoyed following along, especially the little surprises that you had for your kids.  Your photo with your son on the bag made me laugh.  We have one just like that from three years ago, except it was at Hollywood Studios while waiting for the Star Wars Galactic Spectacular.

On 9/21/2019 at 10:56 AM, emsff02 said:

Debacle in Miami

So laaaaaaate last night we made it to Miami. On a suggestion from @MotleyCruiser we picked up our rental car from Sixt. Quite and easy process. They didn't have the vehicle class we originally booked to Upgrade!! The salesman said I had a choice between a Chevy Tahoe, or a GMC Yukon, I told him it didn't matter to me. "I'll give you the Yukon, its a more reliable vehicle" he says. I didn't have the heart to tell him, you know, they are the exact same car, just a different badge on the front.....EIther way it is a nice car. Unfortunately this is where the good times end.

So this is where it pays to research, research, research. Heather, through work uses Hilton based hotels for points etc. So we picked The Gates Hotel South Beach, which is a Double Tree. Normally we have good results with these hotels. We knew that we would pay more because its right off the beach so we were okay with that. Heather got her online check in notification which allows her to pick her room. We pick on on the eigth floor which overlooks the pool area etc. Perfect, off we go to the airport.

We pull into the hotel and surprise, there is no onsite parking. You have the privilege of valet parking for $42 a day.....ugh.....its South Beach....fine.......

We go up to the desk....Oh the room you requested is not available.....You can have this one, it still overlooks the pool area towards the beach....Okay fine that works.....We head up to the room to this....IMG_6679.thumb.jpg.638f2ee7d98f2a5167674689b2d5f969.jpgIMG_6678.thumb.jpg.72fdd06f2cd27c92a3066a488bd20dca.jpg 

What in the actual...........

So back down to the desk we go. New room, which thankfully was clean. The hotel did make good. They removed the nightly "resort fee" and gave us 50% off our first night stay. Feeling a little better now.

The beds were actually comfortable.

Breakfast.......$25 dollars for a continental breakfast buffet per person, oh if you want hot things like eggs? Thats another $6.

No thanks...Went to Denny's

I read your entire blog and we are going on our first cruise on 10/14 and its the same one you went on which was very informative.  Unfortunately we also booked the same hotel that you did.  When I booked it some time back the reviews seemed pretty good, but now it seems like most of the reviews have not been good.  Its only 2 nights, but I'm a little worried.  We are ubering so won't be paying for parking at least. 

1 hour ago, guppyfresh said:

I read your entire blog and we are going on our first cruise on 10/14 and its the same one you went on which was very informative.  Unfortunately we also booked the same hotel that you did.  When I booked it some time back the reviews seemed pretty good, but now it seems like most of the reviews have not been good.  Its only 2 nights, but I'm a little worried.  We are ubering so won't be paying for parking at least. 

Thanks for reading! We were in the same situation. When we booked, the reviews seemed good. Now, after our stay, we probably wouldnt stay there again. Good luck with your stay, I hope it is less adventurous than ours. Enjoy your cruise!