RCCL Mattresses

Rhason B.

The preference for mattress feel and firmness must be a big deal, because mattress designers/engineers know even couples can't compromise on mattress preferences that they've even come up with options for each side of the bed (I'm looking at you, Sleep Number beds!)   I think it will be close to impossible for a cruise line to satisfy all mattress preferences.  Imagine that extra option that has to be added right after choosing your stateroom!  ?

721723243_ScreenShot2019-09-18at11_34_58AM.thumb.png.7e469847377dae7ede01159c0925b8cd.png

6 minutes ago, RatedPG said:

The preference for mattress feel and firmness must be a big deal, because mattress designers/engineers know even couples can't compromise on mattress preferences that they've even come up with options for each side of the bed (I'm looking at you, Sleep Number beds!)   I think it will be close to impossible for a cruise line to satisfy all mattress preferences.  Imagine that extra option that has to be added right after choosing your stateroom!  ?

721723243_ScreenShot2019-09-18at11_34_58AM.thumb.png.7e469847377dae7ede01159c0925b8cd.png

On top of that imagine, like one of the hotels we stayed at in Boston, as well as a lot of other nicer hotels out there have started, you got to choose your pillow from a "pillow library!" ?

1 minute ago, FManke said:

On top of that imagine, like one of the hotels we stayed at in Boston, as well as a lot of other nicer hotels out there have started, you got to choose your pillow from a "pillow library!" ?

You're making me want to create another spoof page with pillow options... and then another one with sleep habits - side sleeper, back sleeper, stomach sleeper... ?

5 minutes ago, RatedPG said:

You're making me want to create another spoof page with pillow options... and then another one with sleep habits - side sleeper, back sleeper, stomach sleeper... ?

I'd like to book a GS with an extra firm mattress with a pillow topper, one poly- fill medium pillow for my side sleeping wife and a medium firm mattress with a hard memory foam pillow for my back sleeping self. Too much to ask? I might need a Genie for that!

1 minute ago, FManke said:

I'd like to book a GS with an extra firm mattress with a pillow topper, one poly- fill medium pillow for my side sleeping wife and a medium firm mattress with a hard memory foam pillow for my back sleeping self. Too much to ask? I might need a Genie for that!

Goose down?  feather? alternative? hypo-allergenic?

5 hours ago, amanx said:

this was uncalled for.  i read your thread as i am interested in how people felt about the mattresses, but am aware everyones preferences are different.  for instance, didnt know you could get a quilted topper.

Thanks, I'm just asking questions, i thought that was part of the reason for this blog?‍♂️?‍♀️?‍♂️?‍♀️

We are currently on Independence and I would say the mattress is firm but comfortable. I do find the pillows rather large for my liking? I take sleeping pills while we are away as I am a light sleeper and noises and changes in environment tend to keep me awake otherwise.

On 9/16/2019 at 10:09 AM, Matt said:

Are the beds comfortable? Does broccoli taste good? Is that new movie any good? Is 11pm too late to stay up?

The answers are going to very subjective. Just because some say one thing doesn't mean that will be your experience.

Is it wrong that I feel able to answer these with absolute certainty? 

Just off Anthem and the bed was firm, a bit too firm for my taste and my wife. We did have the cabin attendant put an extra pillow top on and still kinda hard. There was this very hard spot on the bed right where my hip would be when I laid on either my left or right side. Almost like when we had couch pull out beds and there was that bar directly across the bed where the stand would be. 

I mean I could sleep but it wasn't all that great. I usually don't complain and actually I'm not right now, I'm just relaying my experience. This is our second time on Anthem and same both times. We are hoping Oasis in May will be better because it's going into a major dry dock next month. 

On 9/18/2019 at 9:33 AM, PRebecca said:

Was on Navigator this past weekend, also read the 'these mattresses suck'  postings on social media and got a little concerned for my husband after reading that. The mattress we were on was fine, I had no complaints, and I agree ones frame of mind going in dictates having a great cruise or not.

LOVED Navigator! Enjoy! Try obsessing about the good stuff, it worked for my over thinking mind ?

I have never had any problems on with any mattress on  any Royal ship. ! ?

So, I'm gonna throw in another related topic...the sofabeds.  The ones on the Explorer were awful, but not awful enough to ruin the cruise.  I will be cruising in January on NoS (in a JS)with my mother, sister and niece.  3 of us are overweight.  I've been given different descriptions of what the sofabeds are.  I've heard they are the kind with mattresses, like home.  I've heard they are the kind in which the seats and seatbacks become the mattress.  I'm not sure what to expect this time.

Personally i think the best solution for uncomfortable beds is a bottle of red wine ???

After downing a bottle you wont care what the beds like! The only concern you will have is whether you actually manage to get in it or end up sleeping on the floor lol

On a serious note Matt is correct 

What one person likes another may hate. I cant sleep with lots of pillows, in fact i can only sleep if my head is on about 2 square inches of the corner, yet my wife likes so many pillows that when she lifts her head up she bangs it off the ceiling. 

Remember you are on vacation dont let little things such as how comfortable the bed is be an issue ?

• 2 months later...
On 9/14/2019 at 9:17 PM, Rhason B. said:

I'm reading horror stories about mattresses quality on RCCL ships (other discussionsites). However, I wanted to bring this question to the blog because I believe this is the place for the most informative answers

I was on the Navigator last week and in Sept, the beds are hard, but under the bed there is always bed toppers, there was two under mine and I used both of them, it did help a little but our backs was still hurting ?

• 3 years later...

Royal beds are terrible. Mattress topper helps but only slightly. If you're sleep deprived fun is tough to be had. I am dissatisfied with the beds completely!! We are on odyssey right now. We are diamond members in Crown and Anchor and remember getting the best sleep ever on a RC ships pre the hard-bed purchase. These are not firm they are rock hard! 

9 hours ago, peneloph said:

Royal beds are terrible. Mattress topper helps but only slightly. If you're sleep deprived fun is tough to be had. I am dissatisfied with the beds completely!! We are on odyssey right now. We are diamond members in Crown and Anchor and remember getting the best sleep ever on a RC ships pre the hard-bed purchase. These are not firm they are rock hard! 

They are hard but I can't tell you how many times I've checked into a hotel and lay on the mattress and one or both sides of the mattress are depressed. You try sleeping in the middle of the mattress but then if you roll over in your sleep you fall into the rut made by other people. 

With the kind of turnaround cruise ships see a rock hard mattress is probably the only thing that can stand up to the abuse.   If Royal were to use softer mattresses they would either have to constantly replace them which costs money or passengers allow passengers to sleep on deformed mattresses which isn't acceptable either. 

12 hours ago, peneloph said:

We did Odyssey in January, JS, and the bed was the best, not hard but rather just slightly firm, on any RC cruise we have been on. Loved the room as well and wish we could take it with us on all cruises! lol  WOS in a couple of weeks, first time on this ship, and from what I have read they are supposed to be a bit better than others but we will see.

10 hours ago, Mike n Ky said:

We did Odyssey in January, JS, and the bed was the best, not hard but rather just slightly firm, on any RC cruise we have been on. Loved the room as well and wish we could take it with us on all cruises! lol  WOS in a couple of weeks, first time on this ship, and from what I have read they are supposed to be a bit better than others but we will see.

WOS mattress was very comfortable. But the pillows were way too large. Requested a smaller pillow, took a day to get it though.

On 4/13/2023 at 9:19 PM, Starrynight0154 said:

WOS mattress was very comfortable. But the pillows were way too large. Requested a smaller pillow, took a day to get it though.

I bring my own down pillow...use a bag to suck out all the air and throw it in the suitcase. lol

• 7 months later...

https://www.royalcaribbeanbeddingcollection.com/category/mattress/

47 minutes ago, Maggie M said:

Does anyone know what kind of mattresses they use?  Are they the same across all ships except different in the suites?  I tried the website but it doesn't appear to be working...

Try this website with a collection of mattresses.

The 'Collection' is sold through a bedding store in Miami. Can't vouch for the mattresses, but I spent a whooole lot of money on a pair of King pillows from the 'Collection '. Utter junk, like laying your head on 2 manhole covers.

That said, the bedding (including pillows) on the 3 ships we have experienced  was fabulous.