RCCL Mattresses

Rhason B.

So ladies and gentlemen,

I'm reading horror stories about mattresses quality on RCCL ships (other discussionsites). However, I wanted to bring this question to the blog because I believe this is the place for the most informative answers??

Question, Are RCCL beds comfortable or not? I'm particularly interested in those who have sailed Navigator of the Seas this year(taking into account everyone prefers different levels of firmness in a mattress). I am fond of Medium mattresses.Thanks for the help guys and gals. As a newbie to cruising I'm finding myself obsessed with everything cruise related..lol..

I have experienced some very hard mattresses in the past but it seems that lately they’ve been better.  Maybe I’m just getting used to them. I used to write and ask for a mattress topper but all they do is add one of those thin, quilted mattress pads so it was a waste of time. I no longer do that.  I do, however, ask my cabin attendant to place 2 folded duvets beneath the sheet and it helps some.  It’s just easier to deal directly with the cabin attendant.  

4 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I have experienced some very hard mattresses in the past but it seems that lately they’ve been better.  Maybe I’m just getting used to them. I used to write and ask for a mattress topper but all they do is add one of those thin, quilted mattress pads so it was a waste of time. I no longer do that.  I do, however, ask my cabin attendant to place 2 folded duvets beneath the sheet and it helps some.  It’s just easier to deal directly with the cabin attendant.  

WAAAYTOOO, that is what our attendant did too, she said the actual toppers would not help me. 

I should've made that clearer on my original post, thanks!

If you have issues, talk to your attendant, they are so helpful!!  

Hello!  I have not sailed on NOS, but I have sailed on quite a few others, I can tell you that we have only had an issue on one cruise on Vision of the Seas.  The beds were so hard that we were taking Benadryl to fall asleep (wish I knew about this board and tips that I have since learned).  But outside of that one particular cruise we have had NO issues with the beds, we are both side sleepers and prefer a medium bed.  

I sleep way better on a cruise than I do at home - I cannot find a mattress that I'm comfortable on at home. Or maybe it's the pillows.  All I know is that the only time I ever get quality sleep is when I'm on a cruise (so imagine that I never got a decent sleep between 2010 and 2019, when I had a break from cruising!) At least I sleep well 2-3 times a year now, lol.

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

Are the beds comfortable? 

The answers are going to very subjective. Just because some say one thing doesn't mean that will be your experience.

People, think about going mattress shopping, particularly with a significant other/spouse.  We all have different firmness/softness we like in a mattress.  The same applies here.  If you are not comfortable to the point where you cannot sleep, try to ask nicely to your stateroom attendant to see if there is anything they can do to make it better.  But note, that they may not be able to however, it doesn't hurt to ask nicely.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Are the beds comfortable? Does broccoli taste good? Is that new movie any good? Is 11pm too late to stay up?

The answers are going to very subjective. Just because some say one thing doesn't mean that will be your experience.

There's no need for the sarcasm Matt, I'm aware of this moot point. However, I wanted people's opinion. And I wanted other people's experiences overall and possible remedies if they in fact did experience a mattress that was  uncomfortable to them (I Am Brand New To Cruising). If there's not any helpful information that you can offer, please can you refrain from posting to my comment section.

32 minutes ago, Rhason B. said:

There's no need for the sarcasm Matt, I'm aware of this moot point. However, I wanted people's opinion. And I wanted other people's experiences overall and possible remedies if they in fact did experience a mattress that was  uncomfortable to them (I Am Brand New To Cruising). If there's not any helpful information that you can offer, please can you refrain from posting to my comment section.

I don’t believe Matt was trying to be sarcastic. He was trying to point out that people’s taste in mattresses are indeed subjective. And I would be careful about being rude to him because he is the creator and maintainer of this entire site and blog. He may not get offended but others trying to offer you advice might. I myself am already upset at your response to him.

On 9/14/2019 at 9:17 PM, Rhason B. said:

So ladies and gentlemen,

I'm reading horror stories about mattresses quality on RCCL ships (other discussionsites). However, I wanted to bring this question to the blog because I believe this is the place for the most informative answers??

Question, Are RCCL beds comfortable or not? I'm particularly interested in those who have sailed Navigator of the Seas this year(taking into account everyone prefers different levels of firmness in a mattress). I am fond of Medium mattresses.Thanks for the help guys and gals. As a newbie to cruising I'm finding myself obsessed with everything cruise related..lol..

We recently sailed the Harmony and our stateroom attendant swapped out the mattress for my wife -- she wanted something softer for her bad back.  So I'd recommend talking to your Stateroom Attendant.

3 hours ago, Rhason B. said:

From this reply, I could see that mattresses will not be your only problem when you sail.

6 hours ago, Oliver said:

I don’t believe Matt was trying to be sarcastic. He was trying to point out that people’s taste in mattresses are indeed subjective. And I would be careful about being rude to him because he is the creator and maintainer of this entire site and blog. He may not get offended but others trying to offer you advice might. I myself am already upset at your response to him.

And as I stated before and in the post itself, I am aware of people's taste, and that they vary. And as to being careful, I am free to feel what I want and respond how I want.  You being upset by response does not change how his response seemed sarcastic. We all have opinions???

5 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

We recently sailed the Harmony and our stateroom attendant swapped out the mattress for my wife -- she wanted something softer for her bad back.  So I'd recommend talking to your Stateroom Attendant.

Thank you for your help. I'm new to sailing and want to just make sure that I know what to do if the situation arise 

We have been on many cruises on many ships on many lines.  I have never had a mattress problem.  There were a few times Ceil did ask for a softer mattress from our attendant who was able to satisfy her.  Actually, she is much more likely to ask for a softer pillow than a softer mattress.  That she has asked for many times...

In all of our cruising, the only time we had a horrible bed was on the Radiance in July 2018.  It was so uncomfortable.  We ask for a mattress topper and it was just a lumpy hard cotton thing that reminded me of a moving pad.  That still didn't stop us from having one of the best "bucket-list" cruises ever!

21 hours ago, Rhason B. said:

There's no need for the sarcasm Matt, I'm aware of this moot point. However, I wanted people's opinion.

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, just pointing out that you can probably find people that will say the mattress is comfortable and others that say it is uncomfortable. Quite frankly, not sure what that really proves, or helps you.

My concern is I've seen too often people that read negative things and start to become overly concerned that their cruise is "ruined" before it even begins.  

21 hours ago, Rhason B. said:

And I wanted other people's experiences overall and possible remedies if they in fact did experience a mattress that was  uncomfortable to them (I Am Brand New To Cruising).

I can understand your point here, and I think that's a good question.

9 hours ago, Matt said:

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, just pointing out that you can probably find people that will say the mattress is comfortable and others that say it is uncomfortable. Quite frankly, not sure what that really proves, or helps you.

My concern is I've seen too often people that read negative things and start to become overly concerned that their cruise is "ruined" before it even begins.  

I can understand your point here, and I think that's a good question.

Thanks man, I'm just nervous about everything going good for me and my partner. It's our first cruise and my first time to the bahamas. I apologize if my response was curt. I have become cruise obsessed..lol...so I'm tryna detox myself????

On 9/16/2019 at 4:53 PM, Rhason B. said:

this was uncalled for.  i read your thread as i am interested in how people felt about the mattresses, but am aware everyones preferences are different.  for instance, didnt know you could get a quilted topper.

Was on Navigator this past weekend, also read the 'these mattresses suck'  postings on social media and got a little concerned for my husband after reading that. The mattress we were on was fine, I had no complaints, and I agree ones frame of mind going in dictates having a great cruise or not.

LOVED Navigator! Enjoy! Try obsessing about the good stuff, it worked for my over thinking mind ?