WRINKLED CLOTHES- WHAT DO YOU DO?

bookit

Embrace it, wear wrinkles LOL

Seriously though, in the beginning I'd send all my shirts for pressing then not wear some. I'll only consider press for formal night now. I iron at home and do my best to pack it safely. Worst case, as suggested, steam from shower and wrinkle release.

Otherwise, it's embracing the wrinkles.

Roll your clothes when packing if possible instead of folding...  and downy wrinkle release spray when you unpack.  Steam in bathroom can help some too. 

You can make DIY wrinkle release spray too. It's basically watered down fabric softener.  Just google search and some instructions should pop up. 

Get a couple of outfits that don't wrinkle just for cruising. Or as @sk8erguy1978 said, just embrace the wrinkles. Personally I have a few tops in some sort of poly-blend fabric that I enjoy and I have no problems.

Of course, I'm also #teamNoMakeup for cruising, so maybe I'm not the best one to give advice ? 

8 hours ago, bookit said:

how do you not ruin your clothes using a hair straightener?   I would be too afraid-and I don't understand why a steamer isn't allowed-  all it does is boil the water init ? whats the harm?

Sorry, it does depend on the fabric. Steamers and irons are just never allowed on board.

8 hours ago, bookit said:

how do you not ruin your clothes using a hair straightener?   I would be too afraid-and I don't understand why a steamer isn't allowed-  all it does is boil the water init ? whats the harm?

You set it on the very lowest setting.  I do not use a hair straightener for my hair, but I have one for my cruises....cheap.  You do just a quick pull through.

On 9/13/2019 at 10:27 PM, bookit said:

How can we get wrinkles out without paying for them to do?  Steamers?

I just got back from a cruise without wrinkle problems using the advice of @Lovetocruise2002 -- After unpacking, I put one or two items each day in the bathroom when I shower, and the absorbed moisture helps shirts or pants smooth out by dinner.  Plus no one really cares that much about a wrinkle or two....My wife hasn't had any reportable problems.

I have a lot of cotton clothes on a cruise.  They get ironed or sent to the dry cleaner/laundry before the cruise.  Either way, I hang my clothes by outfits and cover them with dry cleaner bags.  They go in as the last items in my suitcase.  I do the same with my husband's dress pants etc.

They aren't wrinkled when we board the ship even when packed a few days before the cruise.  Having the items on hangers makes for easy unpacking.  If I have unworn clothes, which is usually the case, it makes for easy packing to take home and the clothes don't touch the dirty clothes in the suitcase on the way home.  Easy peasy and I've done this for at least 10 years and it works every time.

Agree with all of the above advice - well, I've never tried the hair straightener, but that's a good thought!  First of all, I roll most of my clothes.  T-shirts, I stack & then roll - the thicker roll helps prevents wrinkles on thin items like t-shirts.  Same with my dresses.  I don't roll my husband's dress shirts - I fold them very strategically and they always go on top. 

I unpack as soon as our luggage is delivered to our room & hang everything up.  I spray Downy Wrinkle Release on them when I hang them & generally that does the trick.  If they still need a little help, I hang them in the shower.

Truly, rolling is the most efficient packing method for nearly everything.  It is such a space saver & the better wrinkle prevention method.  Check out YouTube if you need some tutorials.  I know I sound a bit dramatic when I say it was life changing when I starting packing this way, but honestly - life changing!?

Wrinkle release spray, the bathroom steaming trick, and rolling clothes will keep the wrinkles to a minimum, or at least wrinkling to the point that I look like I slept in the clothes.  

And yes, pressing for formal night is a nice thing.

Also for me, there are certain fabrics and patterns that will show up even the slightest wrinkle.  These are usualy synthetic cloth, or medium colors (Khakis tend to be my biggest culprit to the wrinkle monster).  So instead of khakis, I'll wear dark blues or blacks (I'm a sucker for my yoga pants, I live in them and work in them and they never succumb to the wrinkle monster)  I wont wear blouses with elaborate ruffles or peplums or fluttery things.  Those adornments are thin and they will wrinkle and the shower trick even struggles to get ruffle wrinkles out.  For menswear, like those shirts for formal night, if you have your dry cleaner package them with tissue paper, it tends to  help fight the wrinkle monster.  Otherwise, darker colors tend to hide the wrinkling better.  

Finally, yes I agree with "embrace the wrinkles".  Yes, there will be wrinkles on your clothes.  Everyone on the ship are going to have wrinkles on their clothes unless they spend a small fortune for pressing everything.  If you choose to pay for pressing, pay for formal night clothes, maybe even reuse the formal night clothes.  Maybe that means bringing 2 dress shirts, having them pressed on night 1, and then alternate your dress shirt wearing just for dinner, so your amount of wear is reduced.  

On 9/13/2019 at 10:53 PM, bookit said:

-and I don't understand why a steamer isn't allowed-  all it does is boil the water init ? whats the harm?

I have brought my mini-steamer on 4 cruises now and it has never been confiscated from my suitcase. We are always very careful to unplug and empty it when not in use (both at home and on the ship).

I agree that since hot hair tools are allowed, it doesn't make sense that a steamer is not.

9 minutes ago, raahc said:

Just a question here, I'm allergic to fragrance so I can't use the wrinkle release sprays.  I prefer warm showers as well.  I was planning to bring a spray bottle and spray water on our clothes, then use the hair dryer on low setting.  Has anyone used this method?

Yup, sans the spray and just use my wet hands to roll over the wrinkly areas. It's not perfect but it works. My stuff isn't too bad though, I roll my blouses and dresses and it seems to cut down on the wrinkles.

31 minutes ago, raahc said:

I was planning to bring a spray bottle and spray water on our clothes, then use the hair dryer on low setting.  Has anyone used this method?

I also wanted to do this, but I haven't tried it yet. I brought a sprayer bottle with me before but I was too lazy to "faux-steam" my clothes.  I've read that the dryers in the room are low power ones.  You might want to bring your own hair dryer if you wanted to try this technique.

2 hours ago, ellcee said:

Yup, sans the spray and just use my wet hands to roll over the wrinkly areas. It's not perfect but it works. My stuff isn't too bad though, I roll my blouses and dresses and it seems to cut down on the wrinkles.

That's great!

1 hour ago, RatedPG said:

I also wanted to do this, but I haven't tried it yet. I brought a sprayer bottle with me before but I was too lazy to "faux-steam" my clothes.  I've read that the dryers in the room are low power ones.  You might want to bring your own hair dryer if you wanted to try this technique.

Thanks, we have a mini hair dryer that is powerful and it's on my packing list ?

1 hour ago, twangster said:

People say to roll your clothes.  I tried it once.

My suitcase has wheels on the bottom and I rolled it all the way.  Clothes were still wrinkled. Perhaps the airline didn’t roll my suitcase.  

I could be wrong, but I thought the "rolling your clothes" method was about space saving, rather than wrinkle protection. 

18 hours ago, Matt said:

I could be wrong, but I thought the "rolling your clothes" method was about space saving, rather than wrinkle protection. 

I tried rolling clothes and they got wrinkled badly in random places, looking like I got them out of a hamper.  At least my folded clothes only got creases at the fold and when people saw them, they knew I was traveling.

Rolling clothes can help a lot but you just can't do it quickly. Each item needs to be ironed, then when rolling make sure the pieces are flat and not creasing anywhere. Once you're done and put them in the bag they won't move or make any new creases, so if you're careful it can work really well. 

But I'm curious if anyone else does this. My wife and I just brought a hanging bag for most of our clothes. We both had smaller suitcases filled with things like underwear, bathing suits, etc that you don't care if it wrinkles. But all of our clothes for changing into during the night we just placed into a hanging bag for each of us. ?‍♂️ Could just be us, but that worked REALLY well for not wrinkling things.

10 minutes ago, Ala_Paul said:

But I'm curious if anyone else does this. My wife and I just brought a hanging bag for most of our clothes.

We have a garment bag that we put all of our hanging clothes in.  It does a very good job of keeping clothes from getting wrinkled and it has wheels so you don't have to lug around a hanging bag.  ...but it's a pretty big piece of luggage.  I normally only bring the garment bag when I am on a cruise of 7 nights or longer b/c it has become our habit to not participate in formal nights on any short cruises.  It's just not worth the hassle of bringing all that stuff for less than 7 nights.  But yes...I do also believe that the hanging bags/garment bags do a great job of minimizing wrinkles.