Starting to second guess my choice of ship...

cjappert

We are booked for a 13 day southern Caribbean on anthem of the sea. I'm starting to second guess it now. This will only be our second cruise. Our first was with Celebrity on the Reflection. The AOS is quite a bit bigger than the Reflection. I've heard from a few people that they would never go back on a big ship like that because it was so crowded, all they did was wait. Now I'm nervous!! I'd love to get some different opinions on it.

Also, is the premium drink package really 80$ a day?? that's what its tell me ( in CAD $) which seems to be pretty high!

I love big ships!!! the more the merrier.  they have more venues, etc so the crowd is pretty spread out.  The drink package is what it is, if you drink about 6 drinks a day it cover the cost because individual drinks are pretty price also (about $12 US for a nice drink).  So, it depends on how much you plan to drink and how much you will physically be on the ship (if you will be in port for long times many of the days, may not be worth it -- you cannot select days you want to buy the package for, it is for everyday starting the day you buy the package).

Keep in mind that there are always going to be complainers and I'm one of them. However, I think the fathers of the big ships outweigh any cons with regards to crowds. And to be honest, I haven't felt that the larger ships are any more crowded than the smaller ships. As the previous poster said, there are more venues which spreads out the passengers.

i have been on Anthem twice and found there was no crowding what so ever. as others have said people do different things at different times during the day and everything is spread out really really well. you defiantly wouldn't notice there were 4000+ passengers onboard.

the only area I found crowded was the windjammer at breakfast but that's to be expected I suppose, overall I did not find it crowded what so ever and everywhere had enough staff to cope with demand.

Don't let those nay-sayers scare you.  The big ships are the BEST.  Although I have not yet sailed on a Q class, I LOVE the Oasis class...which are even bigger...and aside from immediately after the lifeboat drill and immediately when they open the gangways to offboarding at a port (the second one is EASY to avoid !), there are few times that you will feel "crowded".

Relax...and enjoy it !

My wife likes the Oasis class, me not so much.  Not really the crowd (it is crowded at places but is like that on every ship) but I tend to get lost and always seem to wind up at the wrong end of the boat...  I'm a guy so I don't ask for directions or look at the maps..  :D

Just returned on Independence of the Seas and did not notice crowds.  The ship is so big the crowds are dispersed among all the activities, bars, restaurants, etc.  Big is better in terms of so much to see and do.  You will have a good time.

To your point, I was on Allure of the Seas and also rarely noticed crowding.  Certainly not crowding that made me think there were 6000 passengers with me.

Royal ships typically do a good job at spreading out crowds as previous posters have mentioned.

For a 9-night sailing, I would never buy a drink package. As a previous poster mentioned, it would equate to about 6 drinks per day--and with several days in-port (where I wouldn't consume 6 drinks onboard), I'm immediately losing money right there! Consider pre-loading some funds onto your account PRIOR to your cruise (estimate how much you might drink), so that you're not overpaying for the package, but you still soften the blow of the alcohol bill at the end!