Miami Port, Fort Lauderdale Airport

Baked Alaska

Hi everyone. Several threads going on right now about FLL transportation, but I've got a question with a twist. I know it has been asked in one form or another, but can't find exactly what I'm looking for. We debark at Port of Miami (Oasis of the Seas March 2020) on a Sunday. What is the earliest flight we should consider? We are in a Sky Class suite. I'm thinking 11:30 AM might be the earliest. We would definitely grab a taxi/uber/lyft. Southwest is scheduled to open up the rest of March and April next week.

I went from Port Everglades to the Miami Airport last weekend.  We strolled off the ship basically at last call and picked up an Uber at 9:30am.  We arrived at the Miami Airport at 10:18am

Give yourself an hour of ride time between Port of Miami and FLL.

The biggest issue at Port of Miami is that the area where rideshares pick up tends to get congested and backs up the longer you wait to debark.  I've walked off Symphony at Terminal A in Miami at 6:45am and had absolutely no wait to get off the ship and there was hardly anyone waiting for rides.  I came back to pick up the rest of my party around 8:30am and it was a mess.

I think 11:30 is reasonable if you don't purposefully take your time getting off the ship.  

7 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

Are you putting taxis in with the rideshares? 

The few times I've navigated Terminal A it's been a mess.  Cabs, rideshares, personal pick-ups all enter at the same place but their lane and spot at the curb to pull over is in a different spot.  The rideshares and personal pick-ups are directed to pull up towards the end and debarking passengers are supposed to pay attention to which post/zone they are standing by and reference the number on the pole so their ride knows where to get them. 

In theory, the taxis should all be in a lane for you to walk out and get into, but sometimes there's a delay because no one is giving much direction at the entrance of the port.  Drop offs happen when they first pull in and the port workers are yelling at everyone that pulls in to keep moving.  It's pretty chaotic.

My standard Uber ride between Port Everglades to Miami Airport was $40.85.   So you can expect it to cost that much for Uber/Lyft from POM to FLL if you want to price out taxis.

We live on the edge and have made a 9:45 am flight out of FLL (Symphony) and a 9:30 flight out of MIA (Navigator) from terminal A.  The Navigator one was a bit tighter than I would have liked as the ship didn't start disembarking until 7:45 where Symphony disembarked at around 6:45 (lined up at 6:30).  Once self disembarkation started, we were off the ship and to the curb in 8 minutes, grabbed a lyft 2 minutes later and we were eating breakfast in the FLL airport by 7:45. Of course there is a million things that could go wrong but we were willing to risk it vs taking a much later flight.

I agree with @AshleyDillo that the longer you wait the messier the traffic is by Terminal A.  If your flight is at 11:30, then I'd try to get off the ship at 8:30 to give yourself an extra hour just in case.  I'd rather sit in the airport for an hour than the ship for an hour and get stuck in a crazy traffic jam.  

2 hours ago, twangster said:

If you are thinking about using luggage valet you should look at the times that flights can be booked after.

So, I could use a luggage valet for FLL for a ship arriving at Terminal A Miami? I was under impression that that option would only be available for flights out of Miami. This would be good news. Where would I find the luggage valet times?

1 minute ago, Baked Alaska said:

So, I could use a luggage valet for FLL for a ship arriving at Terminal A Miami? I was under impression that that option would only be available for flights out of Miami. This would be good news. Where would I find the luggage valet times?

Yes.  I believe (but don’t quote me) that the earliest flight you can book if you are traveling from Port of Miami but flying out of FLL is 2PM.  Luggage Valet is awesome.  Best $25 you can spend.

5 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

At the moment, there is no LV out of terminal A to MIA or FLL.

44 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

I wonder why they suspended it. Do you think this will change?

I don't know if they ever started it at Teminal A.  As as July when we sailed Symphony, they never had it up and running yet.  In speaking to the suite concierge, they were still trying to get it approved.