Hair Dryers

TinaLouise

5 minutes ago, 12thman said:

Where can you get a decent travel hair dryer in Fort Lauderdale? Told my wife to bring hers now I'll be shopping for a dryer tomorrow. 

I'm sure Walmart or Target has some.  I'm not sure what you mean by decent.  I personally prefer my regular sized hairdryer over a travel one because I prefer the max wattage.  I have a lot of thick hair though.  Enjoy your cruise!

9 minutes ago, 12thman said:

Where can you get a decent travel hair dryer in Fort Lauderdale? Told my wife to bring hers now I'll be shopping for a dryer tomorrow. 

Walmart or Target as suggested.  I suggest maybe finding the store that you are going to use and shop for it online and arrange to pick it up.  Otherwise your shopping trip for a hair dryer may turn into shopping for additional luggage for more impulse purchases ?

I would get a regular hair dryer, travel size really does not save you that much room.  You can also go to Publix or a CVS.  You might spend $3-5 more, but if you have no car, and there is one in walking distance from your hotel than you saved money that way instead of getting an Uber or Lyft.

Honestly, I think this comes down to her hair.  I always use their hair dryer.  I have short hair, but very thick.  My sister has fine hair, but medium length and she too uses theirs.  My DD has medium hair, below shoulder hair, but straight as a pin, she uses theirs.  My SIL jokingly says she has a horses mane (thick and coarse, below her shoulders), if she used theirs it would take her 2 hrs to blow dry her hair.

As stated you need to keep your finger on the push button for it to work, but many women rig the dryer.  They wrap an elastic band (hair tie or rubber band) around the button so it stays on while they use the dryer they can also brush out their hair.  The problem is even at their highest level, it is basically the low setting for their dryer at home.

Just me as a woman talking.  If it takes her more than 5 mins to blow dry her hair....google the closest store in FL from your hotel.

She's getting a kick out of me asking advice. She has just below shoulder length hair I'd say it's average thickness I guess? Her Dyson takes about 5 minutes so I think she needs a better one then the ship has. It's our first Royal cruise and I packed every activity in our trip. There's little time to waste drying one's hair. 

If it takes 5 minutes with a Dyson, than you want to find some store that sells a hair dryer, even a con-air.  

5 mins Dyson = 15 mins with the ships hair dryer....the whole time her finger has to be on the power button.  It will tick her off being tied to the desk.

The only way, as a woman I would say maybe, is if you said she is bringing a flat iron for her hair to make it look better.

•  Off topic, but on topic.  We do a balcony.  We go to WJ and make a plate of meats, cheeses, breads, etc to take to our cabin with a glass of wine before dinner.  We take showers, I let my hair dry a little on the balcony, while we watch the sunset.  Go in finish my hair with their dryer, come back and have another sip of wine, some more olives, or cheese, and go back to do my make up.  This is our nightly procedure, but we also never eat before 7.  WJ opens at 6, it takes 5 mins to make a plate and take it back to your room, since basically all you are getting is snacks to hold you off for dinner.  You are back in your cabin by 6:10.  Basically we hang in our cabin for @ an hr.  Very laid back getting ready for dinner.  It just sets the mood for us.  

Before I cut my hair short, I will say that due to my hair (wavy and thick), I could blow dry my hair, use the flat iron, spray it down with hair spay and after 10 minutes in that humidity, my waves were back and you could see the frizz starting.   As my hubby would say...doing my hair was wasting 30 mins of my time.  

I'm glad this post was made.  Thank you for making it,  @TinaLouise , and thank you to everyone who responded!!!

For some reason both my wife and I thought hair dryers were on the do not bring aboard list.  She was not looking forward to using the low powered one in the stateroom.

? 

I bring a little yellow drybar travel hair dryer and adore it.  Of course I seem to be collecting travel hair dryers lately and recently got a PYT travel hair dryer in a subscription box thing I do and that one works nicely as well.

If your hair requires any kind of heat or power to do what you need, the hairdryers onboard will be an exercise in frustration for you, they're underpowered and having to keep your finger on the button is just cruel to me.  

• 3 years later...

I’m booked on the Royal Caribbean Greek isles cruise from Rome. I have been told that the ship is American built and therefor uses American sockets. I recall the last time I was in America my own hair dryer wouldn’t work. I have a styled bob with requires a high power dryer with a very fine nozzle. The hairdryers in most hotels etc are never ideal for my style. Can anyone advise what what kind of dryer I need to buy to bring on the cruise? Thanks