Odyssey - Inaugural - YOLO

ptod

Would love to book.. but no thanks Royal. You can keep your discount.

I don't understand their motives here? Usually price conversion on other ships is within an acceptable range. I booked Harmony and Symphony for almost the same price when they were released.

UvQoVrs.png

JUAZoPF.png

Do MEI take international customers?

55 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Hope springs eternal, my friend! ?

Hate to tell you this Joe, but it doesn't look like the Odyssey will make it to Bayonne. Check this link out: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2019/09/12/odyssey-of-the-seas-will-homeport-fort-lauderdale-beginning-november-2020. Looks like Port Everglades will be the home port in 2020 and then off to Europe in 2021. ?

2 hours ago, rjac said:

Hate to tell you this Joe, but it doesn't look like the Odyssey will make it to Bayonne. Check this link out: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2019/09/12/odyssey-of-the-seas-will-homeport-fort-lauderdale-beginning-november-2020. Looks like Port Everglades will be the home port in 2020 and then off to Europe in 2021. ?

Moving Odyssey to Bayonne in 2022 and putting Anthem somewhere else would make a lot of sense.  Gives new life to both ships and a reason to book another cruise.   However it costs a lot of money to move a ship so we'll see. 

I booked Stateroom 11517 for the Inaugural sailing.  On the Anthem, this room is Category 4U, Interior with Virtual Balcony.  But on the Odyssey, it is Category 4V, no virtual balcony.

This is my first sailing in an Interior room.  I realized that in my past cruises, I've had ocean view and balcony rooms but I very rarely got on the balcony and looked out the window. My curtains were almost always closed.  However, I wouldn't mind if I got an Interior Room with a Virtual Balcony by an intern's ... I mean, call agent's mistake.

5 hours ago, twangster said:

Moving Odyssey to Bayonne in 2022 and putting Anthem somewhere else would make a lot of sense.  Gives new life to both ships and a reason to book another cruise.   However it costs a lot of money to move a ship so we'll see. 

This is what I'm hoping for. Presumably, Odyssey will have different shows than Anthem in the Two70 space and main theater, as well as being the "Quantum Plus" experience. That would give NJ cruisers a good reason after 6 years to look at Q class again, even if the itineraries aren't any different. I won't be surprised, though, if that continues to carry a premium over equivalent Anthem sailings even when the ship is a year and a half old at that point.

I've already been told by SWMBO that barring some major miracles in our budget, there will be no cruise for us in 2021 since we're already "blowing the wad" for the 2020 trip on top of some other big expenses. So a new ship arriving in 2022 and not bookable until November 2021, after a year to recover, would be some very good timing.

3 hours ago, JLMoran said:

I've already been told by SWMBO

Man, do I understand that brother! Today I wanted to stay home and watch a college football game. She wanted to go look at a new couch for our family room and fabric. Guess what I did! Monday I'm going to see a divorce lawyer..........just kidding. I set the dvr to record the game. :27_sunglasses:

7 minutes ago, RatedPG said:

Do you have an estimate of how many from this thread alone are going on the Inaugural sailing?

Just going through the thread...about 10-11 people and whoever is coming with them. But just so you know, there are many others who are not on the message boards who are part of the RCBlog cruising community who are also going. It’s going to be a good one! I’m really excited. Thinking we might all need a FB group or something to stay in contact? What do you all think?

3 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Just going through the thread...about 10-11 people and whoever is coming with them. But just so you know, there are many others who are not on the message boards who are part of the RCBlog cruising community who are also going. It’s going to be a good one! I’m really excited. Thinking we might all need a FB group or something to stay in contact? What do you all think?

I already started a FB group for this sailing, feel free to join.  

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2451939745090932/

18 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I'm thinking this thread will do for now.  I'm sure it will get others who are still on the fence to book the cruise.

21 minutes ago, yzfmik said:

I already started a FB group for this sailing, feel free to join.  

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2451939745090932/

You should share this on the RCperiscopers group as well. There are lots from there also going. I actually looked yesterday and couldn’t find one. 

2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

You should share this on the RCperiscopers group as well. There are lots from there also going. I actually looked yesterday and couldn’t find one. 

I looked too..of course I don't want the drama of being an admin ever and I am lazy so I didn't create one lol.

I know some genpop folks were asking about one so they might stumble upon it and be initiated into our little community! 

Update on trying to get hub to YOLO this.   Since our cruise in 41 days will be his first, he wants to wait and see with the YOLO.  I told him on an inaugural it will book very very fast.  I think he's more concerned about our move to SC, and then worry about another cruise.  I might be able to convince him once onboard and he'll love cruising as much as me, and we might be able to stop by the next cruise desk.

Question on that.  If I get the perks from the nextcruise desk, and I transfer the reservation to my MEI travel agent, would I still keep the perks from NextCruise?

18 minutes ago, ThyriC said:

Question on that.  If I get the perks from the nextcruise desk, and I transfer the reservation to my MEI travel agent, would I still keep the perks from NextCruise?

Yes.  Any OBC that you get from NextCruise should remain when you move the booking to a travel agent. 

Sometimes NextCruise bookings come with a reduced deposit such as $100.  In some cases when a travel agent is moving you into a group cruise that can require a certain level of deposit so you sometimes have to pay an additional deposit with group cruises when you transfer.  This doesn't apply with non-group cruises.  

5 hours ago, ThyriC said:

I told him on an inaugural it will book very very fast.

Yes to add to that the prices may rise.  Royal has not really announced what the exact plans are yet for this ship and I suspect that prices may rise a bit after that announcement. I noticed for my Oasis sailing it did.

Why not just grab a refundable now to secure pricing and then you could always cancel and deal with next cruise instead once you’ve decided. That’s what I would do in this scenario.

3 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Yes to add to that the prices may rise.  Royal has not really announced what the exact plans are yet for this ship and I suspect that prices may rise a bit after that announcement. I noticed for my Oasis sailing it did.

Why not just grab a refundable now to secure pricing and then you could always cancel and deal with next cruise instead once you’ve decided. That’s what I would do in this scenario.

To add to this, each class of cabin has categories,  For balcony cabins its common to have 2D, 4D, 7D, 8D etc.  There are prices differences as some can hold more guests, some might be a bit bigger or in a different location.  Sometimes the pricing is like:

8D - $1,200 pp

6D - $1,400 pp

4D - $1,600 pp

2D - $1,800 pp

Naturally the least expensive balconies sell out first.  Come back in a month and only 2D balconies are available so instead of paying $1,200 per person, you end up paying $1,800 per person.  

3 minutes ago, FManke said:

Just curious about the 6 and 8 day itineraries. Isn't that kind of unusual? Why not a standard 7 day?

Here's my guess - they wanted to do a unique itinerary (to Aruba and Curacao), which takes longer to get to, so that's an 8 day sailing. Which leaves 6 days to make it a 2-week rotation.

1 minute ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Here's my guess - they wanted to do a unique itinerary (to Aruba and Curacao), which takes longer to get to, so that's an 8 day sailing. Which leaves 6 days to make it a 2-week rotation.

That makes sense, I was just thinking about a 6 day followed by a 6 day or the same with the 8 day.

4 minutes ago, FManke said:

Just curious about the 6 and 8 day itineraries. Isn't that kind of unusual? Why not a standard 7 day?

Greater reach.  Southern Caribbean can't be done in 7 nights from Florida.

Also, terminals may be used by other ships on certain days.  By going 6/8 it can use the home terminals when other ships aren't there.

Plus 6 nights is attractive to some because it's cheaper than 7 or 8 nights.  

Oasis class works best in 7 night cycles.  By using 3/4, 6/8 or 5/9 cycles other ships provide alternatives that appeal to different guests or reach different destinations.