Cruise Kit - what's in yours?

KLA

On 9/12/2019 at 9:29 AM, KLA said:

So, whenever my husband and I pack for a cruise, we have what we refer to as our "cruise kit". This is basically a packing cube filled cruising essential items that always gets tossed in our bag prior to embarking on a cruise. These items include: 

• large, well lit alarm clock with USB ports (for those interior cabins so you know what time of day it is)
  • plug with extra outlets and usb ports (non-surge protected/no cord)
  • clips with magnets to stick to the walls (to hang up documentation and Cruise Compasses)
  • over the door shoe hanger to keep toiletries and medication in on the bathroom door
  • towel clips

Our latest addition: metal straws! 

What's in your "cruise kit"?

Thats pretty much ours too since we usually get interior rooms.   I always bring a mini LED flashlight and a multi-tool/knife too.   I'm strangely OCD about things like loose fasteners on cabinets and things so Ive fixed minor things in our cabin before....lol....wife thanks I'm nuts!     We also bring a pack of the Clorox healthcare grade hydrogen peroxide wipes that kill noro-virus and wipe down the room when we first arrive before we "move in"...things like door handles, light switches, faucets, shelves, remote control, etc.    Oh, and I always bring a 16oz stainless Yeti since I drink beer and they serve the 16oz wide mouth bottles onboard.    The bartenders always remember me cause I'm the guy with the metal can cooler....lol!

Another thing since the bathrooms are so small and have very little air movement is a small can of air freshener.   Unfortunately when you take a #2 it may be necessary in that tiny space for a few minutes afterwards.

23 minutes ago, klc317 said:

Another thing since the bathrooms are so small and have very little air movement is a small can of air freshener.   Unfortunately when you take a #2 it may be necessary in that tiny space for a few minutes afterwards.

This product has proven to be quite effective in dealing with this situation...

https://www.poopourri.com/pages/how-it-works

• 1 year later...

I have a tendency to take too much in my cruise kit. I usually pack quite a big med kit containing medicine for all kinds of different cases. My husband used to call me paranoid until he felt like shit on one of the trips, I identified what it was and gave him the right medicine. Now he doesn’t mind the big med kit lol. I take adapters for the outlet type of the country I’m going to. I have backup cables to charge all of our devices. I take my makeup and some essential skincare items with me too. I found an amazing non acetone nail polish remover and am always restocking before a trip. I guess this is it.

I pack a lot of the same as previous mentioned, but thought I'd add in the list of other ones I pack and covid updated:

1. Magic sheets (just A3 sheets that stays on the wall due to static), non perm markers in a variety of colours, whiteboard eraser - genius if you have kids, you can let them draw on the walls - and in these covid times with limited Adventure Ocean times, and security stalking the kids when they simply go to play somewhere else onboard (like sorrentos) - our cabin on Anthem became a place where kids could play etc...
  2. Magnetic hooks of different colours - so when your kids want to have the same masks as you, you can assign different colour hooks to each person to hang masks on.
  3. When travelling long haul with the kids I pack suncatchers and glass colour markers (think stained glass windows that can be put on the balcony doors)
  4. Also when travelling long haul I get the clear flat fridge magnets, blank paper and colour pens - the kids draw/colour their own mini pictures and then put them into the blank magenta to make their own.
  5. For in the cabin, I always have a lanyard kit/bag that I top up before each cruise - lots of lanyards (led ones went down well this time), lots of card holders (lots of designs), extra hooks/clips/carabiners, lanyard accessories (torches, clocks, pens, highlighters, whistles, little ornaments, spare dry hairbands, ribbon etc...) - the kids like making up fanciful lanyards and all their friends end up creating their own throughout the holiday...
  6. Tupperware box - to stock up on cookies before disembarkation for the trip home (breakfast far too early to eat on disembarkation day).
  7. Large mesh bags for dirty clothes, enough to split between dark, colours etc... then put the mesh bags straight in suitcase, and straight into washing machine when i get home - clothes only taken out of mesh bag after they have been washed...my best tip if you do all the laundry when you get home!

I have a zippered small zippered bag I use for mostly medical items.   First aid items, meds like anti-biotics, plus scissors, sewing kit, Tide stain stick, and highlighter. My husband has the electronic kit with a small battery clock, cords, USB cards, etc.  We also bring magnetic hooks.  They are always ready to go and we just put them in the luggage.  I also carry many ziploc bags on trips.  My suitcase has them in the pockets all the time.

To add a few things not mentioned yet:

• Ziplock Bags (for sandwiches to take on excursions, or to put items in to keep dry at the beach)
  • soft sided cooler (for taking a picnic on an excursion)
  • binoculars
  • beach bag with sunscreen
  • this time I'm adding KN95 colored face masks to wear when I have to wear a mask . . . 

I have a travel bag: it has pain meds, first aid kits, disinfected spray, medical grade antibacterial wipes, Ziploc bags, travel sizes toiletries and misc. tech supplies. I started this in 2015 and have used it for every trip since then. In 2018 I started cruising more and added Dramamine, metal hooks and lanyards/plastic sleeves. The only 2021 addition will be mask.

5 minutes ago, Luv2Travel said:

To add a few things not mentioned yet:

• Ziplock Bags (for sandwiches to take on excursions, or to put items in to keep dry at the beach

I pack each of my little toiletry bottles in a baggie and then I have them for use if I need them for anything else. I usually do the tiny travel size toiletries so I don't need to bring them home anyways.  But I always have baggies on me because of this. Same for plastic grocery bags..wrap each shoe in one to and then if I need them I have them..and I stuff my shoes with socks and underwear to keep their shape.

Actually have 3 tubs.   Each for a different climate or time of year.  

All from Dollar store or Amazon:  Small LED flashlight, travel thermal mug with lid,  mesh laundry bags, wine bottle transport envelopes, lounge towel clips, magnetic clips, chargers, lanyards, fold up zipper tour bag for excursions/shopping, plastic luggage tag holders, sticky pad with marker,   large zip lock bags for water shoes and swim gear/ or contain a cold cloth for excursions, USB charging hub for camera and phones

Yes to the night lights,  and mini med bags, but my must-have travel item is my set of booze protector travel bags.  I have managed to bring back some lovely treats with the help of these bags (you all in Florida are lucky that you can drive home and don't have to worry about damaging these boozy treasures!). 😆

I learned the hard way to take Imodium with me after my first cruise.  I have IBS and gluten intolerance.  I think I ended up consuming gluten somewhere and had some issues.  Went down to the medical facility to get some Imodium and ended up getting quarantined for a day (stupidly went right after blow drying my hair so temp was raised when they used a forehead thermometer).  This time, I am taking all kinds of otc meds just in case I may need them!

Still fine tuning our list as we navigate to being pro cruisers but i simply cannot cruise without

•  those dollartree battery operated tea lights
  • liquid handsoap
  • suction hooks for the shower
  • Multi-port usb plug
  • Cruise. Binder! (honestly such a life saver before, during and after the cruise!)

Some things I'm trying out and may get added:

• luggage tag holders
  • mini clock with light (why don't they want me to know what time it is?!! hahaha)
  • cup holder bags

I find it so funny that this post came back from the dead two years after I posed it, lol. 

Also, how much I've removed from my old "cruise kit" for my upcoming cruise. I basically only have my magnetic clips for hanging up papers and the USB outlet. Might grab the alarm clock too but that's about it. 

31 minutes ago, columbus_cruiser said:

In the era of Covid are we still able to bring our own coffee cups?

I would imagine this works similar to how it always has - you fill up a cup of coffee/water (or, have someone fill your cup of coffee/water) and you dump it in to your reusable cup. This has always been the rule for health code reasons. 

I always bring a zip-lock baggie containing antiseptic wipes. The first thing I do when I get to my cabin is wipe down everything! The wipes are Hydrogen Peroxide based because they kill most viruses, including the dreaded Norovirus. The usual alcohol-based antibacterial wipes don’t kill Noro.

2 minutes ago, BrianB said:

I always bring a zip-lock baggie containing antiseptic wipes. The first thing I do when I get to my cabin is wipe down everything! The wipes are Hydrogen Peroxide based because they kill most viruses, including the dreaded Norovirus. The usual alcohol-based antibacterial wipes don’t kill Noro.

Now that I think about it - this is definitely a new addition that I'm packing. 

I think I will add a two week supply of medical necessities to my kit. Above what I usually bring for the length of my cruise. Just in case I suddenly find myself quarantined somewhere mid-cruise. I don’t want to be forced to rely on the availability and quality of local supplies. Never know when local authorities demand I quarantine in place rather than send me home.