Has Formal Night Been Replaced with Wear Your Best

Rhason B.

Hello everyone,

I need help packing for my RC Navigator of the Seas cruise.

I've read on this site that formal night has been replaced with wear your best night on select RC ships.

I will be sailing January 2020 on a 4 night Bahamas cruise.  

I want to know if anyone has sailed on Navigator since the recent amplification of the ship, and encountered this change in dress code? 

Welcome to the blog, Rhason B.  Just wear whatever is comfortable for you.  Even though formal night isn’t called formal night anymore, doesn’t mean you can’t be formal if you want.

I can guarantee that you will find men in tuxes and women in long dresses.  Some people really love to dress up once in a while.   You will not be out of place no matter what you decide to do.

I guess we are in the minority, who enjoy dressing for formal night.  I wear a dark suit and the wife wears a gown or cocktail dress on formal nights, now on other nights I wear trousers and collared dress shirt or maybe a Hawaiian style shirt and the wife wears a dress or slacks.  After diner we enjoys the shows and bars so staying dressed is not a problem for us as we treat it as a date night.  Daytime is for shirts and t-shirts.

One part of me wishes the cruise lines would enforce the dress code in the MDR; the other part of me could care less what other people are wearing.  On our last cruise one of our table mates was upset that we dressed for formal night (I wore a suit and the other two gentlemen wore ties).  He wore a short sleeved collared shirt and said we made him look bad by dressing up for dinner.

14 hours ago, Fuzzywuzzy said:

A table across from us had a woman who was dressed to the nines and looked fantastic. Her guy was wearing dirty jeans and an AC/DC t-shirt. There are varied opinions on what "your best" is.

Maybe it was his "best" AC/DC shirt though, and he left his Ratt t-shirt at home.

We were just talking about how the overall dress level of cruiser over the last few years has really gone way down. When we 1st started cruising formal night was observed by the majority  and those that choose not too went to the windjammer. Now they wear anything, everywhere. Lounges where swim wear isn't allowed well they wear swim wear and it is not enforced. We preferred were people followed the rules and the rules were enforced... OH well...

I agree with this post. We just got off a cruise last week and on formal night, my wife had a nice long dress and I even wore a bow tie and dress coat, and I am not one for dressing up, but one night is nice, the person at table across from us,was,wearing a ball cap, which I basically live in a ball cap, but one night don't seem to much to ask to,dress for dinner, it's the same with flying, years ago,people dressed up to fly.

On 9/11/2019 at 2:07 PM, Rhason B. said:

Hello everyone,

I need help packing for my RC Navigator of the Seas cruise.

I've read on this site that formal night has been replaced with wear your best night on select RC ships.

I will be sailing January 2020 on a 4 night Bahamas cruise.  

I want to know if anyone has sailed on Navigator since the recent amplification of the ship, and encountered this change in dress code? 

On a longer cruise, 7-night Harmony, the first formal night was "wear your best" but the second formal night was still described as formal.  As I reported in another thread, I didn't see a lot of difference between the two nights, and guests generally wore nice clothes.  There were really very few tuxes.  I also noted that with white night scheduled for 11 PM, a number of guests seemed to be dressed for dinner in white.  So there is some variety on slightly longer cruises.

I’m on Symphony right now.  Tonight was our 2nd formal night.  We’ve had every dinner in the Coastal Kitchen which is only for suite guests.  Even in this dining room, on both formal nights, at least half the people at dinner in Coastal Kitchen were no better dressed than nice shorts, nice shirts, and FLIP FLOPS.

Hmmm,  I was out of the loop on the “Wear your Best” idea.  Sadly Serenadeof the seas hasn’t switched as far as I can see.  Missus being in a wheelchair for this trip is thinking NO FORMAL NIGHT, and at my best I wear an unironed dress shirt and tie.  I don’t like to break the rules, so we may end up spending formal nights in WJ.  I am fine in a collared shirt and slacks, but don’t feel the need to dress up like I would for a family members wedding!

1 hour ago, guittech said:

Hmmm,  I was out of the loop on the “Wear your Best” idea.  Sadly Serenadeof the seas hasn’t switched as far as I can see.  Missus being in a wheelchair for this trip is thinking NO FORMAL NIGHT, and at my best I wear an unironed dress shirt and tie.  I don’t like to break the rules, so we may end up spending formal nights in WJ.  I am fine in a collared shirt and slacks, but don’t feel the need to dress up like I would for a family members wedding!

Yes, you would be fine.  I no longer pack my tux....