Gift of booze ?

Amygs1

My husband is staying behind with our 3 kids while I go on a cruise with my Mom.  (I know, he’s the best!)  He likes whiskey and bourbon and some tequilas.  Any recommendations on a special one to buy to bring back?  Something not easily obtainable stateside?  Or something too expensive to buy on a regular basis?  I’ve never purchased liquor when on a trip, so need advice!  My Mom and I are on the Liberty of the Seas sailing Sept 22nd to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Falmouth

29 minutes ago, Amygs1 said:

My husband is staying behind with our 3 kids while I go on a cruise with my Mom.  (I know, he’s the best!)  He likes whiskey and bourbon and some tequilas.  Any recommendations on a special one to buy to bring back?  Something not easily obtainable stateside?  Or something too expensive to buy on a regular basis?  I’ve never purchased liquor when on a trip, so need advice!  My Mom and I are on the Liberty of the Seas sailing Sept 22nd to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Falmouth

Are you driving or flying to the port. If flying going through the TSA checkpoint at the airport with liquor in a carry on bag won't work, it will be confiscated. Putting it in your checked bag is a crap shoot as the bottle may or may not break. If you're driving to the port, no problem. That's how we do a cruise. We drive to the port, don't worry about the number of suitcases we have nor their weight. In Grand Cayman, check out thee BBD Rum, it comes it many different flavors and you'll get a kick out of the history behind the BBD Rum (google it ?). It's very good on the rocks and Grand Cayman is the ONLY island in the Caribbean you will find it. As far as bourbon goes, I will buy as many or all bottles of Buffalo Trace Bourbon. An excellent bourbon that is very moderately priced and available on board in the liquor shop. Very hard to find in the states. Can't help you with tequila, not my drink. In Falmouth, I would strongly you and Mom stay within the gated area and not venture out in the the town of Falmouth. Very seedy. You will have a blast shopping in all the jewelry stores, shops, etc. within the gated area. There is also a Margaritaville there also. Hope this helps and welcome to the message  boards. Feel free to ask away with any questions you or your Mom might have. And, of course, have a great cruise!! :27_sunglasses:

I also recommend the Blantons single cask bourbon. It comes in a beautiful bottle, tastes incredible and is not too expensive ($60-65??). It is almost impossible to find here in Houston but I did find it on my last RCL cruise. Even then, I was told the ship received exactly one case. So, if you're going to look for it on the ship, you should go as early as possible. You buy it (or them!) and the ship stores them until the end of your cruise.

P.S. You can also look at the port liquor stores. Our last time in Grand Cayman, we found an entire rack of different Blantons products. More than I thought they sold!

The ports you are visiting are known for rums and tequilas. As far as bringing it back, I've brought a bottle of liquor back in my checked bag each of the last three years with no breakage trouble. Each time I've packed it in the dead center of my bag cushioned by clothing. (Twice with soft side luggage and once with hard side luggage.)

If you happen to be getting away from the port in Cozumel, Arc Angel, in the middle of the island on Transversal de Cozumel, has some of the best tequilas I have ever had! I've never seen it in the US. (Many excursions that go to the other side of the island stop at this location for a shopping/bathroom break)