Took the $$ plunge on the Unlimited Beverage Package, so....What’s your favorite drink?

Amygs1

3 hours ago, Kerry said:

Are there specific drinks that have been listed you can only get at certain places? I have made an actually list of everything everyone has recommended, and I'm going to try every one of them... just want to make sure I can find them!

A lot of the bars will have a specialty drink menu with drinks that they make at that bar.  You may be able to get them at other bars as well, but I would peruse those menus at each bar to start knocking things off the list.  

I am on board now and definitely need that t-shirt!   Too many fun drinks to try!  So far my absolute favorite is a chocolate martini - yummy!!!  I’ve also tried Lava Flow, Whiskey Sour, Rum Punch, Gin Fizz, Mimosa, Bloody Mary (yuck!) and one of the Collins drinks (that was obviously not so memorable - for whatever reason ?). Found the standard Sauvignon Blanc to be serviceable for my wine with dinner. 

My personal number one rule - no beer. RC's beer is too crappy to justify a drink package...just give me the hard stuff ?

(The only time I ever got a beer on a drink package is when I sprained my thumb and needed something cold to put on it, like an ice pack. A Bud Light aluminum bottle was the perfect remedy. I drank it, too, but that was a distant secondary benefit of the "purchase" of said Bud Light) 

For a more real answer - Tropical Old Fashioned. "Muddled cherries and pineapple stirred together with orange bitters and Malibu coconut rum". 

On 9/27/2019 at 4:41 PM, MotleyCruiser said:

Dr. Pepper shot.

Drop a shot of Amaretto in to a 1/2 glass of beer and slug it down.  Amazingly incredible!!  Honestly, I was blown away...it tastes like DP!!!!

OMG, I remember drinking those in college! Only... we did the Flaming Dr. Pepper -- Amaretto in the shot glass with Bacardi 151 layered on top to make it flammable. Light it on fire, then drop into the beer and chug!

What are the odds the bar staff would make one of those on board? ? It's a definite "one and done"; hits like a mule and you don't need much more after that!

On 9/28/2019 at 3:51 PM, JLMoran said:

OMG, I remember drinking those in college! Only... we did the Flaming Dr. Pepper -- Amaretto in the shot glass with Bacardi 151 layered on top to make it flammable. Light it on fire, then drop into the beer and chug!

What are the odds the bar staff would make one of those on board? ? It's a definite "one and done"; hits like a mule and you don't need much more after that!

Yes! I had a few of those in the 80s! Flaming Dr. Peppers (except we dropped flaming Jagermeister into the mug), boiler makers, and red beers were the undergrad days in KS!

1 minute ago, MotleyCruiser said:

I've had them on MSC but it took some explaining.  "ok...ummm...I want one beer but two glasses...."

heh, I'm thinking more the flaming issue -- lighting things on fire intentionally on board a cruise ship in a less-than-contained area isn't exactly common. Plus, they'd probably be worried about the person then dropping the now-lit shotglass and missing the beer glass, spilling the burning alcohol all over the bar and other surfaces... no real liability / safety concerns there... ?

55 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

heh, I'm thinking more the flaming issue -- lighting things on fire intentionally on board a cruise ship in a less-than-contained area isn't exactly common. Plus, they'd probably be worried about the person then dropping the now-lit shotglass and missing the beer glass, spilling the burning alcohol all over the bar and other surfaces... no real liability / safety concerns there... ?

Never even crossed my mind...lol.

Be adventurous!  Having an unlimited drink package is a great opportunity to try something off the wall you're not sure you'll like.  Look at all the house specials in the various venues on the ship, they all have unique cocktails that fit their themes.

Prime example, I had always wanted to try a Negroni.  I finally did and learned that I definitely do not like Negronis. 

1 hour ago, Orange Crush said:

Be adventurous!  Having an unlimited drink package is a great opportunity to try something off the wall you're not sure you'll like.  Look at all the house specials in the various venues on the ship, they all have unique cocktails that fit their themes.

Prime example, I had always wanted to try a Negroni.  I finally did and learned that I definitely do not like Negronis. 

This is one big advantage to which I'm looking forward.

My cruise is now in the history books - favorite drinks in order were:  1. French 75 from Schooner Bar.  2.  Coconut Mojito.  3.  Lavender Daquiri     And there were MANY others sampled - rum punch, pina colada, margarita, Bloody Mary (yuck!), mimosa, scotch collins, Mai Tai, gin and tonic, plain martini.....

Just got off Enchantment yesterday. My favorites were the Mojitos (frozen and not frozen), the Grey Goose Cosmopolitan, and the ringer was the Michelada by the pool before noon! (think bloody mary, but with beer and SPICY) Perfect when you're all sugared out by the frozen drinks. I enjoyed sampling the specials in Boleros, but can't remember what they were called. 

13 hours ago, Amygs1 said:

My cruise is now in the history books - favorite drinks in order were:  1. French 75 from Schooner Bar.  2.  Coconut Mojito.  3.  Lavender Daquiri     And there were MANY others sampled - rum punch, pina colada, margarita, Bloody Mary (yuck!), mimosa, scotch collins, Mai Tai, gin and tonic, plain martini.....

Were most drinks available in every bar or specific ones? Like the lavender daiquiri?

1 hour ago, Marlena said:

Were most drinks available in every bar or specific ones? Like the lavender daiquiri?

I tried to order the lavender daiquiri at one of the shows and was told it was only made at the R bar.  Never had a problem getting anything else from everywhere else.  Had chocolate martinis in many locations.  Though I didn’t try getting my favorite French 75 anywhere other than the Schooner where it was on their menu.  

15 minutes ago, Kerry said:

How do the drinks at Sabor work? Can I get a Jalepeno-Cucumber or Sweet and Spicy margarita at a bar (they don't have one on Harmony like they do on Oasis, correct?) or are their specialty drinks only available if you're dining?

Harmony has the bar inside of the restaurant and you can order margaritas there without dining, including the specialty ones.

On 9/29/2019 at 7:49 PM, Baked Alaska said:

Yes! I had a few of those in the 80s! Flaming Dr. Peppers (except we dropped flaming Jagermeister into the mug), boiler makers, and red beers were the undergrad days in KS!

Oh my gosh - We'd have "Theme Nights" in college where the rules changed depending on the night... One night being "You can't drink it unless it's lit on fire." Pretty sure I should be dead.

3 hours ago, JLMoran said:

I can't decide if trying that would cause me to have a ? or a ? reaction. Not a fan of anything grapefruit, but the idea of combining that with super-spicy habanero... ?

It wasn't super-spicy, more of a subtle kick. Put that "try new drinks" benefit of the drink package to good use!  ?

On 10/11/2019 at 2:09 PM, CruisingCrewser said:

Not sure if we will purchase the DDP yet, but I am certain I will enjoy a few bourbons or scothces while on board. Does anyone know if the carry any top self  whiskies?

I can't speak to bourbons, but for scotch they're selection has become much better over the past couple of years - mostly in the pub, but if you ask the right person very nicely, they'll move bottles around.

We mostly drink Islays and were delighted they started carrying Ardbeg 10 and often Talisker 10.  They've got some Highland and Speyside offerings as well.  Here are a couple of the more recent (post addition of other scotches) pub menus from some ships in the fleet, which will also show you the bourbons.  
https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/menus/king-country-pub-menu-brilliance-of-the-seas
https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/menus/two-poets-pub-menu-navigator-of-the-seas