Chichen Itza replaced by San Gervasio

Amygs1

I cancelled our excursion to Chichen Itza from our stop in Cozumel.  It is a bucket list destination for me, but after reading lots of reviews and looking more closely at the travel time via ferry/bus, I KNOW I will be disappointed with how little time we have at the site.  So, I booked the excursion to San Gervasio and chocolate tour instead.  Has anyone done this one?  

I’ve always wanted to go to Chichen Itza as well and have never done the excursion when in Cozumel for the same reasons as you.  Is your cruise also going to Costa Maya?  We’re on Symphony this coming Saturday and will be going there.  They have a 4 hour excursion to Chacchoben Mayan Ruins which are supposed to be similar.  1 hour drive each way and 2 hours at the site.  We’ve booked this one for our day there.  I’ve been told that this is a good compromise without the long trek required for Chichen Itza.

2534CF0A-2F39-4465-925D-D65A88035E75.png

Never been to  Chichen Itza but we did do the San Gervasio and chocolate tour.  The ruins are not towering temples, but I still found them interesting and the chocolate tour was educational too.  Our tour guide was Jesus and he was very good (funny, entertaining and informative).  We also chose this one because of the long travel time.  We have done two other ruins in Costa Maya, they were more intact and larger than San Gervasio.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh no, I did not see this before and don't know if you have already cruised. We did Chichen Itza, definite buckle list and well worth it. Yes its long drive (on a horrible bus)and not a lot of time at site. Our tour guide  was very knowledgable but preferred to let everyone sleep on the long ride out there. Once there he began to talk and talk and talk, fortunate I had read a lot about it before hand so we broke lose of the tour and explored on our own

I was in the US Navy for 23 years and we travel abroad every year but Chichen Itza tops the list for me

27 minutes ago, markm said:

Oh no, I did not see this before and don't know if you have already cruised. We did Chichen Itza, definite buckle list and well worth it. Yes its long drive (on a horrible bus)and not a lot of time at site. Our tour guide  was very knowledgable but preferred to let everyone sleep on the long ride out there. Once there he began to talk and talk and talk, fortunate I had read a lot about it before hand so we broke lose of the tour and explored on our own

I was in the US Navy for 23 years and we travel abroad every year but Chichen Itza tops the list for me

San Gervasio was not spectacular in the largest sense, but it was exactly what my Mom and I could enjoy.  She was severely seasick our first day out and Cozumel was our first stop, so the smaller excursion was plenty.  Plus, getting away from the tour group and finding a small corner to imagine the past was easily done - quiet and beautiful.  I still have Chichen Itza on the bucket list - will just have to take another vacation ?

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/8/2019 at 1:46 PM, Amygs1 said:

I cancelled our excursion to Chichen Itza from our stop in Cozumel.  It is a bucket list destination for me, but after reading lots of reviews and looking more closely at the travel time via ferry/bus, I KNOW I will be disappointed with how little time we have at the site.  So, I booked the excursion to San Gervasio and chocolate tour instead.  Has anyone done this one?  

How long did the tour last and what time of day did the tour take place? I am pretty sure I will be booking this for myself, my 82 yr old MIL and my 11 yr old son. I am hoping we will still have time for my son and I to visit Discover Mexico or a maybe a beach near the port after the tour. 

3 hours ago, Firefly said:

How long did the tour last and what time of day did the tour take place? I am pretty sure I will be booking this for myself, my 82 yr old MIL and my 11 yr old son. I am hoping we will still have time for my son and I to visit Discover Mexico or a maybe a beach near the port after the tour. 

Our tour met up at 8:45am and we were back at about 2pm (and super hungry!)  We wandered around the port shops for another 1/2 hr and then went to pig out at the Windjammer.  You could pack in one more short activity depending on all aboard time - it was 4:30pm for us.  

Personally, the thing I learned about excursions on this cruise was to pick a single destination excursion and be done.  The travel time within the excursion for more than one stop was too much for me and I think I would’ve relaxed more if we were focused on a single destination.  

4 hours ago, Amygs1 said:

Our tour met up at 8:45am and we were back at about 2pm (and super hungry!)  We wandered around the port shops for another 1/2 hr and then went to pig out at the Windjammer.  You could pack in one more short activity depending on all aboard time - it was 4:30pm for us.  

Personally, the thing I learned about excursions on this cruise was to pick a single destination excursion and be done.  The travel time within the excursion for more than one stop was too much for me and I think I would’ve relaxed more if we were focused on a single destination.  

Wow, that sounds a lot longer than the 3 1/2 hours they list on the cruise planner. I don’t mind the early start, but my MIL cannot go that late for lunch. Might have to go without her since my son and I definitely want to do the ruins for homeschooling purposes. The beach isn’t a big deal this trip, so no big deal if there isn’t time for that. Guess we will play it by ear. Thanks for your feedback. 

On 10/24/2019 at 3:51 PM, Firefly said:

Wow, that sounds a lot longer than the 3 1/2 hours they list on the cruise planner. I don’t mind the early start, but my MIL cannot go that late for lunch. Might have to go without her since my son and I definitely want to do the ruins for homeschooling purposes. The beach isn’t a big deal this trip, so no big deal if there isn’t time for that. Guess we will play it by ear. Thanks for your feedback. 

There was food available at San Gervasio to purchase.