Sad Experience at iFly on Ovation

PG Cruiser

I had a 1:20PM reservation for the iFly on the Ovation last week.  When I checked "My Calendar" on the stateroom TV, the entry simply said "iFly 1:20PM-2:20PM".  That led me to believe that I can go at any time within that time frame for my turn on the iFly. There was no mention of me having to be there 15 minutes before my appointment.  The lady who booked my reservation on Day 1 said nothing about it.  So I arrived at the sign in desk at 1:30PM (10 minutes late).  The guy at the desk ask for my reserved time. When I said "1:20PM", he began to show some attitude and told me that  I was late, that I should have been there 15 minutes ahead of the time.  I said that I did not get any such instructions.   I asked, "Have I lost my reservation?", he said I have.  Then I asked, "Can I get another reservation?"   Without checking or even looking at the screen, he coldly replied, "No you can't, we're booked till the end of the cruise."  

When I tried to make a reservation on the Royal IQ app for that same day, I saw three time slots available.  I was able to book the 3:00PM time slot.  I went back as soon as I can to make sure my app reservation went through. Another guy was there and assured me I got the reservation.

I wanted so much to complain about this to the Sports Manager on board but I just let it go.  But I feel like that guy has no place in a job that has direct interaction with guests on a cruise ship. It was not even a busy day for them, I was the only one there.  He needs to learn something from the Disney playbook where even the most ridiculous requests from guests get the reply, "Let me see what we can do about that or let me see how we can make your day more magical."

I'm so glad I did not let this incident make me give up on going on the iFly.  It turned out to be one of the highlights of the cruise for me.

iFly employees are not Royal crew, they work for iFly.  

iFly has venues all across the country.  A select handful of iFly employees work on the ships.  

iflyworld.com

I would write them and note your experience.  They won't likely do or offer anything but at least you'll help other guests from facing the same experience.

I am so sorry, it happened to you. My experience with IFly was totally opposite on Anthem. We booked ifly the day before last and we got the bad weather so it was cancel. We thought we would not get the chance to go. My husband went to the Ifly and asked for the new schedule. We was very lucky to see the guy that operate the North Star who is really friendly. He asked us to come at the last ride on the last day and we got to go on I-fly. He is one of instructors. When we went to the ifly, he was there to make sure we got on it even thought he was not our instructor. So for me was really positive experience. 

23 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@RatedPG was his name Joe by any chance?  I had a really unpleasant experience with an iFly instructor on Anthem back in March 2018.  I did make it known to the Sports Manager and also on my post cruise survey but nothing much came of it.

I did not get his name because he was not wearing a name tag.  While I was walking away and "counting 1-10", I wanted so much to get his name, but after a few deep breaths, I just let it go.

12 minutes ago, Susie said:

I am so sorry, it happened to you. My experience with IFly was totally opposite on Anthem. We booked ifly the day before last and we got the bad weather so it was cancel. We thought we would not get the chance to go. My husband went to the Ifly and asked for the new schedule. We was very lucky to see the guy that operate the North Star who is really friendly. He asked us to come at the last ride on the last day and we got to go on I-fly. He is one of instructors. When we went to the ifly, he was there to make sure we got on it even thought he was not our instructor. So for me was really positive experience. 

The second guy at the desk was very nice and so was our instructor named "Flo".  Both these guys made up for the first guy's lack of social skills.

Piggybacking on this thread - I'm skating all around the ship's IFly weight limit... Are they pretty firm or will they let, say 4 pounds or so over get on?  I've booked it on the morning of day 2, so if I have to avoid the windjammer/alcohol on day 1 and take some water pills, by gosh I will get on this darn thing ?

7 minutes ago, firebuck said:

Piggybacking on this thread - I'm skating all around the ship's IFly weight limit... Are they pretty firm or will they let, say 4 pounds or so over get on?  I've booked it on the morning of day 2, so if I have to avoid the windjammer/alcohol on day 1 and take some water pills, by gosh I will get on this darn thing ?

There were weight limits posted according to two height ranges (below 6’ and 6’ & above).  I think they are 230lbs and 250lbs respectively.  They weighed us before letting us in the briefing room.

They need one more range for those of us 6'5" and above lol.  It's all good, as long as the weigh-in is before the briefing, it'll save me some time.  Fingers crossed that their scales are off in my favor ?

The land-based locations are a bit more forgiving.  If it doesn't work out on the ship, I'll hit one up afterwards.

5 minutes ago, firebuck said:

They need one more range for those of us 6'5" and above lol.  It's all good, as long as the weigh-in is before the briefing, it'll save me some time.  Fingers crossed that their scales are off in my favor ?

The land-based locations are a bit more forgiving.  If it doesn't work out on the ship, I'll hit one up afterwards.

Hoping it will be a nice crew member doing the weigh in, not the guy with the attitude. ? 

On 9/7/2019 at 10:00 PM, twangster said:

iFly employees are not Royal crew, they work for iFly.  

iFly has venues all across the country.  A select handful of iFly employees work on the ships.  

iflyworld.com

I would write them and note your experience.  They won't likely do or offer anything but at least you'll help other guests from facing the same experience.

Our instructor was the same guy who operated the North Star when we use it, I believe I saw him on the flowrider also ?

11 hours ago, firebuck said:

They need one more range for those of us 6'5" and above lol. 

My brother is almost 6'7" and went to one of the land iFly locations. I saw video of his experience; I was frankly amazed that the tube was sized wide enough for him to be able to lay flat in the "hover" position, although his legs were bent somewhat.

12 minutes ago, TravisMA81 said:

Maybe try to show up at the time you are scheduled to.

I admit that was my fault.  I should have come on time.  But my gripe was about being told that I could not make another reservation, that they were booked till the end of the cruise, when they were not.  I did not act like he owed me a new reservation.  I even said, “Can I plead with you? Can I grovel?”

On 9/7/2019 at 10:34 PM, RatedPG said:

I did not get his name because he was not wearing a name tag.  While I was walking away and "counting 1-10", I wanted so much to get his name, but after a few deep breaths, I just let it go.

You are much kinder and patient than I would have been.  By letting this go, you've opened the door for continued rudeness. He should have been called to task immediately.