Oasis Class Ship to Australia?

Welcome to the message boards!

I know a lot of people who would be very excited to see that come to fruition and it may one day.  There is a lot of work that needs to get done before it can though.

Currently Brisbane is the only port capable of taking such a large ship.  Once several more ports of call expand to accept mega ships it could be become a reality.

Five, ten or fifteen years from now will be very different from today.  Hopefully in that period some more ports decide to grow to accommodate bigger ships because Royal isn't the only cruise line with plans for larger and larger ships.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like Sydney will be able to grow to accommodate mega ships which is a huge blow to the effort to bring Oasis to Australia.

RCCL’s Associate Vice President of Marine & Safety, Captain Nik Antalis recently addressed the Australian Cruise Association conference and he was clearly trying to motivate the Australian cruise industry to start thinking about it.  Otherwise in a decade or two no mega ship will be able to call on Australia.  

Also, am I correct that Oasis Class do not tender? So this would also have to be taken into consideration.

For cruises to the South Pacific there would be very few ports that could handle it - if any currently.

For New Zealand I imagine Napier, Tauranga, Wellington & Lyttleton (once new pier is complete) should be able to accommodate but at this stage Ovation has to tender in the Harbour when visiting Auckland, which would therefore not even be possible with an Oasis Class ship. 

I’d say more likely an Oasis Class ship would get to Asia before Australia. 

2 hours ago, Shanenz84 said:

Also, am I correct that Oasis Class do not tender? 

That is correct! It is simply too difficult to arrange the disembarkation of over 6000 people on tender boats. And additionally, as a Napier local, I'd say it is very unlikely that our port is capable of an Oasis class ship. To date, Ovation has been the biggest to dock and it was basically the maximum. In saying this, Napier Port has just invested in a large scheme to expand so as @twangster  said, give it a few years and anything is possible!

Here's hoping that Icon Class ships can find their way to this corner of the world!

3 hours ago, brycemo said:

Place your bets! Is it an Oasis #5 or an Icon class?

The largest ship to dock in the Sydney Cruise Port to date has been the Queen Mary II, which has rocketed the port into expansion, so Oasis Class is not completely out of the question!

Or Edge class. RCCL covers all brands, not just RCI. 

14 hours ago, brycemo said:

Place your bets! Is it an Oasis #5 or an Icon class?

Definitely not Oasis #5 and Icon is not due until 2022 so I can't see it being that either.

10 hours ago, twangster said:

Or Edge class. RCCL covers all brands, not just RCI. 

Celebrity are usually listed as 'Celebrity Cruises Inc' on this schedule. Unless it's a decoy.

2 hours ago, mattymay said:

Celebrity are usually listed as 'Celebrity Cruises Inc' on this schedule. Unless it's a decoy.

Unlikely it's a decoy... It could maybe even be Odyssey of the Seas, but was entered before the naming? Seems unlikely but there doesn't seem to be an obvious option for this mystery ship.

8 minutes ago, bretts173 said:

Seriously it's the Australian market which royal treat as 2nd rate. Just look at the supposed Amp of Voyager. Latest update they are removing Johnn Rockets and replacing it with nothing. Less food options but an extra 70 cabins. When you click on that link on the website it brings up Quantam.

My thoughts exactly. I was so sad to hear that Johnny Rockets was being removed. Burgers and shakes are my guilty pleasure and I was so looking forward to indulging. 

If this 'unnamed ship' is in fact Quantum, this would mean a replacement would have to be sought in Asia as it's currently sailing there year-round. Hence my thoughts of the possibility of an Oasis Class heading to Asia at the end of 2021 freeing Quantum to come down to Australia. The only other thought here I would imagine OA 5 will just free up an Oasis Class to go to Galveston, TX though. 

2 hours ago, brycemo said:

Simply an excuse to book another cruise on another ship!

Unfortunately Voyager was the only ship cruising from Aus that had Johnny Rockets.

I'll certainly be considering booking another cruise though, just as soon as I've actually gone on my first cruise.....(104 days away now)

10 hours ago, bretts173 said:

Seriously it's the Australian market which royal treat as 2nd rate. Just look at the supposed Amp of Voyager. Latest update they are removing Johnn Rockets and replacing it with nothing. Less food options but an extra 70 cabins. When you click on that link on the website it brings up Quantam.

Ovation was the newest Quantum class ship until Spectrum came along but Spectrum was purpose built specifically for Asia.  So to say Australia is treated 2nd rate isn't fair.  Australia has had the newest non-Asian ship that can fit into Sydney for some time now.

If Australia had expanded it's ports 10 years ago Oasis class would probably already be there.  Oasis deployed in 2009 so Australia has had 10 years to work on this.  It's too bad Australia treats Royal 2nd rate.  

On 9/9/2019 at 3:26 AM, mattymay said:

They need to being new class of ship sooner or later, because let's face it, once you've done a South Pacific and New Zealand cruise you're pretty much done in this part of the world. It then becomes more about the ship and new/different experiences it can offer.

Convince your leaders to expand your ports.  Royal is trying to, that's why they spoke at the convention but they alone can't motivate your ports to expand.

9 hours ago, Shanenz84 said:

If this 'unnamed ship' is in fact Quantum, this would mean a replacement would have to be sought in Asia as it's currently sailing there year-round. Hence my thoughts of the possibility of an Oasis Class heading to Asia at the end of 2021 freeing Quantum to come down to Australia. The only other thought here I would imagine OA 5 will just free up an Oasis Class to go to Galveston, TX though. 

Royal has had Spectrum in the booking system long enough to know if the region can support two Q ships in Asia at the same time.  It's possible with Spectrum now in China that they are looking to adjust capacity and have Quantum spend some of it's time elsewhere.   

Royal has been very successful in China but I'm not sure if that success would support Spectrum and OA5 at the same time.  That's a pretty significant bump in capacity, demand would have to be very strong, like Spectrum is consistently sold out months in advance kind of demand.

If OA5 goes to Galveston that could free up a Freedom class ship to find a new home somewhere.  Freedom class would fit into Australia now and be something new.  

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

Convince your leaders to expand your ports.  Royal is trying to, that why they spoke at the convention but they alone can't motivate your ports to expand.

Look I'm sure the current situation is fine for 90% of the population out there. It's that 10% who really love cruising that would like to see more variety in ships and itineraries. So the minority convincing leaders to expand ports seems unlikely.

We've traveled to Miami before and are happy to keep doing so to have these experiences but it would be nice to spend that $6000 in air fares on more cruising!! ?

In fact,  I did something stupid the other week!

After one too many scotches and in that mood where you just wanna book a cruise, I went and booked Carnival Mardi Gras! ? Realizing what I had done the next day, I've now had to book a trip to Coco Cay each side of that cruise so I don't feel so dirty!!

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Ovation was the newest Quantum class ship until Spectrum came along but Spectrum was purpose built specifically for Asia.  So to say Australia is treated 2nd rate isn't fair.  Australia has had the newest non-Asian ship that can fit into Sydney for some time now.

If Australia had expanded it's ports 10 years ago Oasis class would probably already be there.  Oasis deployed in 2009 so Australia has had 10 years to work on this.  It's too bad Australia treats Royal 2nd rate.  

The amplification of all ships compared to Voyager shows what it is important. Voyager recieved the adition of the waterslides as the only real positive. To add 70+ cabins and actually take away dining options is terrible.  Both Mariner and navigator get playmakers and the Bamboo room. Mariner has Boleros, Nav Hooked.  Mariner Johhny Rockets and Doghouse. Navigator Johnny rockets and El Loco Fresh. Voyager has none of these.

Can you see them swapping either of the other 2 ships with Voyager. I dont think so. 

13 minutes ago, bretts173 said:

The amplification of all ships compared to Voyager shows what it is important. Voyager recieved the adition of the waterslides as the only real positive. To add 70+ cabins and actually take away dining options is terrible.  Both Mariner and navigator get playmakers and the Bamboo room. Mariner has Boleros, Nav Hooked.  Mariner Johhny Rockets and Doghouse. Navigator Johnny rockets and El Loco Fresh. Voyager has none of these.

Can you see them swapping either of the other 2 ships with Voyager. I dont think so. 

Royal has to consider many things when it looks at AMPs and refreshments.  Voyager's market beyond Australia is a factor in that, it has to appeal to vastly different cultures more so than ships in the West.  

10 hours ago, mattymay said:

They need to being new class of ship sooner or later, because let's face it, once you've done a South Pacific and New Zealand cruise you're pretty much done in this part of the world. It then becomes more about the ship and new/different experiences it can offer.

Have you done a Tasmania or a Queensland cruise? 

8 hours ago, twangster said:

Royal has had Spectrum in the booking system long enough to know if the region can support two Q ships in Asia at the same time.  It's possible with Spectrum now in China that they are looking to adjust capacity and have Quantum spend some of it's time elsewhere.   

Royal has been very successful in China but I'm not sure if that success would support Spectrum and OA5 at the same time.  That's a pretty significant bump in capacity, demand would have to be very strong, like Spectrum is consistently sold out months in advance kind of demand.

If OA5 goes to Galveston that could free up a Freedom class ship to find a new home somewhere.  Freedom class would fit into Australia now and be something new.  

That’s very true, a Freedom Class ship would be a good fit and something new for the Australia market. 

Another factor is that it isn't easy getting Oasis class into the Pacific.  Like Spectrum it would be a Suez canal transit, even if coming from Florida.  While Quantum class can fit in the new Panama canal locks, Oasis class cannot.  

The reason this is a factor is because the transit time to move an Oasis ship to Australia is measured in weeks.  Oasis makes over a $1M per day in revenue when it's in Florida.  It would be hard to fill an Oasis class ship for the full transit to Australia. 

They'd lose tens of millions moving one to Australia partially full.

2 hours ago, Shanenz84 said:

Have you done a Tasmania or a Queensland cruise? 

I have done nearly every cruise out most all Australian ports on 18 different ships. I do not like long hall flights to a cruise (Singapore from east coast max''s it out for me) and YES the SHIP is the destination of choice for me. Newest to arrive in OZ I will sail on.

There is another interesting point to note... 

No ship ever stays in Australia past mid April.. this 'unnamed vessel' is staying longer. The image below is the end of the published schedule so it could well be staying past June 2022.

yHGwlhJ.png

Staying into the winter means a 'cold weather' ship would be ideal, especially in Sydney... i.e. Quantum.

So.. Oasis #5 will go to Asia or push another ship to Asia, leaving Quantum with no home, therefore RCI will need to park her in Sydney. They will also use it to service this supposed Perfect Day off the coast of Australia year round. How's that for a plan?

47 minutes ago, twangster said:

Just how cold is the region in the winter?  

Don't some other lines leave ships there all year?

P&O Cruises Australia is the really only line based there year-round which currently has 3 ships (will be 4 in 2020). Winter in Australia & NZ depends on where you are really, it's still tropical north of Brisbane in Winter and in the South Pacific.

7 hours ago, twangster said:

It would be hard to fill an Oasis class ship for the full transit to Australia. 

You would be surprised. I was looking at the Celebrity (au) website and they have a transpacific cruise in April 2021 that is just about sold out. (suites only left).  Admittedly it _only_ holds 2900+ pax.

Side note though.... if they were going to have a ship out here year round, wouldnt it spend the winter months out of the new (yet to be completed) Brisbane terminal?  It can supposedly support mega ships (ie: Oasis class).   The only thing is.... where would it go if they dont do tenders?

https://www.portbris.com.au/cruise/

1 hour ago, Phillo said:

You would be surprised. I was looking at the Celebrity (au) website and they have a transpacific cruise in April 2021 that is just about sold out. (suites only left).  Admittedly it _only_ holds 2900+ pax.

Side note though.... if they were going to have a ship out here year round, wouldnt it spend the winter months out of the new (yet to be completed) Brisbane terminal?  It can supposedly support mega ships (ie: Oasis class).   The only thing is.... where would it go if they dont do tenders?

https://www.portbris.com.au/cruise/

Transpacific is interesting, especially with the South Pacific in the itinerary.  This route?  Not so much.  

The 12 night Allure transatlantic in March cost me $1,200 in an ocean facing balcony.  $100 per night solo.  I could have been under $1k USD for an interior.  These cruises are hard to fill.

From Barcelona to Sydney is 10,097 nm.  Brisbane just a little further.

1662099418_BCNtoSYD.jpeg.7e5a310598fd3a14dae88ffeaea39837.jpeg

Going straight through with no stops would be ~35 days to reach Australia from Barcelona.  That would be a hard sell.  Very few people can sail that long.  

They'd likely break that up into 2 or 3 cruises with a few more stops because who wants 35 sea days?  That would extend the total journey to 45+ days.

The same ship in Florida would generate nearly $50M in revenue in 45 days.  Half full on this awkward route let's be generous and say it generates $750k per day.  They'd walk away from $17M to get the ship to Australia.  Come winter they'd lose another $17M to get it back into the Atlantic.   A more pessimistic projection would be ~$450k per day.  Round trip loss would be ~$60M compared to placing the ship in Florida.

5 hours ago, twangster said:

Just how cold is the region in the winter?  

Don't some other lines leave ships there all year?

Still topical in the North,  the further above Brisbane you get the warmer the temperature.. very similar climate to Florida. Sydney is a lot colder.. average day time temp 17 C / 63 F

oz-only-climate-e1468207697774.png

I meant to say no RCI ship stays here past April. Historically.. P & O Australia are the only ones. But as the name suggests they are an Australian based arm of the cruise line and their ships stay here. Starting next year Carnival are bringing Splendour and leaving it here all year round. 

25 minutes ago, twangster said:

Transpacific is interesting, especially with the South Pacific in the itinerary.  This route?  Not so much.  

I agree with you there.

They actually did (almost) the reverse of that earlier this year.  I would have done it if I didnt have to actually work for a living! ?

and yes... you are right. 45days over 3 itineraries.   SYD>SING>DUBAI>BARCA