ID/ age check with alcohol

TheRoyalOs

When a bartender swipes a card the screen indicates if alcohol is allowed.  I imagine it might even prevent a bartender from attempting to charge an alcoholic drink to the account.  

Last year I cruised with a 20 year old.  The card also indicates non-adult status, I think it said teen or something but it was clear and stood out that she wasn't 21.  

I bought the DX on board for that cruise.  Initially they said both have to buy it so I pointed she was 20.  They had a print out they looked over and confirmed only me in the cabin was 21 or older so I was able to buy it just for me.  Last cruise that will happen. 

Now that she is 21 at home it's getting expensive having another person at dinner ordering a drink :).  I miss the old days...

8 hours ago, twangster said:

When a bartender swipes a card the screen indicates if alcohol is allowed.  I imagine it might even prevent a bartender from attempting to charge an alcoholic drink to the account.  

Last year I cruised with a 20 year old.  The card also indicates non-adult status, I think it said teen or something but it was clear and stood out that she wasn't 21.  

I bought the DX on board for that cruise.  Initially they said both have to buy it so I pointed she was 20.  They had a print out they looked over and confirmed only me in the cabin was 21 or older so I was able to buy it just for me.  Last cruise that will happen. 

Now that she is 21 at home it's getting expensive having another person at dinner ordering a drink :).  I miss the old days...

I hear ya!  Now every time we go out to eat, our just turned 22 year old spend more time looking at the drink menu than the food part.  We have another one that's 20, so it'll be four drinks soon! 

It's even harder for European kids. In Belgium you can buy a beer at a bar at 16.

This year was hard for my niece going to the states and not being allowed to drink.

If you go on a European cruise from UK it's 18. I think that's Europe wide and Belgium is just the exception.

As an aside I'm 46 and ordered a beer at TGI's in Atlanta Airport and was carded. Made my day I can tell ya. ? 

19 minutes ago, Morganno said:

It's even harder for European kids. In Belgium you can buy a beer at a bar at 16.

This year was hard for my niece going to the states and not being allowed to drink.

If you go on a European cruise from UK it's 18. I think that's Europe wide and Belgium is just the exception.

As an aside I'm 46 and ordered a beer at TGI's in Atlanta Airport and was carded. Made my day I can tell ya. ? 

Here in Portugal, it's beer and wine at 16, and everything else at 18. My youngest nephew was in the States for a wedding recently, just two weeks before his 21st. However, he was apparently able to drink because of the different date layout, which meant people thought he had turned 21 in January!