Drinks Packages - Embarcation Day

KathW

14 hours ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

The very first thing I do once on-board is head straight for the Windjammer. The second thing I do (before finding a table) is find the man with the beer cart. Nothing says brunch like an ice cold corona! 

I'm sorry, Corona is not beer, it's flavored water.

I admit that I'm a beer snob.  I like my beers strong and full of flavor.  On the topic, the one let down with RCL is their beer selection, fairly generic.  But they have to please a larger crowd, so I go with the flow and find the best that I can, usually end up with Blue Moon.  At least the Pub has some things to pick from.

Given that my upcoming sail is out of Boston, it would be great if they could stock up on some New England based beers like Sam Adams and Harpoon.  I've been on one sailing that had Sam Lager.  Halfway through the week, I was told that I had made quite a dent in their stock.  I'm not sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing.

1 hour ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

Not that I recall. He's just a plastic cart loaded with ice and drinks, a rolling cooler of sorts in the Windjammer LOL. The real bars will have limes of course.

I'm sure if you asked a crew member in WJ, they could find one pretty easily for you.

7 minutes ago, FManke said:

I'm sure if you asked a crew member in WJ, they could find one pretty easily for you.

Probably but I'm only having one or two then off to pool deck for rum drinks. They honestly might have limes at the cart, I'm a take it or leave it guy with the lime. I'm also not a big Corona drinker but enjoy them in the sun once in a while :).

Oh, and last cruise on Anthem last September, they were cans lol.

1 hour ago, PatsFanBrian said:

I'm sorry, Corona is not beer, it's flavored water.

Corona isn't my go-to beer but do enjoy a few in the sun. When not watching calories or carbs I'm more of a Guinness Draught person. I also enjoy Smithwicks, and other beers in the Guinness line up. I of course enjoy a variety of other beers but not going to list them all lol.

I'm not a beer snob but do get snobby with how people incorrectly pour a Draught. I'm too polite and don't call them out, but if it results in a big head I'll not order another. Last few bars I've seen the same thing ... Put class under tap pull handle - eek - once it settles - pull handle again -eek - ... One I saw doing an angle, not perfectly but at least it was an angle. After it settled, she pulled the handle forward instead of pushing it back - ugh! 

1 hour ago, PatsFanBrian said:

At least the Pub has some things to pick from.

On Explorer a bunch of the bars didn't have Guinness Draught and I was going from the Viking Crown to Pub to get one. After my second time doing this round trip I spoke to the bartender. They stocked a few cans in the Viking Crown for me. So, point, doesn't hurt to ask!

8 minutes ago, FManke said:

No beer should ever come in a can, except maybe a Foster's oil can.

Cans have made a big comeback, many beer nuts think the beer stays fresher longer.  I always go to the draft first, but those options are limited on the ship.

But beer should be poured.  I'll never drink directly from a can or bottle.

1 minute ago, PatsFanBrian said:

Cans have made a big comeback, many beer nuts think the beer stays fresher longer.  I always go to the draft first, but those options are limited on the ship.

But beer should be poured.  I'll never drink directly from a can or bottle.

What about wine from a can? That's also the next big thing.

On 9/9/2019 at 9:49 AM, AshleyDillo said:

If you sail a ship with Playmakers, that's also a good place to check for some better beers.  Mariner's Playmaker had Sam Adams on draft and even an IPA..I was pleasantly surprised.

No Playmakers on Serenade.  But perhaps there's a chance that I'll get some Sam or Harpoon since both breweries are within a stone's throw of the pier.  A person can hope....