RCC excursions vs 3rd party excursions for Mediterranean Cruise

MicDay

Mediterranean Cruise May 10, 2020 on Allure

Me (48), Hubby(49), DD (21), DD's Boyfriend (21)

Me, Hubby and DD have been to England, land trip in 2016

Researching excursions and I'm torn on wether to book thru RCC or 3rd party

We are season travelers in the States but very new to Europe but can read a map/sign 

We have experience using trains/buses/metro but no way experts 

Researching how far the cities we want to explore from the port makes me hesitate on 3rd party

I like the options 3rd party gives vs RCC cattle drive

What do you think?

It would depend on the port for me. As you say, some of the ports can be far from the cities. It pays to do your research as most places will have public transport options. My last cruise in Scandinavia I noticed a lot of people just paying for the cruise shuttle or excursions into the cities- even when the local buses/trams were across the street and only cost a fraction of the RCL price! 

What is your itinerary? 

2 hours ago, MicDay said:
LEAVING FROM:Barcelona, Spain onboard Allure of the Seas
VISITING:| Palma de Mallorca | Provence (Marseilles) | Florence/Pisa (La Spezia) | Rome (Civitavecchia) | Naples (Capri) |

In Italy I would take excursions through Royal.  I can't comment on Spain or France.  The tour groups we were in weren't that large, and there can be traffic issues that delay your return.  Thus, the peace of mind associated with a Royal excursion might be worth it.  That said, in many countries trains are easy to use -- did that in Germany for business trips.  I do believe that in Italy the tours in Cruise Planner cover a lot of options.  Whatever you choose, have a great cruise.

We did an med cruise this summer on the vision.  We did all our excursions through the company “Tours by Locals.” With our kids ages 15,13, and 8 yr old twins we didn’t think they would get anything out of the large bus tour groups and being herded through cities.  Our tours were all private for  often cheaper than RCI and we could customize them for what we wanted 

16 hours ago, MicDay said:
LEAVING FROM:Barcelona, Spain onboard Allure of the Seas
VISITING:| Palma de Mallorca | Provence (Marseilles) | Florence/Pisa (La Spezia) | Rome (Civitavecchia) | Naples (Capri) |

We sailed to Rome and Florence last year and specifically used the cruise excursions in those ports since the sights were far.   We were happy we did as the trip in Rome barely got back to the ship in time.  Experience was awesome and worth the extra in both cases.

D

I will be following with interest as our family is planning to sail this same itinerary in 2020. I'm leaning towards booking RCI excursions as I tend to feel anxious about getting back to the ship on time, and I know that with at least some of the ports, the travel time to sights is more significant.

The first time we cruised to Florence and Rome we did the ships excursion called ‘Rome on your own’ and the same to Florence. Basically you are taken into the city and then you wander on your own and meet back at a prearranged time. This is cheaper than a guided tour and you have the security of knowing the ship will wait for any delays. Since then we have caught the train independently and just allowed plenty of time to return. On one cruise the ‘Rome on your own’ passengers were on our  train so we knew we were safe. Same with the ferry to Capri. If you catch the same ferry as the tour group, make sure you take the next to last one back as the tours usually catch the last ferry.

• 2 months later...

We did a Med cruise on Freedom of the Seas two summers ago.   Booked all of our own tours.  

In Marseille, we took a cab to Cassis and wandered on our own at the beach and shops.

In Nice, we walked from the cruise port to the bus stop, and rode to the beach and shopping, lunch.

In Rome, we shared a private group tour with another family and did a Vatican/Colosseum tour.

At the La Spezia stop, we did a combo Florence/Pisa private tour with the same company.

I'm sure I have the info for the company we used for the Rome and Florence days if you need it.

In Naples, we were going to take the train but the workers were on strike.  Caught a cab to Pompeii in the morning and did a Vespa tour of Naples in the afternoon.

No issues with getting back to the ship.