Transfer of Reservation to Travel Agent Denied

SteveinSC

Just so everyone is aware:  

I attempted to transfer my reservation to MEI Travel, after hearing all the praise and kudos from basically everyone on the podcast and boards. I learned that if youve already paid for your cruise in full, you cannot transfer. You can only transfer as long as there is a balance remaining. Kelley H. was STILL awesome to work with, and communicate with, in the short time we did. I will definitely use one, and probably MEI, in the future. 

Just now, FManke said:

I know that the general rule was that you cannot transfer after 60 days of making your reservation, but MEI Travel managed to get mine transferred. Just took a little more work on their end, but I don't know about once it's been paid.

I was well within 60 days. I dont think its OVER yet....as once it came back denied, Kelley said she was going to try to work to see if we can overcome that. Waiting to hear. Again, my brief interaction was extremely pleasant and I asked Kelley a lot of questions which she answered quickly and fully. 

MEI was able to transfer our cruise to them even though it was already paid in full. Think it depends on who they talk to at RCCL. Our agent kept after it and finally got it moved and we have used her ever since. Get some extra perks and they keep watch on the fare drops. Saved $600 on upcoming cruise in October with the kids and grand-kids after we had booked in January under her watchful eyes.

3 minutes ago, SteveinSC said:

I was well within 60 days. I dont think its OVER yet....as once it came back denied, Kelley said she was going to try to work to see if we can overcome that. Waiting to hear. Again, my brief interaction was extremely pleasant and I asked Kelley a lot of questions which she answered quickly and fully. 

My agent had to contact a different dept because it was outside 60 days. Maybe the same thing for you,  took about 10 days altogether. Keep the faith.

Happy Cruising!

43 minutes ago, CrznTxn said:

MEI was able to transfer our cruise to them even though it was already paid in full. Think it depends on who they talk to at RCCL. Our agent kept after it and finally got it moved and we have used her ever since. Get some extra perks and they keep watch on the fare drops. Saved $600 on upcoming cruise in October with the kids and grand-kids after we had booked in January under her watchful eyes.

Fingers crossed!!!! 

On 9/6/2019 at 10:29 AM, FManke said:

I know that the general rule was that you cannot transfer after 60 days of making your reservation, but MEI Travel managed to get mine transferred. Just took a little more work on their end, but I don't know about once it's been paid.

Same. Not with MEI but an agent nonetheless.

On 9/6/2019 at 10:42 AM, twangster said:

There is an appeals process for denials but like many things Royal, YMMV.  

I got one switched after final payment due date once.  However I know that might not happen again.  

Yep. Not sure what a travel agent had to do, but I had to write an email to someone and it was finally approved.

Maybe someone can enlighten me, but if I'm not mistaken, Royal clearly benefits financially from people not using an agent. I just feel it's a jerk move on their part to be like ... Sorry, you waited too long, that money is ours now.

We ran into this issue too!  We booked our cruise and had to pay in full the next day.  A few days later, we decided to add a travel agent since we were well within the 60 day window.  It was denied at first, by Michelle at MEI was able to get it transferred to her.  Fingers crossed they can get yours transferred too!  

• 2 weeks later...

*Update* for those interested.  Royal Caribbean has officially denied the transfer of my reservation, because its paid in full.  LESSON LEARNED....even if you can, dont pay in full till after you transfer to a Travel Agent! Too bad. I was really hoping it would work out with MEI. Ill still try to use them in the future. 

6 minutes ago, Hagar said:

The "paid in full" has always been part of the policy.  I don't say that to defend Royal, just to remind us all that now that final is 90 days from sailing, it makes it even easier to be tripped up by this.

Yeah....I didnt know about transfering a reservation as an option until after I had already paid in full.  Wasnt aware of that stipulation. Learned the hard way, I suppose! Just means I have to keep an eye out for sales, rates, etc, myself....oh well. 

19 minutes ago, SteveinSC said:

*Update* for those interested.  Royal Caribbean has officially denied the transfer of my reservation, because its paid in full.  LESSON LEARNED....even if you can, dont pay in full till after you transfer to a Travel Agent! Too bad. I was really hoping it would work out with MEI. Ill still try to use them in the future. 

Weird!  My cruise (11/30/2019 on Symphony) was booked March 2018 directly with RCCL, and paid in full mid-August 2019.  When I saw this post, I contacted MEI and Stephanie submitted the transfer request on 9/7.  It went thru several days later.  I'm sure there is a loophole somewhere!

1 hour ago, SteveinSC said:

Yeah....I didnt know about transfering a reservation as an option until after I had already paid in full.  Wasnt aware of that stipulation. Learned the hard way, I suppose! Just means I have to keep an eye out for sales, rates, etc, myself....oh well. 

I've also been told to not pay in full until 90 days out because often you aren't able to take advantage of price drops this way.  They don't like to refund your payment method.  You can maybe argue for onboard credit, but if you pay off the cruise early it seems as though you make things more difficult.  I'd rather sock the money away in a high-interest savings account until the 90 day mark and then I make the money off of it rather than Royal.

29 minutes ago, Jolly Ogre said:

What if i have a reservation with AAA for a 2020 cruise. I have cancelled my AAA membership. I have had this booked since February. I have only done the min deposit. Would, or could I get this transferred to MEI? And how much of a hit would i take?

You'd have to have AAA release the reservation back to you, and then transfer it to MEI.

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

I've also been told to not pay in full until 90 days out because often you aren't able to take advantage of price drops this way.  They don't like to refund your payment method.  You can maybe argue for onboard credit, but if you pay off the cruise early it seems as though you make things more difficult.  I'd rather sock the money away in a high-interest savings account until the 90 day mark and then I make the money off of it rather than Royal.

That's what we discovered. We paid in full on the last day (keeping my money as long as I can ? ) and then the price dropped by $150/pp. We couldn't take advantage because we were paid in full. I guess it's like buying your wedding dress... once you buy it - quit shopping! Once my PIF date comes and goes, I need to quit looking. I'm still going to have a great time, and I was willing to pay that to go in the first place, why know what I'm missing? Even if it is $300. ?

43 minutes ago, Kerry said:

Once my PIF date comes and goes, I need to quit looking.

This is good advice to keep one's sanity....however, there is one advantage to keep tracking prices.  If the price of an upgraded cabin category drops to a point BELOW what you paid for your cabin, they will upgrade you at no cost.  They will NOT refund any money to you, but they will upgrade you so that is 1 reason to keep your eyes on the prices, even after final payment.

27 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

This is good advice to keep one's sanity....however, there is one advantage to keep tracking prices.  If the price of an upgraded cabin category drops to a point BELOW what you paid for your cabin, they will upgrade you at no cost.  They will NOT refund any money to you, but they will upgrade you so that is 1 reason to keep your eyes on the prices, even after final payment.

...and off I go to check current prices!!!!

4 hours ago, SteveinSC said:

My MEI rep said no dice after getting her Ops Mgr involved? Not sure where to go from there. 

So sorry to hear that Steve ?

Your MEI rep sounds amazing though.  I just checked their website just to take a look, and not sure I have the right one.  It doesn't offer any quotes, I'd have to fill out the on-line form, is that correct?

4 minutes ago, raahc said:

So sorry to hear that Steve ?

Your MEI rep sounds amazing though.  I just checked their website just to take a look, and not sure I have the right one.  It doesn't offer any quotes, I'd have to fill out the on-line form, is that correct?

No complaints about the help I received. Very pleasant to interact with, and seems as though a strong attempt was made in the face of adversity. 

Yes, I used the online form, as a starting point, just to get the conversation started. I received a reply in less than an hour from the rep, and she took it from there!   

1 hour ago, raahc said:

You can fill out the big yellow form on RoyalCaribbeanBlog.com and they will contact you.

On 9/17/2019 at 3:34 PM, SteveinSC said:

No complaints about the help I received. Very pleasant to interact with, and seems as though a strong attempt was made in the face of adversity. 

Yes, I used the online form, as a starting point, just to get the conversation started. I received a reply in less than an hour from the rep, and she took it from there!   

That's great, thank you!

On 9/17/2019 at 4:30 PM, Matt said:

You can fill out the big yellow form on RoyalCaribbeanBlog.com and they will contact you.

Thanks Matt!

12 minutes ago, ajmp5 said:

I booked my first cruise through RCL for my honey moon without a travel agent.  What would be a benefit of using a travel agent at this point in time?  I am considering transferring my reservation to MEI, after seeing such great reviews, but wanted to know what advantages it brings at this point in time to me.

Hey,

The best advice I can give on this is either submit for a quote and get randomly assigned to an agent with us, or if you want to send me an email with a little more about you, how you like to book, and how you like to communicate, I can match you with one of our agents that responds the way you prefer.  Either way, we are happy to help!

On 9/20/2019 at 7:05 PM, Jill said:

Sharla at MEI is trying to get my Symphony cruise moved. RCCL denied initially because I was past 60 days from booking. I’m still MONTHS away from final payment. She told me to email her the denial letter. 

Hey

I work on these almost daily for the agents.  Once we have the denial email, we can fight to take this over to help watch for discounts for you.  It can take a few days to hear, but happy to help.

12 hours ago, ajmp5 said:

I booked my first cruise through RCL for my honey moon without a travel agent.  What would be a benefit of using a travel agent at this point in time?  I am considering transferring my reservation to MEI, after seeing such great reviews, but wanted to know what advantages it brings at this point in time to me.

The thing I live about using a travel agent is the service they provide that saves you time, and maybe money. So by simply transferring you may not instantly see some major shift, but here's a few things MEI typically does that you find useful....

• Repricing when a major new sale is announced.
  • Being able to quickly and easily get price quotes for future sailings.
  • Having them deal with Royal Caribbean if/when a problem occurs.

UPDATE #2: @AnnetteJackson reached out to me, and made another push to get my reservation transfered over to MEI, and it was successful!

Just the extra effort to transfer my reservation was above the call of duty. Kelley and Annette went above and beyond, and I appreciate it greatly. It's a relief to know that I have a heavy hitter in my corner, and I look forward to working with them.