FManke

Do Not Miss....

I am definitely NOT an early riser, but considering how precious time on an RC ship is, I make myself get up early and

just walk around.  Things are nice and slow in the morning, so you can amble about and see the artwork and soak in

the beauty of these mammoth beasts of the sea.

I never do the inside shows.  IMO, that is time that I could be using around the ship.  I don't nap, either.  I want to 

enjoy every single second, as I take the "this could be my last cruise ever" POV.

9 minutes ago, Floski said:

I am definitely NOT an early riser, but considering how precious time on an RC ship is, I make myself get up early and

just walk around.  Things are nice and slow in the morning, so you can amble about and see the artwork and soak in

the beauty of these mammoth beasts of the sea.

I never do the inside shows.  IMO, that is time that I could be using around the ship.  I don't nap, either.  I want to 

enjoy every single second, as I take the "this could be my last cruise ever" POV.

I'm thinking that all of us seek out a cruise strategy that best serves their allotted time, finances and unique personal tastes. Looks like you have found yours.

On 9/6/2019 at 6:04 PM, Hoski said:

The view of the ocean at night.  I love to go out late at night when it is quiet and there is no land within site to see the ocean.  That is the best feeling in the world to me.

Isn't the ocean at night just pitch black O.O

I'm going on my first cruise in Jan, 2020 but from what I can imagine with no light pollution around the ocean would be pitch black at night.

Not including the lights that illuminates the surrounding ship for you to see the wave breaks but that's about it no?

Just now, TJ! said:

Isn't the ocean at night just pitch black O.O

I'm going on my first cruise in Jan, 2020 but from what I can imagine with no light pollution around the ocean would be pitch black at night.

Not including the lights that illuminates the surrounding ship for you to see the wave breaks but that's about it no?

Provided it's not cloudy and it's the right moon phase, moonlight will reflect off of the water and it can actually be quite bright!

I think the appeal of looking at the open ocean at night is seeing the stars and the moon reflected on the ocean's surface because its so dark.  You'd be surprised how bright the moon is when there's no light pollution.

And then there's the existential aspect of the vastness of the open ocean and how minuscule we all are comparatively to the great universe.  If you're into that kind of contemplation, its very nice.  

2 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Provided it's not cloudy and it's the right moon phase, moonlight will reflect off of the water and it can actually be quite bright!

Ok I did not think of that, now that would be a sight to bask in!

15 hours ago, SweetHomeLady said:

Ordering room service breakfast and enjoying it on your balcony.

I agree 100%!!!

I know this may be a bit off topic, but I didn't want to start a new thread for it and couldn't find the answer at RC's site or by doing a quick search of the forums. The continental breakfast room services was included just over a year ago on our last cruise on Freedom. Does anyone know if it is still included or if they have plans for phasing this out? I really hope not! We are sailing on Oasis next April and this is quite literally one of my favorite things about cruising - having my coffee out on the balcony with our daughter, looking at the ocean and the flying fish early in the morning, while my wife sleeps in.

13 minutes ago, tzb said:

I agree 100%!!!

I know this may be a bit off topic, but I didn't want to start a new thread for it and couldn't find the answer at RC's site or by doing a quick search of the forums. The continental breakfast room services was included just over a year ago on our last cruise on Freedom. Does anyone know if it is still included or if they have plans for phasing this out? I really hope not! We are sailing on Oasis next April and this is quite literally one of my favorite things about cruising - having my coffee out on the balcony with our daughter, looking at the ocean and the flying fish early in the morning, while my wife sleeps in.

Continental breakfast is still available for free, but tip your delivery guy! 

Quest is an adults only crazy participation event.  If you're the kind of crazy adult not afraid of having some wild participation with other guests, participate in Quest.  If you want to watch the crazyness and dont get offended by much, take a look see, its definitely something to be experienced.

11 minutes ago, ThyriC said:

Quest is an adults only crazy participation event.  If you're the kind of crazy adult not afraid of having some wild participation with other guests, participate in Quest.  If you want to watch the crazyness and dont get offended by much, take a look see, its definitely something to be experienced.

I feel like I'm more of a watcher haha. I get stage fright if too much attention is on me regardless.

Where is quest and is it available on Symphony OTS, do you win prizes if so then i MAY reconsider watching lol.

Symphony does in fact do the Quest, and most participatory activities do involve some kind of prize.  From keychains and highlighters to hats and little medals are what I've seen for Quest prizes.  I'm usually a watcher, I dont have the guts to ask someone not my husband for their shirt  LOL

Another few "do not miss" items in my opinion

- being on the top deck at the aft upon sail away (preferably with an adult beverage) on the first day! That is is SUCH a great time. Some ports are better than others for this. I particularly like the departure ports like FLL and Miami where there are people on shore that watch the cruise ships sail away. The mood/atmosphere is awesome. 

- same as above, but when you are sailing away from ports of call. There is something so special about sailing away from a Caribbean island as well. So far, my favorite port of call sail aways are from St. Maarten and St. Thomas.

- lastly, if you have an ocean view balcony, make sure you catch at least ONE approach to a port of call from there. Alternatively, you can do this from the top deck as well. This is another special sight to behold in the morning (along with the flying fish on sea days). So far, my favorite port of call approach is St. Thomas.

PRO TIP: Bring some good binoculars, particularly if you have an ocean view balcony cabin. It will assist with all of the above, as well as the moon at night!

My first cruise is in Jan. 2020 and we stepped it up and got a ocean view balcony.

What you said was short, simple, and beautiful. I can already imagine it!:61_sob:

On 9/8/2019 at 10:50 AM, FManke said:

Where have you experienced these?

All over the caribbean.  Do I see them every time on the balcony?  Of course not but if you are on the balcony and start looking you will see them and will know what to start looking for.  Good Luck!

1 hour ago, sabarwolf said:
  • Get out of your food box. Try new things--particularly if you've wanted to or have been hesitant to.

This is a good one. I try not to repeat eating the same thing twice  just to keep it interesting. Except the escargot. I eat them every chance I get!

6 hours ago, FManke said:

This is a good one. I try not to repeat eating the same thing twice  just to keep it interesting. Except the escargot. I eat them every chance I get!

Escargot was one thing that I wanted to try on my cruise. 😄