Do Not Miss....

FManke

I know this is a broad topic to cover, but let's give it a go.

If you had to tell a new cruiser to RC or a seasoned RC cruiser going on a new ship for the first time, do not miss?

I'll go first.

1.  Do not miss the opportunity to slow down. You are on vacation. Relax
  2.  Do not miss the opportunity to stroll deck 5 on Radiance class ships where you get to connect to the ocean. We have enjoyed this multiple times everyday, especially after dinner.

I'm going to join in the chorus of Enjoy the sea.  Watch a sunset over the open ocean.  Watch a sunrise over the open ocean.  Meditate  (ok that's a little spiritual, sorry, its a thing I do) on the vastness of the open ocean when you're nowhere close to land.  Its absolutely awe inspiring that I get on every ship I've ever been on.  

Also, find a quiet spot on the ship.  You may have to search for one.  Maybe its the library, maybe its a nook off of the centrum, maybe its the solarium.  Maybe its in one of the specialty restaurants.  Maybe its the art gallery.  No matter the place, find a place to get away that's not your room, and its at least semi quiet.  Have a conversation about your trip, what you've done, who you've met.  Its amazing that in all of the hustle and bustle of a cruise so many forget to just take time to reflect on those experiences.

I'd also suggest, dont miss formal night.  Yes its adult prom.  But I love it.  No matter the cruise line, no matter specialty unlimited dining packages, take time to enjoy formal night.  Take pictures.  You dont get this moment many times anymore as an adult.  So make the most of it.  Get in those suits, get in those sparkly or flowy dresses or pantsuits.  Have FUN at adult prom.  Its 3 hours of your life.  Suck it up for 3 hours and then you can put on your track suit again.  

...the artwork around the ship. Take a different staircase, visit a floor you wouldn't normally have to go to (the artwork is unique to each ship).

...an opportunity to connect with a crew member . Yes, they are busy, but many enjoy the opportunity to share with you something that they are interested in or love.

There are certain aromatic experiences that make me happy on a cruise.  Visit the Schooner Bar and smell the rope oil.  That bar is my favorite as a result.  The Smell of a coconut/pineapple shampoo was another one.  Although, the shampoo was from many years ago.  

There are several visual experiences also.  We enjoy sitting in the Viking Crown Lounge when it is quiet to have a great view.  Our balcony at sunset or sunrise.  

Happy sailing!

D

Talking to new people.  I am not a people person lol but I had a blast meeting new people on the cruise.  Most people are very friendly and its fascinating to see so many people from all walks of life.  This includes crew members. 

Take part in some of the activities on board.  The game shows and trivia were awesome.  Remember you on vacation, let loose and try things you normally wouldn't.  Keeping an open mind made our first cruise so much better.  

15 hours ago, Hoski said:

The view of the ocean at night.  I love to go out late at night when it is quiet and there is no land within site to see the ocean.  That is the best feeling in the world to me.

I love staring out into the darkness of nothing on my balcony just before calling it a night! 

On 9/6/2019 at 8:04 PM, Hoski said:

The view of the ocean at night.  I love to go out late at night when it is quiet and there is no land within site to see the ocean.  That is the best feeling in the world to me.

This is a must @Hoski, we were lucky enough to have a full moon during our last cruise. Incredible!

On 9/7/2019 at 1:08 AM, SpeedNoodles said:

...an opportunity to connect with a crew member . Yes, they are busy, but many enjoy the opportunity to share with you something that they are interested in or love.

Good point @SpeedNoodles. I would imagine that crew members, at least the ones in the public areas,  come into contact with literally 100,000s of passengers every year with little interaction with passengers. A please and thank you and a friendly smile goes a long way.

Last cruise you would have thought I gave this crew member $1000, when I simply told them thank you for keeping the public rest rooms so clean. Which they were and I wanted them to know I appreciated it. It's a thank less job. But it doesn't have to be.

3 minutes ago, kontraxed said:

I get up early in the morning. First thing is to go up on deck. It is amazingly quiet with almost no one else about. Then, I head down to the Café Promenade for coffee and to read a book or have a conversation with other early risers. I love the early morning on a cruise ship!

I do the same as an early riser. Grab some coffee and walk the ship, pre-sunrise while it's quiet and pretty much deserted. Very peaceful.

21 hours ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

My addition .... Disconnect!

Put the phone in your safe (or airplane mode if you must use it as a camera) and enjoy the company of whomever you're with. If sailing alone then go make some friends for the rest of the trip and enjoy their company.

This is my one thing that I insist we follow. No internet for us while on the cruise.

Don't miss the flying fish!  Every morning I order coffee for the room and I stand out on the balcony to enjoy the sea.  If you watch closely you can see the flying fish.  Depending on how high up you are will determine the size your looking for.   If your above seven they will be about the size of a dragon fly.  Once you see one you will be hooked.!

1 minute ago, MikeK said:

Don't miss the flying fish!  Every morning I order coffee for the room and I stand out on the balcony to enjoy the sea.  If you watch closely you can see the flying fish.  Depending on how high up you are will determine the size your looking for.   If your above seven they will be about the size of a dragon fly.  Once you see one you will be hooked.!

Where have you experienced these?

I am definitely NOT an early riser, but considering how precious time on an RC ship is, I make myself get up early and

just walk around.  Things are nice and slow in the morning, so you can amble about and see the artwork and soak in

the beauty of these mammoth beasts of the sea.

I never do the inside shows.  IMO, that is time that I could be using around the ship.  I don't nap, either.  I want to 

enjoy every single second, as I take the "this could be my last cruise ever" POV.

9 minutes ago, Floski said:

I am definitely NOT an early riser, but considering how precious time on an RC ship is, I make myself get up early and

just walk around.  Things are nice and slow in the morning, so you can amble about and see the artwork and soak in

the beauty of these mammoth beasts of the sea.

I never do the inside shows.  IMO, that is time that I could be using around the ship.  I don't nap, either.  I want to 

enjoy every single second, as I take the "this could be my last cruise ever" POV.

I'm thinking that all of us seek out a cruise strategy that best serves their allotted time, finances and unique personal tastes. Looks like you have found yours.

On 9/6/2019 at 6:04 PM, Hoski said:

Isn't the ocean at night just pitch black O.O

I'm going on my first cruise in Jan, 2020 but from what I can imagine with no light pollution around the ocean would be pitch black at night.

Not including the lights that illuminates the surrounding ship for you to see the wave breaks but that's about it no?

Just now, TJ! said:

Isn't the ocean at night just pitch black O.O

I'm going on my first cruise in Jan, 2020 but from what I can imagine with no light pollution around the ocean would be pitch black at night.

Not including the lights that illuminates the surrounding ship for you to see the wave breaks but that's about it no?

Provided it's not cloudy and it's the right moon phase, moonlight will reflect off of the water and it can actually be quite bright!

I think the appeal of looking at the open ocean at night is seeing the stars and the moon reflected on the ocean's surface because its so dark.  You'd be surprised how bright the moon is when there's no light pollution.

And then there's the existential aspect of the vastness of the open ocean and how minuscule we all are comparatively to the great universe.  If you're into that kind of contemplation, its very nice.  

15 hours ago, SweetHomeLady said:

Ordering room service breakfast and enjoying it on your balcony.

I agree 100%!!!

I know this may be a bit off topic, but I didn't want to start a new thread for it and couldn't find the answer at RC's site or by doing a quick search of the forums. The continental breakfast room services was included just over a year ago on our last cruise on Freedom. Does anyone know if it is still included or if they have plans for phasing this out? I really hope not! We are sailing on Oasis next April and this is quite literally one of my favorite things about cruising - having my coffee out on the balcony with our daughter, looking at the ocean and the flying fish early in the morning, while my wife sleeps in.

13 minutes ago, tzb said:

I agree 100%!!!

I know this may be a bit off topic, but I didn't want to start a new thread for it and couldn't find the answer at RC's site or by doing a quick search of the forums. The continental breakfast room services was included just over a year ago on our last cruise on Freedom. Does anyone know if it is still included or if they have plans for phasing this out? I really hope not! We are sailing on Oasis next April and this is quite literally one of my favorite things about cruising - having my coffee out on the balcony with our daughter, looking at the ocean and the flying fish early in the morning, while my wife sleeps in.

Continental breakfast is still available for free, but tip your delivery guy! 

Quest is an adults only crazy participation event.  If you're the kind of crazy adult not afraid of having some wild participation with other guests, participate in Quest.  If you want to watch the crazyness and dont get offended by much, take a look see, its definitely something to be experienced.

11 minutes ago, ThyriC said:

Quest is an adults only crazy participation event.  If you're the kind of crazy adult not afraid of having some wild participation with other guests, participate in Quest.  If you want to watch the crazyness and dont get offended by much, take a look see, its definitely something to be experienced.

I feel like I'm more of a watcher haha. I get stage fright if too much attention is on me regardless.

Where is quest and is it available on Symphony OTS, do you win prizes if so then i MAY reconsider watching lol.

Symphony does in fact do the Quest, and most participatory activities do involve some kind of prize.  From keychains and highlighters to hats and little medals are what I've seen for Quest prizes.  I'm usually a watcher, I dont have the guts to ask someone not my husband for their shirt  LOL