Best time to buy airfare to FLL during SPRING BREAK?

Baked Alaska

Hello everyone. I've listened to this podcast episode: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/podcast/episode-245-airfare-tricks-and-strategies. I am wondering, though, if it holds true to book 90 days out for spring break airfare to FLL? We are on Oasis on March 22, 2020. We are flying in to do a little fishing in the area on Thursday, March 19th. We will fly Southwest, which I believe we can reprice just like an RCCL cruise. Any suggestions for Florida spring break flights?

SWA only has its calendar open to 3/6, so your booking window may only be about 90 days by the time dates are extended. 

That said, my general rule is to book ASAP, even on SWA, especially during high season travel times. I currently have tickets booked for later this month,  October break, Thanksgiving, early January and Spring Break - mix of JB, AA, SWA and Delta. Fares have only gone up since I booked. 

Spring Break flights open on SW on 9/26.  I haven't figured out if it is midnight or a certain time in the morning.  My plan is to be on it that day especially if I hope for a Wanna Get Away flight.  We are flying to Orlando and that is one of the few direct flights.  

Where I live, Jet Blue has been my go to airline for FLL.  I wish they flew to MCO.  For me, they've been much cheaper than SW over SB.  

My tips: 

•  look at both FLL and MIA (figure cost of transportation for MIA to FLL). 
  • be willing to do 2 one way trips on different airlines or miles one way and pay for the return flight. 
  • Split up the group!  I need to look for prices for 5 of us and I will often book us split up (2 and 3 or 4 and 1) since sometimes there are only 1-4 tickets left at a certain price, however, if I search for 5, then it shows me the higher fare for all 5 tickets. 

Just know the prices of the other airlines and if you see a one way you like now, jump on it.  Since its SB, you know even SW won't be that cheap!

If I recall, the SW wanna get away rates go on sale at around 7 or 8am eastern time on the day they're released.  I'm a fan of those rates, and do my own online check-in 24 hours before the flight to the cruise port (to get a good boarding position), but I spend the money on the Early Bird check-in so I don't have to worry about it while I'm on the cruise.  SW does the check-in automatically for me more than 24 hours out for the flight home.

Thank you @Sweety @Lovetocruise2002 @WannaCruise @Brobbins246 @melski94 @BunnyHutt @WhiteSoxFan for confirming my thoughts, everyone. I do plan to fly into FLL, rather than MIA, even though our cruise departs from Miami. Just too expensive to fly into MIA from STL. I don't follow the 90 day rule. I like to feel relaxed that 1) got flights booked, and 2) got my seats (or boarding group) I wanted, and 3) I got a flight instead of facing sold out flights. I even did this with our 7/2019 Alaska cruise (southbound) and vacation. I bought our tickets (1 way) back in August 2018 (United and Delta). Then the 737-Max groundings happened. Even though we never got bumped from a flight in the airport, we did get put into comparable seats (if not better) when our flights were changed (3 times!) in the months leading up to our Alaska vacation and cruise. I can't say with any certainty, but I feel that since we had already had those booked waaay out, that helped our situation. Carpe Diem!