Adventure Ocean First Timers

SteveinSC

We are booked on Rhapsody of the Seas for an April 04 sailing in the Western Caribbean.  This will be our first time taking our boys on a cruise.  We are very excited about sharing this with them, and have been talking to them about Adventure Ocean, as we have heard great things from friends.  We have an 8 and 4 year old, and are curious as what to expect from Adventure Ocean, overall? I understand its a scaled down version on Rhapsody, but more than that, im curious as to how fun it will be for my boys? How organized is it? Is it pretty much just free time to run and play? Is there somewhere I can see what types of things they do? What type of training do the RC employees in Adventure Ocean have? SO MANY QUESTIONS before I leave my kids with a stranger for hours......ya know? 

1 hour ago, SteveinSC said:

We are booked on Rhapsody of the Seas for an April 04 sailing in the Western Caribbean.  This will be our first time taking our boys on a cruise.  We are very excited about sharing this with them, and have been talking to them about Adventure Ocean, as we have heard great things from friends.  We have an 8 and 4 year old, and are curious as what to expect from Adventure Ocean, overall? I understand its a scaled down version on Rhapsody, but more than that, im curious as to how fun it will be for my boys? How organized is it? Is it pretty much just free time to run and play? Is there somewhere I can see what types of things they do? What type of training do the RC employees in Adventure Ocean have? SO MANY QUESTIONS before I leave my kids with a stranger for hours......ya know? 

Be sure to get them registered early and if at all possible get them in there the first night. Even little kids form groups and it’s much easier when everyone doesn’t know each other than trying to join in the next day. 

7 minutes ago, Andrew72681 said:

Be sure to get them registered early and if at all possible get them in there the first night. Even little kids form groups and it’s much easier when everyone doesn’t know each other than trying to join in the next day. 

Great point! I had heard Matt say, multiple times, to get them registered a.s.a.p. in order to save time, but this adds to that!  Thanks for the feedback! 

1 minute ago, mcoler18 said:

We are going to take ours on the first day when we go in October, im not sure if they will want to stay though. They are 5 and 9 and are always a little apprehensive to go in kids clubs initially but end up loving them, but being in different age groups im not sure if they will actually want to go in.

Im curious about how my boys will take to it, also.  Our 7 year old (will be 8 at time of sailing) is usually so chill and laid back that hes fine with anything and anyone. Our 3 (will be 4) year old, though....a little more passionate in life. lol  He has been in daycare since he was 8 weeks old, and STILL doesnt want to go in some days. It should be interesting! 

3 hours ago, SteveinSC said:

As always, youre a wealth of information.  Thanks, Matt! Anything I should know about AO on Rhapsody, in particular, since youve done it? 

Unlike all the other ships, AO is basically one large room with curtains in the middle. Odd set up, relative to the rest of the fleet.

It’s essentially one large room, separated into three sections. The counselors described the set up as the Aquanauts having a glass door separator, but Explorers and Voyagers are basically together since the space is so small.

DSC_0117_4.jpg

DSC_0115_1.jpg

DSC_0111_2.jpg

13 minutes ago, Matt said:

Unlike all the other ships, AO is basically one large room with curtains in the middle. Odd set up, relative to the rest of the fleet.

It’s essentially one large room, separated into three sections. The counselors described the set up as the Aquanauts having a glass door separator, but Explorers and Voyagers are basically together since the space is so small.

DSC_0117_4.jpg

DSC_0115_1.jpg

DSC_0111_2.jpg

WOW....thanks so much, Matt!!!!  That looks fantastic!!!! Way bigger than I imagined in my head. Having never seen AO on any other ship, this looks completely fine to me! lol Hoping my boys love it!! You really are the best, man. Thanks again. 

8 hours ago, SteveinSC said:

I am looking into purchasing short distance (required) walkie talkies for the cruise, and having my 8 year old keep one with him.  Will they allow that in AO, or do they have some way to get in touch with me if something were to happen to either child? 

The walkie-talkies always seemed like a good idea until we actually tried them about a decade ago. With the entire ship and the rooms being giant metal cages, inexpensive walkies seem to not do the job. 

My grand kids (11, 10, 9 &7) all have loved the RCCL kids club and did not like the Disney (too much computer and not enough interaction by the staff). They were unsure going in but by the first evening wanted to go back all the time. The staff is great and we visited with them to make sure of their capabilities and training. We have an upcoming cruise in October with 2 of the G'kids and they are already looking forward to going and making new friends. Definitely go early and sign them up to avoid the crowds. Gives you a chance to look the place over and become familiar with the layout. Wish RCCL had the pager system as Princess but we have never had an issue.

3 minutes ago, CrznTxn said:

My grand kids (11, 10, 9 &7) all have loved the RCCL kids club and did not like the Disney (too much computer and not enough interaction by the staff). They were unsure going in but by the first evening wanted to go back all the time. The staff is great and we visited with them to make sure of their capabilities and training. We have an upcoming cruise in October with 2 of the G'kids and they are already looking forward to going and making new friends. Definitely go early and sign them up to avoid the crowds. Gives you a chance to look the place over and become familiar with the layout. Wish RCCL had the pager system as Princess but we have never had an issue.

Good to hear AO is better received by the kids than other cruise camps. At this point, the inability to communicate is my only reservation, honestly. I dont consider us helicopter parents, by any means (said every helicopter parent)....but it would be nice to know I can be reached for some reason.  Im sure it will be fine, though. 

I have been cruising since I was very young. Adventure Ocean has always been my favorite kids program (as opposed to Carnival, Celebrity, and Holland America). Back then, we did arts and crafts, sports, scavenger hunts, watched movies, and played games. I never wanted to leave and I still have so much Adventure Ocean swag that I won. I even enjoyed the teens program on Royal Caribbean, too. You will receive an Adventure Ocean cruise compass every night in your cabin for your kids' age group for the day's activities.

53 minutes ago, MelKaps said:

I have been cruising since I was very young. Adventure Ocean has always been my favorite kids program (as opposed to Carnival, Celebrity, and Holland America). Back then, we did arts and crafts, sports, scavenger hunts, watched movies, and played games. I never wanted to leave and I still have so much Adventure Ocean swag that I won. I even enjoyed the teens program on Royal Caribbean, too. You will receive an Adventure Ocean cruise compass every night in your cabin for your kids' age group for the day's activities.

Awesome! Thats the first Id heard about a seperate Cruise Compass. I hope they enjoy it as much as you did! 

Pagers are for 3 and under or special needs.  My youngest has anxiety, ADHD and some other issues and on the Empress they gave me a pager.  The prior cruise on the Navigator they did not.  Much to our surprise she went and enjoyed herself and did not want picked up.  I tend to hover because I worry about her but I do feel comfortable with her in AO.  Give it a try.  If they need you they will find you.  They will start by calling your stateroom then track where your sail and sign card is being used and at worst they will page you.