5th Oasis Class Ship

It will be interesting to see what broadway show will appear on her, I hope RC doesn't move CATS to her.? That would suck!!

I would think that the production team would start casting at least 6 months out at a minimum. Things to ponder..would it be easier to move all existing stage products from a current show to the new ship or start with a new production show?  If so, they would have to ship all of the stage props and equipment to Europe.

3 hours ago, Jolly Ogre said:

I would like to see Rocky Horror or Sgt Peppers.

Or Saturday Night Fever, or a stage production of the Album Bat out of Hell.

Rocky Horror will never happen on a family cruise ship.  Virgin Cruises?  Maybe.

Sony owns the rights to Beatles music, they'll never allow it.

SNF is on Liberty.  

You want to make a 60 minute show out of a song?

Chicago you could most likely get but not very family friendly. Wicked is still too popular (pun intended) as is Hamilton. Selling rights for cruise ship productions is only done after you milked all the money you can elsewhere. 

Shows that have left broadway in the last few years and no longer have 1st tier touring companies are your best bet.  

A few shows off the top of my head that meet those criteria and would fit a cruise ship:

1. Legally Blonde

2. Waitress (leaves broadway in January)

3. In the Heights (though there is a movie coming out next year so...)

4.  Once (would be great for small ships)

5.  Kinky Boots

6.  The Drowsy Chaperone (it would kill but no one would go to it because they have never heard of it.)

7. Next to Normal and Spring Awaking are fabulous but probably  too dark for a cruise ship.

In other words, anything but Cats...

The reality is very few shows that work on Broadway can adapt to a ship where the set has to be broken down weekly and stored only to be rebuilt a few days later.  On land these shows have permanent home theaters for months and years.  On a ship the theater is multi use, the big show one or two nights, then headliners, comedy, bingo, RC shows, Love and Marriage, etc.

I imagine the biggest challenge is getting the production company who owns the rights to agree to set modifications to adapt to a show to a ship.   Even then some sets require large pieces that won't fit through a door on a ship.  They are not going to cut a massive hole in the side of ship just to insert a large piece of a set.

Even the home port of the ship could become an issue if another production company has exclusive rights in the operating region.

Money is certainly a factor but there is so much more to it.

43 minutes ago, StayFrosty said:

From my experience in local theater, rights holders are also very hesitant to allow changes to the content.  And correct me if I am wrong but aren’t royal’s production trimmed for time. 

Not all Royal show were trimmed (for example cats and I think also Mama Mia) , 

Chicago was on one of the ships (Allure I think before Mama Mia) they did not really invest in the set it was very lean production.

The key (my opinion anyway)  is to have musicals which at least some of the songs are well known by many , have nice set that is being changed during the show.  

13 hours ago, twangster said:

Rocky Horror will never happen on a family cruise ship.  Virgin Cruises?  Maybe.

Sony owns the rights to Beatles music, they'll never allow it.

SNF is on Liberty.  

You want to make a 60 minute show out of a song?

They just had Rocky Horror on national TV.

Not just the one song, the whole album.

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

Not all Royal show were trimmed (for example cats and I think also Mama Mia) , 

Chicago was on one of the ships (Allure I think before Mama Mia) they did not really invest in the set it was very lean production.

The key (my opinion anyway)  is to have musicals which at least some of the songs are well known by many , have nice set that is being changed during the show.  

Chicago was definitely trimmed, almost in half.  I know that the producers of Mama Mia agreed to allow the RCL production on the condition that it be performed uncut.

There's no way Hamilton would ever be staged on a cruise ship, it's the hottest show in the world even after a few years.  You'll never see the Disney productions.  The old classics are great for the baby boomers and older, but will not resonate with the younger cruisers.  There are some other decent productions that could be good candidates such as Billy Elliot, Far and Away, perhaps even Phantom. 

7 hours ago, Brobbins246 said:

Sorry I'm out of the loop on Cats, but what didn't people like about it?  Was it just a bomb on RC or do lots of people dislike it in general?  I've never seen it, I just know that song Memories was in it.

Cats has several issues ,first as @WAAAYTOOO said it's very long and hard to follow, the audience are not really familiar with  most of the songs beside Memories and it's the same set during all the show. I think maybe if RC would hand out some explanation pages before the show people might enjoy it better.

17 hours ago, PatsFanBrian said:

I wonder if there will be more interest in Cats with the movie coming out later this year.  BTW, if you want to get creeped out, watch the trailer.  Looks more like something out of Dr Moreau's Island.

I’m a huge fan of the Cats trailer set to the music from that movie Us. SUPER creepy.