Alaska Cruise: RCL or Princess

subwaymark

Hi all,

I usually don't use travel agents as I am a detailed travel planner myself. But my wife and I are planning a cruise with her sister and her husband for June of 2017. Since we also want to include Denali, I thought I'd use a travel agent. 

The agent is heavily endorsing using Princess as Princess dominates the Alaska market including having its own train to Denali. We have never been on Princess. We have been on Carnival once, and Royal 3 soon to be 4 times. We really like Royal. I even planned our cruises such that we would Platinum for C&A just in time for the Alaska cruise.

The agent has not worked up quotes yet for Princes or Royal, but they will be coming. Does anyone here have any direct experience comparing Princess Alaska Cruises vs. Royal. I looking for some feedback over and above the travel agent.

Thanks!

Mark K

Salem, Oregon

Your TA is correct; Princess and Holland America dominate the Alaska market and have several more ships and cruise tour options than does Royal or Celebrity, which is also owned by Royal.  However, you can have the same experience with any of the lines as the inland packages are the trains that they use are largely the same.  That said, your choice of departure dates and options will be greater with the other two simply because they have more ships located up there.  Your only choice with Royal would be the Radiance, which is a lovely ship but it's the only one doing the one-way itineraries.

I've cruised Alaska with both Princess and Holland America and enjoyed both; however, they offer a different experience than you would get on Royal.

We are doing Alaska this summer on Royal Caribbean - we choose RC because we had a party of diverse ages 15-50's and RC has many more activities that appeal to the broad range of ages.  we are very active and can't wait to enjoy all the sports, activities and family fun offered by RC.  The other cruise lines do not cater as much to the younger crowd.