What Not to do.....

mark.s

Not that I ever considered NCL, but after watching  this..  I.sure as hell never will now.

They kept people behind a locked gate, in a small shed, and on stationary buses with no food or water for hours. What is this company thinking!!

https://www.fox8live.com/2019/09/04/nearly-passengers-stranded-after-cruise-line-diverts-course-hurricane-dorian/

4 minutes ago, Crabbycruiser said:

Why only 200 passengers?  Where were the rest of the passengers?  Seems like there might be something missing from this story.  ?

I believe those were all the passengers who’s cars were in Miami.  They helped the people who flew into Miami but left the people who drove in to fend for themselves when they dumped them off in New Orleans.

I just don’t get whey they wouldn’t keep the ship at seas like Royal did and then bring the people back to their original port? I mean seriously ........ the ship STILL has to go back to Miami for its next cruise 

3 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

I believe those were all the passengers who’s cars were in Miami.  They helped the people who flew into Miami but left the people who drove in to fend for themselves when they dumped them off in New Orleans.

I just don’t get whey they wouldn’t keep the ship at seas like Royal did and then bring the people back to their original port? I mean seriously ........ the ship STILL has to go back to Miami for its next cruise 

Ah....  Well that still doesn't make any sense.  Like you said, it's not like the ship was going to pick up a new load of pax in NO and sail them around....

...and when you think about it....they were willing to fly those people into Miami into a hurricane... even though the ship couldn't sail into Miami.  Pretty awful all the way around.  I know that it turned out that Miami was unaffected by the hurricane but they didn't really know that at the time....

23 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Ah....  Well that still doesn't make any sense.  Like you said, it's not like the ship was going to pick up a new load of pax in NO and sail them around....

...and when you think about it....they were willing to fly those people into Miami into a hurricane... even though the ship couldn't sail into Miami.  Pretty awful all the way around.  I know that it turned out that Miami was unaffected by the hurricane but they didn't really know that at the time....

To me it seems like they made the decision that it would be cheaper for them to dump everybody off in the wrong port, than to extend their cruise for free and eventually take them back to where they started.

I only cruised on NCL once in the 90’s but after seeing this ...... and then today also seeing videos of a ship they sent thru a bomb cyclone between the Bahamas and New York after being warned of the winter storm, and stranding a ship full of people in Barcelona they could have taken back to Rome this past July, I’d never sail on them again!

54 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

I'm not going to defend NCL other than to say that I keep a fairly close eye on weather, and I had to look up the term 'bomb cyclone'.  By definition, it is a rapidly developing storm.  Maybe there wasn't enough notice or there was no notice at all.  Just a thought.  Even if the bomb cyclone wasn't their fault, this thing with Hurrincane Dorien was not handled well.

They claim they didn't have transportation, but were stuck on busses???  Some people just thought they were there for the day???  Something doesn't sound right...I think(just my guess) that those 200 requested to get off in New Orleans and there was a time difference between when they disembarked and when they could get their chartered jet.  They were confined to an area in the port for security reasons.    They were not just dumped, they simply had to wait for a delayed plane, but it is a better story if they were dumped.

8 hours ago, ChrisK2793 said:

That’s just insane!!!!! I don’t get why they couldn’t just let everybody stay cruising on the ship until they could bring them back to the port in Miami??????  Like Royal Caribbean has done with their ships that were supposed to be back by now.

According to one of the people who were on the ship they were told the ship was running out of food, so I assume they maybe couldn't have just stayed at sea?  That's just a guess based on what he said he was told.

@SpeedNoodles Note to self...don't book NCL...they don't carry enough food to last the duration of the cruise plus a couple extra days or People like to eat on that cruise line and will fight your for food. ? This will be a 10 Round bout for tonights meal..loser gets table scraps..Introducing in this the corner...Skinny Tim for the red corner and bubba Joe for the blue corner. ?

1 hour ago, RCVoyager said:

I'm not going to defend NCL other than to say that I keep a fairly close eye on weather, and I had to look up the term 'bomb cyclone'.  By definition, it is a rapidly developing storm.  Maybe there wasn't enough notice or there was no notice at all.  Just a thought.  Even if the bomb cyclone wasn't their fault, this thing with Hurrincane Dorien was not handled well.

One other note with regard to NCL taking chances with things like 'bomb cyclones'.  From my bio, you may see that I have sailed NCL just once.  There were some things my family and I didn't like about their operation, and we have not booked them since.  One of our concerns was that while on inside passage day, the other cruise lines we saw cruised much closer to the shore line than we did.  The passengers on those ships got really nice looks at the wildlife on shore.  We were so far away, we couldn't really see anything.  so that trip went from overly cautious to bomb cyclone being too risky.  Seems weird.

1 hour ago, RCVoyager said:

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2018/01/articles/rough-weather/passengers-terrorized-norwegian-breakaway-sails-through-bomb-cyclone/

Norwegian had plenty of advance notice of the storm, in the above linked article it says:

”By this date, and as early as December 31, 2017, weather forecasters were unanimously predicting that a huge storm would form off the U.S.’s southeast coast and head north later in the week.

But Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) stuck with its itinerary and subjected the passengers to several days of extreme winds and waves as the hurricane-strength storm pounded the cruise ship on January 3rd and 4th.”

https://www.newsweek.com/hurricane-dorian-strands-cruise-ship-passengers-new-orleans-everyones-been-starving-no-one-1457562

The above linked article from Newsweek says Norwegian left THOUSANDS of passengers stranded in New Orleans from BOTH the NCL Breakaway AND the NCL Sun ....... I’m not sure why the other article only mentions 200 

41 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

https://www.newsweek.com/hurricane-dorian-strands-cruise-ship-passengers-new-orleans-everyones-been-starving-no-one-1457562

The above linked article from Newsweek says Norwegian left THOUSANDS of passengers stranded in New Orleans from BOTH the NCL Breakaway AND the NCL Sun ....... I’m not sure why the other article only mentions 200 

A few people are contradicting the article in the comments, but apparently some have been deleted.

10 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

I know I’m being cynical, but I do wonder if those 5 comments praising NCL and saying the article was a lie were written by NCL employees 

No, I wonder about that too, but I really cannot imagine people packing everything to get off the ship and then saying they just thought they were going to spend the day in New Orleans (implying they would get back on the ship)  or complaining about no transportation while being "held" on a bus.