Extended Cruises & Packages

Orange Crush

The impact of Dorian had me wondering--if you're on a cruise that gets extended due to inclement weather re-routes (say a 5 night becomes a 7 night) what happens to per-day package purchases (i.e. Drink Package, Voom, Ultimate Dining, etc.) for those additional days?  Do you have to pay for the extra days or do they move everyone to ala-carte once the pre-purchased timeframe expires?  Or do they just give you the package benefits for the extra days?

Likewise, what happens if the cruise gets shortened do to a weather situation?  

Reading around, the shortened cruises are being prorated but I was curious about the lengthened trips as well! I also wonder how many may have had no choice but to buy the internet package just so they could make further travel arrangements/ contact family? 

On Navigator now, day 5 of a 3 night cruise.

Boarding on Aug. 30 they had already informed us it was going to be an extended 5 night cruise the day before. No additional costs.

I had bought the DX drink package and UDP dining package before sailing.  Both were extended at no cost. 

I bought the internet on board as a "full voyage" plan.  The Voom plan was priced based on a 3 night cruise.  It cut off last night near midnight (night 4) thinking my 3 nights were done.  I visited the Voom desk this morning and they re-activated my plan at no cost.

Yesterday a letter was in my cabin to inquire if I would care to add automatic gratuity for days 4 and 5.  I had prepaid my automatic gratuity before sailing but that only covered nights 1 to 3 so I agreed and took the letter to guest services. 

I've eaten at Playmakers nearly everyday covered by the UDP.  

Last night for our dinner in Hooked they couldn't add the reservation in the system since the system sort of still thinks the cruise is a 3 night cruise.  In Playmakers today for lunch (day 5) they had a print-out that listed everyone who had the UDP and they manually recorded the meal for internal reconciliation later.  No charge for lunch again today.

They've done a great job with communication, I must have a dozen emails plus the announcements.  

Great experience overall.  

Two years ago on Allure, we were extended from 7 days to 10 days due to Hurricane Irma. They offered half off beverages on the extra days as well as half off specialty dining. They waived the dress codes at all the dining venues. They gave everyone free 30 minutes of internet access to contact home. You could also visit the conference room center to use the phone. I also think laundry was offered at a discount as well.

They also told us we'll get 5 nights worth of Crown and Anchor points.  Since I'm in a Junior Suite the normal bonus multipliers apply.

They offered a special on board to stay on for the next sailing which was reduced from 4 nights to 2 nights.  The price for a suite guarantee was $249 total plus gratuity.  For a couple that would be $249 total for both people.  

I booked it on day 2 I think.  On day 3 I looked in the app and saw the new booking.  I was given a Grand Suite.  Ironically the suite I was given is currently occupied by a friend who is also on this sailing.  He departs tomorrow and I get to take over his suite :4_joy:

9 minutes ago, twangster said:

They also told us we'll get 5 nights worth of Crown and Anchor points.  Since I'm in a Junior Suite the normal bonus multipliers apply.

They offered a special on board to stay on for the next sailing which was reduced from 4 nights to 2 nights.  The price for a suite guarantee was $249 total plus gratuity.  For a couple that would be $249 total for both people.  

I booked it on day 2 I think.  On day 3 I looked in the app and saw the new booking.  I was given a Grand Suite.  Ironically the suite I was given is currently occupied by a friend who is also on this sailing.  He departs tomorrow and I get to take over his suite :4_joy:

Wow !

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2019 at 3:35 PM, Orange Crush said:

The impact of Dorian had me wondering--if you're on a cruise that gets extended due to inclement weather re-routes (say a 5 night becomes a 7 night) what happens to per-day package purchases (i.e. Drink Package, Voom, Ultimate Dining, etc.) for those additional days?  Do you have to pay for the extra days or do they move everyone to ala-carte once the pre-purchased timeframe expires?  Or do they just give you the package benefits for the extra days?

Likewise, what happens if the cruise gets shortened do to a weather situation?  

Our cruise on Allure was shortened by 3 days. Those that cancelled were offered a 100% FCC and a full refund of any pre-paid purchases (internet/drinking packages, excursions, gratuities, and port taxes/fees).  For those of us that decided to still sail, they gave us a 3 day credit as refundable OBC and an additional 3 days credit as FCC; both amounts equal to cruise fare paid per person.  We were also given the full 7 days of C&A points.   

13 hours ago, Mr. Candyman said:

We were also given the full 7 days of C&A points.   

Yes!  Dorian did not take away my achieving Diamond on that Allure cruise!  Couldn't be more pleased with how Royal handled the situation, especially when I was reading about how other cruise lines handled it.