Allure Med cruise considering 2 bdrm grand suite

Hello, looking  for some advice on a possible  future  cruise. We are a family of 2 adults and 4 kids who will be ages 10, 12, 15 and 17 at the time of the cruise. We are quite new to cruising, but have been very fortunate  to enjoy  two spring break cruises, on Harmony and Symphony, in recent years. On both of those cruises, we stayed in connecting Boardwalk balcony cabins, which worked well for our family.

We are looking  at a Western Mediterranean  Allure of the Seas cruise for August  2020. Our travel agent has put a hold on a 2 bedroom grand suite (9244) for us. I had not initially thought of a suite, and the cost is higher. However, it is tempting, as we will be celebrating  a milestone birthday  and this will be a special trip! I also  think we would enjoy some of the suite perks. Can you confirm that this suite would be considered  a sky class suite?  

I would love to hear about others' thoughts on this cabin for a Med cruise. I think we might enjoy the complimentary  room service , especially  after long port days. The complimentary drinks in the suite lounge could be a nice perk, as unlike the Caribbean cruises, we wouldn't be purchasing the alcohol  drink package. What types of drinks are typically available during this complimentary time? Any cocktails or mixed drinks like rum and cokes?

I would love to hear any other thoughts related to this cabin, the Allure Western Med itinerary, etc. 

Thank you!

We did this on the first HM t/a which we thought was fantastic. If the daily rate for the 2 bedroom GS comes in at an acceptable rate for you compared to 2 connecting cabins, I vote go for it! Both bedrooms have real doors and of course the 2 bathrooms is a "must have." Having 24 hour lounge access and the cocktails is a nice cherry on top too. Beer, wine and cocktails do have brand limitations in the lounge but the concierge should have that list on your welcome aboard sheet as a reference on day one (if not there are usually some in the lounge as a reminder).

The travel agent could not find us connecting balconies for our preferred date. Two adjacent ocean view balconies were quoted as approximately  $3100 CAD less. Not having connecting rooms would not be ideal, and I think we would enjoy the perks (eg Voom, suite lounge evening drinks, room service). Still, $3000 is not insignificant. Thanks for  your thoughts so far.

This is something I've been thinking a lot about as I'm trying to make a similar decision.  Actually have the same suite booked for one of the October Med sailings for Allure.  I've been debating switching to two connecting balconies because it would allow us to move the sailing to a warmer month (due to small party size we can't book the 2 bedroom grand suite in the prime months so am stuck with Oct for now).  One thing that I've been thinking about (to try to convince myself to give up the lovely suite) and you may want to consider is the fact that you could buy the Key and still get a lot of suite-like benefits.  However in your situation I'd take the 2 bedroom due to the separate living/dining space, better balcony space and ability to have room service dinners. Of course I have no actual experience except the fact that I've been googling this for two weeks straight!

13 hours ago, berkeleykel said:

This is something I've been thinking a lot about as I'm trying to make a similar decision.  Actually have the same suite booked for one of the October Med sailings for Allure.  I've been debating switching to two connecting balconies because it would allow us to move the sailing to a warmer month (due to small party size we can't book the 2 bedroom grand suite in the prime months so am stuck with Oct for now).  One thing that I've been thinking about (to try to convince myself to give up the lovely suite) and you may want to consider is the fact that you could buy the Key and still get a lot of suite-like benefits.  However in your situation I'd take the 2 bedroom due to the separate living/dining space, better balcony space and ability to have room service dinners. Of course I have no actual experience except the fact that I've been googling this for two weeks straight!

Thanks for your thoughts. I just played around with some other options. Three Central Park view Interior cabins, all in a row but none connecting, would save us $6000 CAD. No nice perks but we could pay for some nice extras (drinks, excursions, etc.). We've never not had a balcony but with this itinerary being so port intensive, I'm second guessing the suite.

Edited to add the $6000 is CAD currency. As well, I realized after this savings would be if we chose a non refundable  deposit. I'm aware that there isn't a refundable option with the Grand Suite.

Edited by Castle Cruiser
To clarify pricing difference

12 hours ago, berkeleykel said:

I've been debating switching to two connecting balconies because it would allow us to move the sailing to a warmer month 

You realize that you will forfeit part of your deposit if you change the ship and/or sail date, right ?  Since this is a full suite, there is a $100 per person penalty for cancelling a suite.

17 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

You realize that you will forfeit part of your deposit if you change the ship and/or sail date, right ?  Since this is a full suite, there is a $100 per person penalty for cancelling a suite.

Thanks, I didn't realize there was a specific suite-related penalty.  But I knew I was still very much undecided when booking so booked under a UK offer with only £75 deposit.

11 hours ago, fonemanbob said:

I like your reasoning on going with the 3 Central Park cabins.  6 K is a whole lot of drinks, dinners, excursions, etc.  On sea days you will be at the pool, etc. Not sitting on a balcony for a long period of time.  And port days the balcony and room will be empty for the most part.

Thanks... my TA was able to hold three Central Park view Interior rooms, two of which are connecting  and the third being next door, for a sailing two weeks earlier (which is better timing with back to school), with refundable deposits, for $5000 less than the suite. I think this is the best scenario for us. We will be so busy as it's a port intensive cruise, and as you said, the savings can go towards drinks, excursions, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2019 at 7:31 PM, Castle Cruiser said:

Thanks... my TA was able to hold three Central Park view Interior rooms, two of which are connecting  and the third being next door, for a sailing two weeks earlier (which is better timing with back to school), with refundable deposits, for $5000 less than the suite. I think this is the best scenario for us. We will be so busy as it's a port intensive cruise, and as you said, the savings can go towards drinks, excursions, etc.

I think you made a sound choice.  We are sailing on the same sailing just in May 2020.  We are balcony people (love to try a suite someday) and I booked two large interior staterooms for the same reason, this is a very port intensive sailing.  You have 6 port days and one sea day which is the last day.  I figured we'd either being sleeping in big time or checking out the cruise ship we haven't had time to really see.  Either way the room just needs to have a bed and shower and we are set.

Use the $5000 for some excellent excursions!!

On 9/14/2019 at 8:27 PM, MicDay said:

I think you made a sound choice.  We are sailing on the same sailing just in May 2020.  We are balcony people (love to try a suite someday) and I booked two large interior staterooms for the same reason, this is a very port intensive sailing.  You have 6 port days and one sea day which is the last day.  I figured we'd either being sleeping in big time or checking out the cruise ship we haven't had time to really see.  Either way the room just needs to have a bed and shower and we are set.

Use the $5000 for some excellent excursions!!

Thanks ... I think we will definitely appreciate putting the savings towards some great excursions, as well as a drink or two! ?

Enjoy planning your trip!