Royal Up - does the bidding price ever change?

Iheoma

Hi Everyone, 

I was wondering if the Royal Up offer we received for our October sailing might go down. We've been offered to bid on an upgrade to a  jr. suite at $350 as the *starting* bid from our Oceanview. Everything I've seen on this forum seems that a the prices seem much lower. I'm not interested in paying an additional $700 for this cruise, but I would be willing to bid up to $150 more per person. Any info or experiences would be great. Thanks in advance. 

Is your cruise sold out?  We just received our 5th Royal up for our Sept.12 Anthem cruise that has been sold out for weeks.  Remember you don`t get double points for going into a suite  unless you already are in a suite.  That is why we are not bidding $ 900.00 for a suite that won`t get us double points. You can try bidding less. You may not like the location of the room that you are getting.   That $ 700 could be well spent  on other items.        

6 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

If you are paying $700.00 just for double-points, can we all get a round of drinks on you????  Haste makes waste!! ??

Noooooooo!!! That upgrade price was (and is) too rich for my blood for a jr. suite upgrade. I don't think that's worth it.  It was my hope that I would get another offer for a lower bidding price. This morning, I got another Royal Up offer for exactly the same price. So for now it's looking like we're staying where we are. We already have the drink package- I got it for $47 per day a couple of months ago. 

I think you probably get different 'minimum offers' based on what class of cabin you are originally booked. Meaning, a starting bid for an interior room to upgrade to a JS or higher class would be more $$$ than say an original balcony booking, because balcony has already paid more. So my minimum bid to go from Balcony to Owner's suite is $200, but someone on the same sailing, in an interior cabin may be asked to bid a minimum of $350/person, that way RC maximizes on profits. Because meanwhile, while I am bidding on Owners, someone else is bidding on my balcony.

Hmm.. so we actually saw a decrease in bid price. Interior View (CP or Promenade) dropped from $30/pp min bid to $20/pp and OV dropped from $100/pp min bid to $50/pp. Just put in a $50/pp minimum bid just to see what happens for the OV (going from an aft deck 6 interior!) - I figure a little natural light is a good trade off for a really convenient location. I'm happy either way. 

7 minutes ago, KLA said:

Hmm.. so we actually saw a decrease in bid price. Interior View (CP or Promenade) dropped from $30/pp min bid to $20/pp and OV dropped from $100/pp min bid to $50/pp. Just put in a $50/pp minimum bid just to see what happens for the OV (going from an aft deck 6 interior!) - I figure a little natural light is a good trade off for a really convenient location. I'm happy either way. 

$50/pp is definitely worth it @KLA A view of the ocean is always a good thing, especially at that price. 

1 minute ago, FManke said:

You're still a winner, even if your bid isn't excepted, because your cruising!

Happy Cruising!

Ahh... I can't wait. It's been since our 3 nighter in January. We are SO looking forward to  7 whole days on Allure!!!

5 minutes ago, FManke said:

... At least we still have one booked!

this is how we plan to combat the Post Cruise Blues!! 

on the Royal Up subject:  I bid on JS and GS for our sailing Friday (I cancelled and re-bid a couple times) and haven't heard back yet but are thrilled with the GTY cabin we're already assigned; therefore I bid the minimum and will be happy whichever way it plays out

44 minutes ago, KLA said:

Hope I can get an offer like that for my Harmony Upcoming cruise!!..that's a great deal imho...if you can get it for that!

Just now, FManke said:

When did it first send you a bid offer @KLA

RoyalUp became available a few weeks ago I'm pretty sure. I would check every few days to see if something changed but today I saw that it dropped to $50/pp for an OV. I just submitted my bid a few hours ago. Sailing is 9/29. 

2 minutes ago, KLA said:

RoyalUp became available a few weeks ago I'm pretty sure. I would check every few days to see if something changed but today I saw that it dropped to $50/pp for an OV. I just submitted my bid a few hours ago. Sailing is 9/29. 

So your first bid opportunity was about four weeks out from sailing?

Just now, KLA said:

I actually think it might have been earlier than that, but I think they say the earliest is 30 days out. 

Ok thanks. Just curious about the whole timing thing. I guess they need to shift people to those OV or PV and above cabins that aren't filled and open up those inside cabins which they feel they can sell more easily. That's the whole point of the program right? Get those already booked to move up to unsold cabin categories and open up space to re-sell those cabins. Supply and demand.

We are 29 days from our October 10th sailing on Vision and have so far received three emails asking us to bid.  We received the first email on August 26th, the last yesterday.

The email we received yesterday only offered two options...$20 pp minimum for an Outside View and $100 pp minimum for an Ocean View Balcony (we have an inside GTY).

On our Mariner sailing back in January we successfully bid $120 pp on an Ocean View Balcony and found out around a week before our sailing (upgraded from an Ocean View).

Edited to add:  For our Mariner sailing Jan 30,  2019 we received the email about bidding  (and placed our bid) on November 28, 2018

• 4 years later...

I got a very interesting perspective on this bidding thing. 

Three different bookings, booked at very different times, no surprise the costs kept going up. 

Cabin1: Booked more than a year out, lowest cost (Emerald Status)

Cabin 2: Booked 8 months out at nearly double. (Pre-Gold status)

Cabin 3: Booked 2.5 months out cost was even more than cabin 2 (Pre-Gold Status) 

Royal up is also crazy different. Cabin 1 & 2 got J suite as the best option, Cabin 3 got all the way to owners suite

Cabin 1: j Suite max bid is 450 pp

Cabin 2; j Suite max bid is 825 pp

Cabin 3: j Suite max bid is 1350 pp

This whole thing is very weird

@Foodog You don't mention what category those 3 cabins are which makes it harder to evaluate the Royal Up offers.  Typically, you can only increase your category a certain amount of levels through Royal Up.  So I'm assuming your cabin 3 (that allows bidding all the way up to Owner's Suite) is already a higher category than the other 2 cabins (that only go up to Junior Suite).