Carnival threading the needle

RCVoyager

I'm a little surprised Carnival is still planning to go forward with it's 5 night trip, on the Sunshine, from Charleston this afternoon.  They have cancelled the Half Moon Cay stop but currently still plan to stop at Nassau on Thursday.

I guess they will try to dart out a couple of hundred miles directly East and then come back in behind the storm.  It will probably be a bumpy ride. 

I would also hope Carnival would offer a 100% refund for any passengers who can't get to Charleston, don't want to leave their car with possible on shore flooding, or who don't want to be subject to the rough seas they will encounter, but I don't see any mention of it on their website.  

When people come on here with complaints, I'm usually one of the first to say "the cruise line did the best they could" in a given situation.  This one has me scratching my head.

Interesting considering the evacuation order in place and lane reversals on I26 that began a few hours ago. My friends daughter evacuated from Charleston this morning with other students. I’m way up in the corner of SC, so nothing to worry about here, but the coast has sure seen it’s share of storms in recent years. 

3 hours ago, RCVoyager said:

I'm a little surprised Carnival is still planning to go forward with it's 5 night trip, on the Sunshine, from Charleston this afternoon.  They have cancelled the Half Moon Cay stop but currently still plan to stop at Nassau on Thursday.

I guess they will try to dart out a couple of hundred miles directly East and then come back in behind the storm.  It will probably be a bumpy ride. 

I was a bit surprised to see the Pride leaving Baltimore yesterday going to Grand Turk. Carnival must really feel confident about the track and timing of Dorian.

9 minutes ago, Dalewood said:

I was a bit surprised to see the Pride leaving Baltimore yesterday going to Grand Turk. Carnival must really feel confident about the track and timing of Dorian.

I would agree the Pride trip is questionable, but it can go East then South and stay 200 to 300 miles away from the storm.  At this point, there are no watches or warnings that far North that I know of.  Coming out of Charleston today, with the main interstate in contraflow away from your site, is really taking a chance.

52 minutes ago, ThyriC said:

Watching cruisemapper, I've been confused by a LOT of Carnival's decisions with its ships that were in the hurricane's path. With Sunshine, Pride and Fascination.... I mean I'm sure Carnival doesnt want its passengers to have a bumpy ride or a crazy trip, but man those ships were really close to the storm's path

I agree 100%, and after watching how various cruise lines are handling the ships with delayed port returns, Royal seems to be offering some of the best communication and customer service. 

7 hours ago, Firefly said:

Interesting considering the evacuation order in place and lane reversals on I26 that began a few hours ago. My friends daughter evacuated from Charleston this morning with other students. I’m way up in the corner of SC, so nothing to worry about here, but the coast has sure seen it’s share of storms in recent years. 

I live in Greenville. Do you as well ?

11 hours ago, RCVoyager said:

When people come on here with complaints, I'm usually one of the first to say "the cruise line did the best they could" in a given situation.  This one has me scratching my head.

Look into what NCL did with Breakaway's affected sailings and that one will have you shaking your head even more.