Redeeming RCCL Credit Card Points

Melbae9

Hi Everyone,

I tried searching back boards, but did not find anything, so my apologies if this has been covered before (I bet it has!). I have roughly 100,000 RC credit card points that I have been saving for a long time. I need to use them before some start to expire soon. Anyway, does anyone have any good tricks for getting the most bang for your buck? For example, the cruise for 2 says it will cover an outside view room.. can we use that value towards a balcony or even a suite on the same sailing? Or should we stick to onboard credits, knowing we usually don't spend too much money on excursions or drinks. 

Thanks in advance!

Mel

39 minutes ago, Melbae9 said:

Hi Everyone,

I tried searching back boards, but did not find anything, so my apologies if this has been covered before (I bet it has!). I have roughly 100,000 RC credit card points that I have been saving for a long time. I need to use them before some start to expire soon. Anyway, does anyone have any good tricks for getting the most bang for your buck? For example, the cruise for 2 says it will cover an outside view room.. can we use that value towards a balcony or even a suite on the same sailing? Or should we stick to onboard credits, knowing we usually don't spend too much money on excursions or drinks. 

Thanks in advance!

Mel

Hmm -- what if you don't prepay your auto grats, and you use the OBC for that?  Is there anything in the fine print that says you can't use it for the auto gratuity?

23 minutes ago, karl_nj said:

Hmm -- what if you don't prepay your auto grats, and you use the OBC for that?  Is there anything in the fine print that says you can't use it for the auto gratuity?

I have used my points (turned in to OBC) to pay the auto charged gratuities. 

1 hour ago, Melbae9 said:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks in advance!

Mel

If you do research on the different options you can find that one that is worth the most (upgrade vs free cruise vs OBC).  It takes time and work but if you are willing to do it you can maximize the value.  FWIW i usually just get the OBC...

Hi Everyone!  

I have the Royal Caribbean Visa Card & cashed in my points (only $ 150.00) so far for my upcoming sailing on 9/7/19 to Bermuda on Anthem.

When you redeem these points for on board credit dollars, these "on board dollar" do NOT show up until 14 days prior to your sailing date.

I had pre-booked my drink package, internet package before then.

But, to my surprise, the prices decreased after I received my on board credit, so I cancelled my previous bookings & got the lower price ALONG with using my on board credit...

It was a nice win, win situation.

Hope things work out for you@Melbae9 ? 

For FWIW, you can call the RC Visa Cruise Credit Department and ask for you onboard credit to be applied to your cruise account earlier than 14 days prior to departure.  It helps with making Cruise Planner purchases earlier during sales.  The reason they wait in posting is that if for some reason you had to cancel your cruise, you lose your Onboard Credit as BOA considers it a non-refundable gift certificate.  You have to work with RC to get it applied to another cruise.  In the old days you didn't get the credit until the second day of the cruise.