Time to say a prayer...

I'm not even a religious person.... but....  At this point, i really dont care so much about what happens regarding my cruise... I just heard on tv, that when this made landfall in the Bahamas an hour or so ago, it did so , officially in a tie with the one that hit the Fl Keys in the 1930's, as THE worst / most powerful hurricane to make landfall there..  in recorded history ... ?    Now is the time to seriously pray for the folks who live on those tiny islands

Very true. It's sad that in these situations everyone gets worked up about refunds and ruined vacations. During the next few hours peoples lives are going to change forever. There will be massive destruction & probably loss of human lives. They will be in my thoughts as I selfishly enjoy my safe Labor Day weekend in New York.

Edited by sk8erguy1978
Typo!

We took a direct hit from Hurricane Harvey and it was a sneeze compared to Dorian.  

I still get little bouts of PTSD when thunderstorms come through. I can only imagine the horror of being on an island that is literally coming apart and flooding all around you.  I remember how St Maarten and Puerto Rico looked close to a year after Maria and Irma. Heartbreaking.

I've been praying for protection from hurricanes for a couple of months now, but my goodness those poor

souls in the Bahamas really need His protection.  It's simply mind-boggling how strong this big boy is.

Where can those people go?  Obviously there will be a lot of deaths, and sooooo many of them will be

(or already are, now) homeless with no immediate relief in sight.

We're in Charleston, so my gut has been in knots for over a week and it won't quit until November.

Seeing those videos from the people in Abacco were just absolutely heartbreaking.  This storm that looked like nothing much when it began just turned into a monster.  My thoughts are with these people that they come out safe on the other side.  Homes can be rebuilt, possessions re-acquired, but lives cannot be brought back.

We are still watching and waiting here in Florida but have most prep done.  Still hoping for the turn.  

Wanted to add that thoughts and prayers of course to those impacted.  Remember as cruise passengers, many on this board frequent the islands, we can assist directly.  There was a cruise report on this board or another about scheduling a volunteer experience during your port stop.  Also your tourist dollars contribute to their economy.  So even if you normally stay on the ship even a few minutes shopping/spending can be helpful.  Some of the experiences are as simple as walking dogs at the animal shelter.  

I believe the family that wrote about their experience used the HopeFloats group but another is Together for the Good.  After reading that experience we plan on doing that on a future cruise.  

On 9/1/2019 at 6:41 PM, Suzanne said:

After watching the videos coming in on twitter from people in the storm on Marsh Island and Abaco, where it made a direct hit...

Id be VERY surprised if Coco Cay is still standing after tomorrow.

Dorian was at least 100 miles away from Coco Cay. There should be minimal damage to the island. 

On 9/2/2019 at 12:36 AM, Floski said:

I've been praying for protection from hurricanes for a couple of months now, but my goodness those poor

souls in the Bahamas really need His protection.  It's simply mind-boggling how strong this big boy is.

Where can those people go?  Obviously there will be a lot of deaths, and sooooo many of them will be

(or already are, now) homeless with no immediate relief in sight.

We're in Charleston, so my gut has been in knots for over a week and it won't quit until November.

Wishing you the best from coastal Central Florida as we dodged a big one here last night. Hope it is not bad for you as it heads your way. Prayers and more to those in the Bahamas. 

3 hours ago, Susie said:

Well, did not go well for those NCL cruisers that ended up in NO and needed to get back to Miami. That being said, safety first needs to be a priority, for passengers and employees (especially on the destination islands). My friend was scheduled on Mariner departing 9/2. RC offered several options to them when became obvious that cruise would be impacted by Dorian... As I watched the Mariner depart last Friday from Port Canaveral (which is NOT in Orlando), I hoped those passengers packed extra clothes because I knew they would not be back here on Monday! ?