Cococay - Cat 5..

Xceed

I'm booked to leave on Navigator on the 9th. It looks like Nassau may be spared from the eye wall, although Cococay may be in the direct path of Dorian. Current forecast bumped up to Cat 5 wind speeds. I have a bad feeling that Cococay is not going to open back up on the 4th as planned. I could only imagine that it may take weeks to restore power to the islands. What are everybody's thoughts? 

1 minute ago, Xceed said:

I'm booked to leave on Navigator on the 9th. It looks like Nassau may be spared from the eye wall, although Cococay may be in the direct path of Dorian. Current forecast bumped up to Cat 5 wind speeds. I have a bad feeling that Cococay is not going to open back up on the 4th as planned. I could only imagine that it may take weeks to restore power to the islands. What are everybody's thoughts? 

From what I just saw on the Weather Channel, Dorian is slow moving and may be over the Bahamas for an entire day to a day and a half. 20ft storm surge and up to 30in of rain. Not good. Let's just hope for the best. The islands might be out of service for quite awhile.

2 minutes ago, FManke said:

From what I just saw on the Weather Channel, Dorian is slow moving and may be over the Bahamas for an entire day to a day and a half. 20ft storm surge and up to 30in of rain. Not good. Let's just hope for the best. The islands might be out of service for quite awhile.

I'd hope that RC would reroute to a different destination if the Bahamas were to get severly damaged. Im a Florida local and I know from experience that any direct hit can destroy an area for months and be without power for several weeks. All of a sudden Hati, Jamacia, or Mexico sounds like a better iteninnary. 

1 minute ago, Xceed said:

I'd hope that RC would reroute to a different destination if the Bahamas were to get severly damaged. Im a Florida local and I know from experience that any direct hit can destroy an area for months and be without power for several weeks. All of a sudden Hati, Jamacia, or Mexico sounds like a better iteninnary. 

They most certainly will. You can see they are already doing it now.

All very scary.  They did evacuate most people who live on CoCo Cay (someone on Royal told us that a few stayed for security, but not sure if this is true).

Even when the storm passes and if everything "looks" ok, they would still need to do very thorough checks to ensure that slides, etc are safe.  Can't see it opening again on the 4th.

1 hour ago, cdixon22 said:

I am more concerned about the local residents that work on the island and the clean up and sorting of their personal life they will have to do. This historic storm will change the northern Bahamas as we know it today. Prayers to all. 

Me too but at least they will have guaranteed employment to re set the island and then work there.  unlike those on other islands

2 hours ago, Xceed said:

Oh boy... I should have renewed my passport. If the itennirary changes to jamacia, hati, Mexico, etc. Will I still be able to get off the ship with birth certificate and DL? 

Yes, just be very careful to make sure you get back on the ship on time.  If you get stranded on the island you'll be screwed without a passport. 

31 minutes ago, Suzanne said:

Not looking good for the Bahamas. That storm is a monster. We are supposed to go to Coco Cay the first week in October. I’m glad to hear they evacuated the island.

Prayers for those in the path.....

I have a group of 24 with two stops at Coco Cay first week in October.   So so worried for all in the path of this monster storm... 

From what I have read they stopped ships coming to Coco Cay this past Thursday so those that live on the island can evacuate.  We had a cabana there on Chill Island in July.  Our attendant stated that @95% of those that work on the island have family in the Bahamas.  As a matter of fact they have a boat that shuttles staff @6 pm. 11 pm and 6 am everyday for staff.  The staff on the island are not like the ship contracts.  It is 28 days, so there are many that are coming and going.  

I would also say that for ships like Anthem, Adventure and Grandeur would re-route to NE/Canada since they sail out of Baltimore and NJ.  We were suppose to do the Caribbean cruise 2 yrs ago on Anthem.  Hurricane Jose and Maria (?) came barreling in.  48 hrs prior we were told we were going to NE instead.  We were given the chance for full refund, or take the cruise with 50% off that cruise +$250 OBC pp, if you did not use the 250 pp OBC it would be refunded to your credit card.   There was no doubt we took the cruise.   It sailed 100% full.  In the end the 6 night cruise in a spacious outside balcony cost us...@$500 ---we pd @2000 for the cruise, minus, the 50% off =1000, minus the 500 OBC = 500.  

I will say that sailing was probably the best cruise, most likely because everybody walked on with a WOOO WOOO   7 days on a cruise for dirt cheap is a win win.  Than again, the Jets, Eagles and Giants all won that weekend so that made them happy too.

Last major thing that rolled through our area was Katrina and by the time it hit here it was officially listed as a tropical storm.  Due to the heavy amount of rain that had happened leading up to the storm hitting us there was a astronomical amount of downed trees that in return caused downed power lines.  It was absolutely crazy here for about two weeks until they got most of the power grid back up.  That being said that was just a tropical storm, God forbid we have a Cat 5 storm hit us, I would hate to imagine the impact, which in turn makes my heart go out to all those people in the Bahamas that have to put up with this thing as it stalls over the area for 24-36 hours.  I know that it is going to be absolutely UNBELIEVABLE the damage that it is going to cause that area.  

I’m not a sophisticated computer user and couldn’t figure out how to quote the post on Dorian missing coco cay but here is my response:

Honestly, I’d rather see it centered on a currently uninhabited island!  Vacation structures can be replaced over time.  People and their dwellings not as easily.  N.C. is not a tropical paradise but we still have homes with tarps a year after a relatively minor hurricane flooded our eastern area.  Please show some compassion for the humans suffering in this horrific storm and stop worrying about coco cay. 

1 hour ago, Fairlynew said:

I’m not a sophisticated computer user and couldn’t figure out how to quote the post on Dorian missing coco cay but here is my response:

Honestly, I’d rather see it centered on a currently uninhabited island!  Vacation structures can be replaced over time.  People and their dwellings not as easily.  N.C. is not a tropical paradise but we still have homes with tarps a year after a relatively minor hurricane flooded our eastern area.  Please show some compassion for the humans suffering in this horrific storm and stop worrying about coco cay. 

Well I made this thread to get some possible information regarding Cococay and how this is going to affect my vacation. Afterall this is a cruise blog.. am I right? I live in Florida, we are also affected by this mess. Yes, its unfortunate that the bahamas is getting nailed with the worst from the storm, we can all agree on that. 

Well this is really scary stuff. Watching this storm turn into a freaking massive monster slowly all week. The few videos coming out already are heartbreaking. This might be something we have never seen before, at least in my lifetime. I pray for all in its path. PLEASE miss all of the US. 

We are on Anthem next month to Bermuda and it wouldn't bother me at all to end up in Halifax or New Brunswick. Thank goodness to me the ship is the vacation. 

5 minutes ago, Xceed said:

Well I made this thread to get some possible information regarding Cococay and how this is going to affect my vacation. Afterall this is a cruise blog.. am I right? I live in Florida, we are also affected by this mess. Yes, its unfortunate that the bahamas is getting nailed with the worst from the storm, we can all agree on that. 

This idea that it is wrong to think about Coco Cay or worry about a vacation is wrong. Its ok to worry about Coco Cay and your vacation in my opinion. Unless you are saying boy I hope everything gets destroyed but spares Coco Cay for my vacation, that would be wrong. People on cruise critic which can be a TOXIC message board at times are screaming at people that they shouldn't worry about Coco Cay and a vacation. I don't agree with that. I don't think anyone here is saying I hope everyone's lives are ruined so I can have a nice vacation. 

2 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

This idea that it is wrong to think about Coco Cay or worry about a vacation is wrong. Its ok to worry about Coco Cay and your vacation in my opinion. Unless you are saying boy I hope everything gets destroyed but spares Coco Cay for my vacation, that would be wrong. People on cruise critic which can be a TOXIC message board at times are screaming at people that they shouldn't worry about Coco Cay and a vacation. I don't agree with that. I don't think anyone here is saying I hope everyone's lives are ruined so I can have a nice vacation. 

Agreed. I think there’s nothing wrong with a reminder of the devastation that families and communities are suffering from right now, but it’s also possible to be concerned about multiple things at the same time. Worrying and wondering about vacation plans isn’t mutually exclusive from being concerned about the effect this storm has on people both in the United States and abroad. I appreciate that for the most part this board is keeping things positive and not jumping at throats as much as CC. Who needs that much negativity??? Too stressful.   

22 hours ago, Xceed said:

Oh boy... I should have renewed my passport. If the itennirary changes to jamacia, hati, Mexico, etc. Will I still be able to get off the ship with birth certificate and DL? 

I"m in the same boat, no pun intended.  There are 6 of us sailing with birth certificates only.....I don't think they will let us off the ship ?

8 hours ago, spiralqueen said:

Agreed. I think there’s nothing wrong with a reminder of the devastation that families and communities are suffering from right now, but it’s also possible to be concerned about multiple things at the same time. Worrying and wondering about vacation plans isn’t mutually exclusive from being concerned about the effect this storm has on people both in the United States and abroad. I appreciate that for the most part this board is keeping things positive and not jumping at throats as much as CC. Who needs that much negativity??? Too stressful.   

CC is a cesspool of hate at times. I remember saying I split a drink with my 4 year old son when I had the drink package but he didn't and they made it that i was Hitler and I am the reason Royal Caribbean is gonna go out business. Shared a drink with a 4 YEAR OLD! They had an absolute fit. These boards are WAY better and its Royal only and we are pretty much Royal only.

it looked to me like the "worst" of the storm was going by north of Coco ... fingers crossed they come through relatively ok. 

The north side of the island is the pier and rocky so hopefully not to much damage there, the beaches are south and east if i have my orientations right so again to the extent that damage can be limited it should be since bulk of wind/water coming from the north ...

Certainly not minimizing hoping that the staff are all safe and evacuated as well but talking about Coco since this is a Royal related board.

3 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

CC is a cesspool of hate at times. I remember saying I split a drink with my 4 year old son when I had the drink package but he didn't and they made it that i was Hitler and I am the reason Royal Caribbean is gonna go out business. Shared a drink with a 4 YEAR OLD! They had an absolute fit. These boards are WAY better and its Royal only and we are pretty much Royal only.

HAHA!  If people think Royal is going out of business because of a shared drink package then Royal better rethink the business model!  It costs them so little for drinks!  This post made me laugh because I can see people freaking out...

28 minutes ago, MO & LO on the go! said:

HAHA!  If people think Royal is going out of business because of a shared drink package then Royal better rethink the business model!  It costs them so little for drinks!  This post made me laugh because I can see people freaking out...

It's why we call them them the CC police. It's as if I committed a capital crime. Nasty comments. I'm sorry but I'm not buying a soda package for a 4 year old. Now he is 6 and we are on Anthem next month and I did get him a soda package which I'm still questioning. I got it for him and my wife. I am drinking free water this cruise. I have lost 73 pounds and have up all soda and only drink water. I'm gonna bring 10 bottles of water, carry them on and then drink ship water the rest of the way. 

It's gonna be nice to cruise and not be fat! Just as a side note. ?

3 hours ago, jticarruthers said:

it looked to me like the "worst" of the storm was going by north of Coco ... fingers crossed they come through relatively ok. 

The north side of the island is the pier and rocky so hopefully not to much damage there, the beaches are south and east if i have my orientations right so again to the extent that damage can be limited it should be since bulk of wind/water coming from the north ...

Certainly not minimizing hoping that the staff are all safe and evacuated as well but talking about Coco since this is a Royal related board.

I dug up an old thread and somebody mentioned that coco has their own power plant? I wonder of that will speed up the repair process as it is a small area compared to surrounding islands. After a multi million dollar makeover I'm sure RC had hurricanes in mind while constructing all of the structures. 

6 hours ago, Priss said:

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 10:20 AM, WannaCruise said:

All very scary.  They did evacuate most people who live on CoCo Cay (someone on Royal told us that a few stayed for security, but not sure if this is true).

Even when the storm passes and if everything "looks" ok, they would still need to do very thorough checks to ensure that slides, etc are safe.  Can't see it opening again on the 4th.

I also read that the coast guard has shut down port Canaveral. I wonder what will happen to the ships out at sea that have already been extended.I would be ready to get home now. Maybe they will port in Tampa?

7 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

Omg I noticed the same thing! People calling it down right theft and saying it's the reason for high drink prices. Very judgemental members. My husband and I have the drink package my 4 year old does not. I plan on letting her get flavored water from the machines and the occasional shirley temple / mocktail etc ( within reason). 

10 hours ago, Priss said:

I"m in the same boat, no pun intended.  There are 6 of us sailing with birth certificates only.....I don't think they will let us off the ship ?

They will let you on and off the ship with just birth certificates ....... BUT if you miss the ship and are left in another country, you’ll have to go to the US Consulate there and prove who you are to get a passport before you can get a flight off wherever you are stranded.

7 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I didn’t know that wasn’t allowed for a child.  Every cruise I’ve been on, I’ve only showed my Sea Pass card with DBP and have ordered both an alcohol drink for myself and a “mocktail” for our 7 year old at the same time with just my card  ........ they’ve always served me both drinks at the same time and never charged me for his or asked for another sea pass card and we’ve never bought a drink package for our son since he only drinks water otherwise.  I just assumed when both parents in the room had a DBP, that they must let you get free drinks for your kids

52 minutes ago, KeKe said:

I also read that the coast guard has shut down port Canaveral. I wonder what will happen to the ships out at sea that have already been extended.I would be ready to get home now. Maybe they will port in Tampa?

Tampa has major restrictions on the size of ship that can get under the Skyway Bridge into Tampa Bay

https://www.kcra.com/article/disney-defends-decision-to-keep-workers-on-its-private-island-in-bahamas-during-dorian/28888018

Disney’s island was closer to Dorian than Cococay and Disney claims their island never got more than a few hours of tropical storm force winds and is just fine ........ so I’m guessing Cococay is also totally fine.