Grandeur cruise canceled

Rob&Ana

It looks like the 5 day Bermuda cruise leaving this morning was canceled because of propulsion problems. It seems the ship left the port on time but shortly after had to return to port with this issue. It seems they will give everyone a full refund and 100% FCC plus the normal flight change fees.

Not sure if anyone can give more details....

It is propulsion issues.  They had issues coming into port on Friday and worked on it while doing the turn around for this cruise.  They only got out to Norfolk and had to come back.  Apparently they allowed 1/2 of the passengers off early in the a.m., and than had to go out of port to let Pride get in.   The remaining 1/2 will also get off today.  They said that they will have to send down divers to fix it, and it will not need to leave the dock to fix it.

I am very sorry for those who had their vacations cut short by this. Silver lining is that due to the port, it’s likely that most people drove in vs flights. At least Royal is making it right with the 100% refund plus 100% FCC. Hopefully with this being a smaller ship than the Oasis class ones it will be much easier to repair it since there are more options for location. I’m selfishly happy that they are at least knowing about this and fixing it now, decently far in advance of my Nov sailing. 

1 hour ago, JennyJenny said:

So if you get a 100% refund AND a FCC of 100% what does that mean?

A 100% refund on the current cruise you were scheduled to take PLUS a FCC of that same amount towards a future cruise (sort of like a free cruise IF the price was the same?)

Yes it's like getting double your money back only the FCC must be applied to a cruise within a year normally.

2 hours ago, FManke said:

@coneyraven put your wet suit on and get out there and lend them a hand! ?

I would if I could, although, I might break a hip.  Right now she's meandering in the Patapsco River while the Carnival Pride turns over it's passengers.  Perhaps this could be a blessing in disguise considering the projected path of Dorian as it moves north.  You wouldn't want to be on a ship that's limping along when the sea is churning.

So sorry that happened to you.  I feel for everyone affected by that.  We are going out on the 9/5 sailing and are facing a hurricane that will be in the area on Thursday.  Unfortunately, most hurricanes that travel up the east coast continue north into Canada....with this being a Canada/New England cruise and the issues that were had on the last sailing.....  I wonder if we will get cancelled.  Ah, the joys of travel....

My husband and I were on this shortest cruise ever! We turned back before the H895 bridge! A bit sad it was cancelled, it was our first suite, needing the points to get to diamond level for our voyager cruise in february, in time for my anniversary... we already have 14 nights on explorer in december so don't know if we will be able to reschedule, there's a limit to weeks vacations one can have!!! Hope the best for Grandeur for the upcoming cruise! Due to the labor day weekend, it was a bit difficult to find a flight: 800$ for a return flight to montreal?! We decide to stay 2 nights in baltimore and booked a flight tuesday at 253pp. We enjoy the aquarium today, seeing more fish than our bermuda trip would have allowed! And as said previously, with the storm heading north, it would have been rocky on our way back. It wasn't meant to happen, that's all! I feel sorry for fellow passengers who didn't handled it well... people complaining everywhere about paying too much for this missed trip, not considering the great offer FCC is. 

Grandeur does appear to be on the move right now going 18kn through the chesapeake bay.  Unsure of where she's going but she is underway somewhere.  Still not going her full speed but that does seem faster than with just one engine.  Hopefully there will be more news from Royal about what's going on with Grandeur.  

Update on our beloved Lady G ---- She's outside the mouth of the Chesapeake .... looks like she may be stretching her proverbial legs and working out all the kinks..... that's very good news for the folks due to leave on Thursday.

Now, will Dorian become a factor?  Time will tell .... All of us Lady G fans remember all too well,  what happened when Matthew came through ....

A lovely day in Manhattan (as opposed to Bermuda) - that's what happened.  Not to mention the clusterf%^k when the ship had to leave early because the impending closing of the bay itself.  It was called, leave now, or we're not going anywhere.

2 hours ago, coneyraven said:

Update on our beloved Lady G ---- She's outside the mouth of the Chesapeake .... looks like she may be stretching her proverbial legs and working out all the kinks..... that's very good news for the folks due to leave on Thursday.

Now, will Dorian become a factor?  Time will tell .... All of us Lady G fans remember all too well,  what happened when Matthew came through ....

A lovely day in Manhattan (as opposed to Bermuda) - that's what happened.  Not to mention the clusterf%^k when the ship had to leave early because the impending closing of the bay itself.  It was called, leave now, or we're not going anywhere.

Looks like she’s pulling into Virginia Beach/Norfolk. I’m guessing it’s not something that can be repaired underwater and needs to be done in a dry dock.  

C591FA0B-01AC-46D7-8C42-F0D84F9CEE0A.png

A24F9FE0-9C23-4EC9-9256-98466C00D75E.png

17 hours ago, suna said:

My husband and I were on this shortest cruise ever! We turned back before the H895 bridge! A bit sad it was cancelled, it was our first suite, needing the points to get to diamond level for our voyager cruise in february, in time for my anniversary

FYI: When we  sailed on Grandeur in January of 2018, we were supposed to have a 9-night cruise that was shortened to 7-nights due to a departure delay (Grandeur needed a rudder repair in Port Canaveral) After our cruise, we were still awarded the full 9 C&A Points. Hopefully, you can still gain the points you were expected to accrue, or at least partial points.

1 hour ago, SPS said:

FYI: When we  sailed on Grandeur in January of 2018, we were supposed to have a 9-night cruise that was shortened to 7-nights due to a departure delay (Grandeur needed a rudder repair in Port Canaveral) After our cruise, we were still awarded the full 9 C&A Points. Hopefully, you can still gain the points you were expected to accrue, or at least partial points.

Thank you for the info! In any case, i'll wait to see if points are added before looking at my options