Grandeur Questions

For those who have been on Grandeur and might know OR those about to sale on her and could maybe not mind checking for me:

1. Is there a mini fridge in the room? If yes, is it pretty much the same as a hotel room mini fridge?

2. I watched a couple do a cruise vlog on a ship from a different line last night but it got me to wondering again: In the gym, how big are the locker room showers? Are they significantly bigger than the ones in the room? The couple was doing a ship tour on the first day and went into the gym and locker rooms on that ship and the showers they showed were decent size like the ones at my gym and definitely bigger than the ones I have seen pics of in the room. Was considering using the gym showers to do my get ready if they were nicer AND then my room mate and I wouldn't be having to be all over each other in the little tiny bathroom to get ready for dinner or the day. If you are the gym type or explorer type who likes to go look at everything and wouldn't mind taking a peek of them and letting me know, I'd super appreciate it. I agree that pics are creepy in a locker room so looking for a "oh they are MUCH bigger!" or "meh, about the same size don't bother" kind of comment. (Pics would be nice if it's the first day and no one is in there but I respect that's still kind of weird so no worries).

3. I have no earthly idea what size my luggage is. I have a "big bag" I take for long trips and a "small bag" I take for a day or two. I think my "small bag" is about 22-24" and the "big" bag is 27-30" based on the picture I found below. My question is around under bed space. We are in an ocean view cabin and as single ladies will have the beds arranged as individual singles so was wondering if my suitcase (once emptied) will indeed fit under the bed to stow. I'd sort of like to bring the "big" one because it would allow me to have extra space for bringing back gifts or anything cute I buy and alleviate buying another bag if I need one. I could cram everything into the "small" one but there's no allowance for bringing anything at all home (and I have presents that need to happen for staff, family, and friends). This would be the bag I drop with the porter so I am not worried about having to drag it around until the room is ready. But if there is no where to store it then I might need to rethink my plan. I want to bring my evening gowns and indulge in dress up on formal nights and I have a pretty dress that could go either 70s party or white party so I'd really love to bring the "big" one if I could store it under my bed during the cruise.

Just curious. 237 days to go. I will be on the Grandeur out of Baltimore for a 7 day to Bermuda at the end of April. My family and friends are so excited I am taking a vacation (it's been 13 years since my last vacation) so they are all wanting to buy me stuff and things for the upcoming holidays and my birthday for the trip. I think my wardrobe is pretty solid but I am going to tell them I need things like the luggage tags, magnetic hooks, the outlet extender stuff, etc. "Little travel extras" so I am starting to plan NOW so if I think of stuff, I can put it on my wish list. I could buy it all myself but then they would be upset with me so, you know lol

Bag1.jpg

I think it depends on the stateroom category whether or not you get a fridge.  We sailed in an inside once and I’m fairly sure there was no fridge in that room. I’ve never been in an ocean view room (on any ship) so I can’t help you there.  I’m pretty sure that balconies and above will have a fridge.  Don’t count on them to actually keep anything cold though.  It’s more like a chiller.  For example, I cannot drink a soda that comes out of one of their fridges without ice.

I have never had an issue storing our luggage beneath the beds but we have soft sided luggage.   I think big, hard sided luggage might have an issue.  I always store my small pieces inside the bigger pieces and have had good luck.

On Grandeur:

1).  No Mini-Fridge in an Oceanview.  We make sure that the Room Attendant supplies ice twice per day.  You can "construct" a makeshift cooler for bottles by using the ice and a proper flexible "bag".  We have never done this, but heard of others who have.

2).  We are not Gym People.  It is definitely in an interesting place (above the Viking Crown Lounge).  Really not sure about facilities to get ready for the evening.

3).  We have a fairly large bag (and a suit bag as well).  In an Oceanview they kinda' fit under the bed.  We lift the bed slightly to fit them under (seemed to be OK).  You  can not just slide under the bed, as on the larger ships.  We place our carry-on upright in the closet and use as a laundry "bag".

We have been on Grandeur twice already and will be on her this NOV.  This is a ship that helps you connect with the sea (something we love).  We just completed a 9 day Bermuda / Bahamas cruise that was excellent.  Not the bells and whistles of the bigger ships, but a relaxing, enjoyable ship.  Bermuda might be our favourite island destination now.

Have a Blast ...

Curt from Canada

8 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I think it depends on the stateroom category whether or not you get a fridge.  We sailed in an inside once and I’m fairly sure there was no fridge in that room. I’ve never been in an ocean view room (on any ship) so I can’t help you there.  I’m pretty sure that balconies and above will have a fridge.  Don’t count on them to actually keep anything cold though.  It’s more like a chiller.  For example, I cannot drink a soda that comes out of one of their fridges without ice.

I have never had an issue storing our luggage beneath the beds but we have soft sided luggage.   I think big, hard sided luggage might have an issue.  I always store my small pieces inside the bigger pieces and have had good luck.

My stateroom is a "H" - "Large Ocean View Stateroom" .... Room 3046 if that matters but sounds like it's more like "who knows?" ?

I was wondering about the fridge more from a "I can put my cold brew" in there so it won't go bad too quick kind of thing. I still have to add ice to it even when I drink it from my home fridge.

Ah yes. I have hard sided luggage for the amount I travel. I finally made the switch after the last set appeared to have been mauled by rabid bears while in the cargo hold of that flight...

So far, it's holding up okay so...

8 hours ago, Curt From Canada said:

On Grandeur:

1).  No Mini-Fridge in an Oceanview.  We make sure that the Room Attendant supplies ice twice per day.  You can "construct" a makeshift cooler for bottles by using the ice and a proper flexible "bag".  We have never done this, but heard of others who have.

2).  We are not Gym People.  It is definitely in an interesting place (above the Viking Crown Lounge).  Really not sure about facilities to get ready for the evening.

3).  We have a fairly large bag (and a suit bag as well).  In an Oceanview they kinda' fit under the bed.  We lift the bed slightly to fit them under (seemed to be OK).  You  can not just slide under the bed, as on the larger ships.  We place our carry-on upright in the closet and use as a laundry "bag".

We have been on Grandeur twice already and will be on her this NOV.  This is a ship that helps you connect with the sea (something we love).  We just completed a 9 day Bermuda / Bahamas cruise that was excellent.  Not the bells and whistles of the bigger ships, but a relaxing, enjoyable ship.  Bermuda might be our favourite island destination now.

Have a Blast ...

Curt from Canada

1. Ah. Okay then. There is the answer to that. Thank you!

2. I wasn't looking so much to do my whole "get ready" there but thought I'd pop up, use the shower, then I could slip on a pair of lounge pants and my kimono to go back to the room and do the makeup and hair thing. When I was in France, the showers were so tiny it was ridiculous and I have seen a few pictures that looked like they were as bad or worse than France (no offense, Paris... I still love you ❤️ )

3. Sounds like it should fit.... or maybe I should bring the small one and a "hang up" bag for my dresses ? Hmmmmm

I am very much looking forward to the Grandeur. And Bermuda. I have never been there before!

Thank you!

13 hours ago, JennyJenny said:

1. Ah. Okay then. There is the answer to that. Thank you!

2. I wasn't looking so much to do my whole "get ready" there but thought I'd pop up, use the shower, then I could slip on a pair of lounge pants and my kimono to go back to the room and do the makeup and hair thing. When I was in France, the showers were so tiny it was ridiculous and I have seen a few pictures that looked like they were as bad or worse than France (no offense, Paris... I still love you ❤️

3. Sounds like it should fit.... or maybe I should bring the small one and a "hang up" bag for my dresses ? Hmmmmm

I am very much looking forward to the Grandeur. And Bermuda. I have never been there before!

Thank you!

1).  Not having the fridge was (at first) a surprise (we had only cruised on larger ships in balconies).  Once we got used to it, we never really noticed.  Having ice twice a day was good enough.  The fridges are barely cool anyways.

2).  Funny enough, I found the showers BETTER than Paris. ? ... We lived there for three months and the very expensive, company paid, apartment had a terrible shower.  Still, my soulmate and I do need a well established routine to get ready for "drinks, dancing and dinner" each night in a Grandeur Oceanview Cabin.

3). We do not travel light.  We are experienced travellers and do not mind the Suit Bag, Large Checked Bag, one Carryon (all are rollered) ... between the two of us.

A few do not misses on Grandeur:

A).  If John Blair is the Cruise Director, he does a Neil Diamond Tribute show.  We have seen twice now and it is excellent.  It is usually late in the cruise on a seas day in the afternoon.  Not to be missed.

B).  Music in the Centrum.  There is always something going on from 4:30PM onwards.  I love the entire ship for its views of the sea.  Especially, the Centrum which is a great place to relax with a drink, the sea and music.

C).  The Schooner Bar has the same connection with the sea.  It is a little bit more lively, and a great place to people watch (it serves as corridor).  Some people might not like the people passing through, we don't mind ... the Piano Player is usually very good (and sometimes incorporates pedestrians in the show).  One of the best ships in the fleet where the Centrum, Schooner Bar and other lounges are so well connected to the sea..

D).  Very friendly crew and loyal "army" of passengers.  Do not be surprised if you see a number of passengers and crew greet each other like long lost friends.

Curt from Canada

1. I have my Bulletproof Coffee each morning. I was contemplating bringing my set up for cold brew with me IF there was a fridge but if there is not then I won't. I can just improvise with bringing my protein and doing it hot with some coffee from the cafe lattitudes place. I try if possible to stick with my Bulletproof brand of coffee for certain reasons but it's not something I am going to sweat if I don't have it. I am planning to get the refreshment package so can get the little bit nicer coffees and not fuss with my own. So I have already crossed that off my worry list. I travel so much that a fridge is about 50/50 if I get one so I have learned to make it work either way.

2. Oh good! lol There was this one in Normandy that was just "what is the point"? Even my former spouse who was 130 pounds soaking wet with 3% body fat didn't fit in it. That was a wet washcloth stand up wipe down few days for sure. The showers and the elevators in Paris! ? The elevator was so small we sent one person up to our floor, I staid down on the ground and sent each suitcase up one at a time then took the final empty ride up! Crazy! But amusing and a fun story to tell the kids ?

3. I suppose I should just go for it with what I take this time and then figure I can adjust/learn accordingly from there. No vacation will be perfect and I have decided taking a suitcase that is too big shall be allowed as one of my mistakes the first time ☺️ I have made far worse mistakes in my life and probably will again!

A. Oh! Were you the one who first mentioned this??? I saw that and I love Neil Diamond and this was on my list of things to look for! I grew up listening to all his albums as my family drove long car trips. I could probably sing all his songs by heart. I am so so so hoping to see that one!

B. I have been pouring over the old Compasses. Looking forward to the music in the Centrum and, hopefully, some dancing. I am about to medal test for Rumba and Waltz so hope to get a little dancing in!

C. I was recently in Vegas for work and for the first time simply indulged in sitting down in the lounge EVERY night and listening to the piano player. I'd never done that before but I am truly trying to prepare to cruise. I rather liked that so look forward to the piano bar and people watching.

D. I am hoping to make this cruise a yearly enforced (on myself) vacation exile and look forward to becoming part of the Grandeur Army ?

@JennyJenny the dancing opportunities in the Centrum are numerous (other places not so much).  We start at 4:30 and dance up until late seating.  After that the opportunities are hit and miss.  Not many Waltz opportunities.  A few Rumbas (we got to do one in the Centrum elevator) ... Our favourite is "Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone" (Bill Withers).  Lots of Foxtrots and even more Swing numbers each night.

8 minutes ago, Hoski said:

We open our hard sided luggage and slide it under the beds and use it for our dirty clothes.  It has fit on all ships so far.

Our "normal" sized luggage fits under Oasis, Quantum, Freedom, Voyager and Radiance Class beds.  It did not slide easily under the Grandeur Oceanview Bed.  We had to lift up slightly (difficult, but not impossible).  We ended up putting our carry-on sized luggage in the closet (standing up) and used it for dirty clothes.

Curt from Canada

1 hour ago, Curt From Canada said:

It did not slide easily under the Grandeur Oceanview Bed.  We had to lift up slightly (difficult, but not impossible).

On our one-and-only inside cabin on Grandeur, we had to do this as well.  Be careful if you lift up one side of the bed.  The double bed is actually 2 single beds that are connected. Without knowing it, we inadvertently disconnected them when we lifted the one to slide the luggage under it.  In the middle of the night, I awoke to find myself submerged  in an abyss which had developed between the two (now-loose) beds.   It took the attendant to fix whatever malfunction we had created.  We laughed and laughed over that one.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, tinman1224 said:

Also bring suit cases big ones my wife likes to bring the house with us which is fine we never are without some thing, also you could fit a dead body under the beds. Enjoy your cruise l will pray for good weather!  ?

LOL I'll remember I can fit a body under there in a pinch! Thank you! And I also hope for good weather!