Anthem is part of the new app. apparently

So for fun I decided to open the new Royal Caribbean app and to my surprise it had all my cruise info in there where it didn't just a few months ago. I see our set sail passes and everything which is cool. Is this new news or just to news to me? I guess they got all that info from my check in from the website? I was looking for a place to add a picture but couldn't find that. Maybe all features are ready yet for Anthem? So now we can just show this app and our set set sail pass not use the paper set sail passes? I guess once they can the passes from our phones they will take a quick of all of us and we'll be on our way? Is that how this kinda works?

If you click on the person icon at the top right of the app it will take you to your info page.  You can view your SetSail Pass.  It does state that you must bring your original travel documents to the port.  So I will still bring my printed SetSail Pass.  You can't add your picture from the app for Anthem yet.  You have to do that online.

15 hours ago, MaryS said:

It does state that you must bring your original travel documents to the port.  So I will still bring my printed SetSail Pass.

think "original travel documents" here means your passport or driver's license / birth cert combo. I know others have just pulled up the Set Sail Pass in the app and had it scanned without issues, so I'm not sure if it's really necessary to bring printed copies of that as well. The printed copy also just has the bar code scanned, so should be fine with just the copy in the app. @Lovetocruise2002, @Matt, any thoughts on this?

By the way, if you have an iPhone you can add the in-app Set Sail Passes to the Wallet so you have easy access from the lock screen. I imagine there must be similar functionality for Android, although I'm unfamiliar with its equivalent to Wallet. Oddly, it took me a few tries before the app would add both passes instead of just one.

48 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

The printed copy also just has the bar code scanned, so should be fine with just the copy in the app. @Lovetocruise2002, @Matt, any thoughts on this?

I used to print a copy just in case.  For our latest cruise on Symphony, I just used the app.  As a Plan B, I took screen shots of my set sail pass from the app ahead of time.  That gave me two ways to access my bar code (app and screen shot of app).

And I agree, I have always assumed that "original travel documents" means passport or birth certificate/driver's license combo.

Well this is all great info, thanks. I will bring the paper set sail passes just in case. We are gonna try the app. I guess they will just snap a quick picture of all three of us and we'll be on our way. I'm excited to try the app. and see if it scans and all that. After they can the app. set sail passes do they need to see your passport at that time? 

15 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Yes, they will still need to see your passport whether you use paper or digital set sail pass.

I disembarked from Symphony this morning, didn't need to show my passport on either embarkation or disembarkation.  Was very surprised.

They did ask to see my mothers passport for embarkation, not sure if it was because i messed something up when I did online check-in for her, or if it was some sort of random check.

For disembarkation, Customs/Immigration used the facial recognition system.

24 minutes ago, karl_nj said:

I disembarked from Symphony this morning, didn't need to show my passport on either embarkation or disembarkation.  Was very surprised.

Really? That is surprising. Or maybe because I am Canadian, we always have to show our passports at both embarkation and disembarkation. 

10 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Really? That is surprising. Or maybe because I am Canadian, we always have to show our passports at both embarkation and disembarkation. 

For disembarkation, with the facial scanning technology, it seemed that they were only using it for US citizens with passports.  Non citizens and citizens using a birth certificate went to a different line.  I'm not sure what happened there, but I assume you met with a customs/immigration officer.

I was amazed how quickly I got off the ship and to the airport.  I had luggage tag 8, they called my tag earlier then expected (since we got to the port at 2:30am due to the hurricane) and didn't run into any lines from that point forward until I boarded my plane.  Not at immigration, not at the taxi stand, not dropping off my bags at the airport, and not at the TSA Pre Check lane.

Embarkation was also as quick and easy, except for all the traffic getting to the terminal.  Once I got out of my uber, there were pretty much no lines.  I had to wait a few minutes after the xray machines to show documentation that I had two cabins (for our 4 bottles of wine), but then we boarded immediately. It must have been a little after 10:30am when we got onboard.

28 minutes ago, karl_nj said:

For disembarkation, with the facial scanning technology, it seemed that they were only using it for US citizens with passports.  Non citizens and citizens using a birth certificate went to a different line.  I'm not sure what happened there, but I assume you met with a customs/immigration officer.

Yes, at Terminal A, non-US citizens went to another line with a customs officer.  All together, ship to curb was very fast.  Less than 1/2 hour.

FWIW, I've gone to the port with just the app set sail pass and no printed copy.  On one occasion, the app refused to load and I did not do what @Lovetocruise2002 recommended and take a screenshot of the digital pass.  They cross-references us to a printed guest manifest and completed the check in.

So if you complete online check-in and plan to use the app to complete it, you don't need to have a printed copy, but it's not a bad idea to have a backup.

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

FWIW, I've gone to the port with just the app set sail pass and no printed copy.  On one occasion, the app refused to load and I did not do what @Lovetocruise2002 recommended and take a screenshot of the digital pass.  They cross-references us to a printed guest manifest and completed the check in.

So if you complete online check-in and plan to use the app to complete it, you don't need to have a printed copy, but it's not a bad idea to have a backup.

Yeah no doubt about that. That is the first thing I thought of. If for some reason the app. won't open or my phone is going through some crazy thing that or a crazy update I'm bringing the printed set sail pass too which in the end really negates the need for the app really at that point. I might as well just pull out the 3 printed set sail passes at that point. All they do is scan it. There is no real advantage to using the app except you save not needing the paper passes, correct? They just need to scan either app. Passes or paper printed passes and see your passport? Am I right on this?