Ovation of the Seas // 7 nights // August 30-September 6, 2019

PG Cruiser

Hi all!  I'm going to blog my first Alaskan cruise on this thread.  It will be a "lazy" blog as I may not post a lot like I did in my other RCCL cruises.

If there's anyone sailing on the Ovation soon, you can post questions and photo requests for features of the ship you might be interested in. 

3 minutes ago, RatedPG said:

Good news! USB Ports!  This is the first time I've seen USB ports in an RCCL stateroom.  

Bad news! It's working for my Apple Watch but not for my iPhone.  The "charging" icon shows up for a few seconds and then reverts to the "battery level" icon.

The USB ports in Quantum Class rooms are the low-power variety, which can be too low in amperage to charge a recent-model smartphone. Even older models will take hours to recharge on one of those ports. Did you happen to bring your own USB charging station to plug into the wall? Those usually have higher-power / higher-amperage ports.

18 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Did you happen to bring your own USB charging station to plug into the wall? Those usually have higher-power / higher-amperage ports.

Yes, I did.  I have this 4-port USB charger by RAVPower.  The top port is for quick charging.

USB Charger

I also brought this European plug adapter so I can use the European type outlet in the room.  If you do this, please make sure your device is autovolt (110-220V) or it is rated for 220V. I say that again ... for US people especially ... make sure your device is rated for 220V.

European adapter

On 5/14/2019 at 5:29 PM, twangster said:

Something else I forgot to mention...

Normally the SeaPass cards on ships that use RFID can't be punched because you could cut the antenna embedded into the card.  Here on Ovation the RFID cards come pre-punched in the lower left corner.  This means traditional lanyards are back in play.

kESIP3l.jpg

This is the first I've seen this, granted my last RFID ship was back in November.

@twangster, they don't have the pre-punched cards on the Ovation anymore (August 30 sailing).  Good thing I brought a sleeve to attach to my belt loop keyring.

Sea Pass Sleeve

Virtual Symphony

I don’t know what to say about this show. I was a bit underwhelmed.  I found it weird that people applauded after each number. I guess it was just their way of getting into the virtual experience.  The lady next to me got so much into it that she started conducting too.  I was afraid the “orchestra” might get confused as to which conductor to follow. I was ok with her “conducting” but when she started humming along with the music, that was just too much for me. (I hope she doesn’t join this message board and call me out for gossiping... ha ha)

D2D894BC-46A1-493E-B16A-FF905114CE33.thumb.jpeg.7ae99e88958a92ec72ee71c4df8402c7.jpeg

23 hours ago, RatedPG said:

Fish & Ships... first time I’ve seen it on a Royal Caribbean ship

Do you think you could get some more photos of Fish & Ships as it's new and also are the upcharge items included in the UDP? Same with the pub, could you please upload photos of the menu there and ask if the food there is included in the UDP? 

18 hours ago, BaikG said:

Do you think you could get some more photos of Fish & Ships as it's new and also are the upcharge items included in the UDP? Same with the pub, could you please upload photos of the menu there and ask if the food there is included in the UDP? 

Seconded - We'll be on her the 13th, so looking forward to checking out the differences between Ovation and her sister the Anthem. I could go for some fish and ships right now.  Also, congrats on becoming Emerald!  

Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier

This is the “best” view of this supposed highlight of the cruise!

79506ED1-DF28-4DBA-B744-D30CAD22F879.thumb.jpeg.0020619c21e8cb6c5ebe0a6c0e8db495.jpeg

Seriously, we didn’t even make it there.  The captain made an announcement that we were turning back because it was unsafe to proceed because of the fog.

Now every time the horn sounds, I get annoyingly reminded of the fog that “ruined” my day.

Good grief! That stinks! We are taking this cruise on the 13th and I was afraid of this kind of weather. I’m just glad we don’t have to worry about a hurricane and hoping for the best. ? Sorry it ruined your views!

My family and I went to Mt Rushmore last year and we couldn’t see it for the first two days due to fog. 

DE4F55EB-7377-4811-AE90-225C2CE33181.jpeg

Edited by MidwestIA
Adding picture

@BaikG and @firebuck, here is the info I gathered on the Pub and Fish & Ships.  The Unlimited Dining Package can be used at both restaurants.  The answers were iffy about the other dining packages.

D07277B5-42D9-465C-B31F-0CF7FB0195E5.thumb.jpeg.be14181ee6c4e70bdb2d89a6c02d82b6.jpeg

C115B13B-375C-49C7-9BF5-15055E5B3764.thumb.jpeg.39768a1efa6c2e1d3dff484d86e0a728.jpeg

For Fish & Ships, the UDP can be used for the items on the right.

Now this needs some explanation... 

I originally ordered Chocolate Cake with Ice Cream but I changed it to Baked Alaskan. My waiter brought me both.  Then he also brought me a serving of “Leche Flan” (Filipino Custard).  Plus they were celebrating Royal’s 50th so they also gave us the 50th cake... that is why I got a dessert spread.

1A909A79-6D51-4F86-83BC-5DD397274724.thumb.jpeg.07cb5dc55516be66b3990996380a0032.jpeg

8CCD9662-46E8-4047-9C83-DE429A99C5F7.thumb.jpeg.3cfb36f7319f66c6631bb7f960413603.jpeg