CBD Oil/gummies - allowed on ship?

ellcee

Hmm, I remember seeing a lengthy discussion about this on the forums here not that long ago, but when I search I can't find it.

General consensus that I recall was that because the ships have to adhere to global laws and not just US; and even the US laws are not 100% rock solid for the long-term (CBD being available in the US is a side effect of the current farm bill that allows growing hemp once again) and could be rolled back as soon as next year if the allowance on the farm bill is discontinued, that it was best not to chance that. Just no way to know how the ship / port security staff would handle that if it was found in either carry-on or checked luggage.

I would not risk it. We were on a cruise a while back the some guys all got arrested when they got caught during a routine inspection by US Border guys, not sure if they had info on them or just random....but they got arrested for pot and the room attendant told us it was just a small baggy....

4 hours ago, Rob&Ana said:

I would not risk it. We were on a cruise a while back the some guys all got arrested when they got caught during a routine inspection by US Border guys, not sure if they had info on them or just random....but they got arrested for pot and the room attendant told us it was just a small baggy....

I wouldn’t risk either but this isn’t considered pot or marijuana  

23 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Hmm, I remember seeing a lengthy discussion about this on the forums here not that long ago, but when I search I can't find it.

General consensus that I recall was that because the ships have to adhere to global laws and not just US; and even the US laws are not 100% rock solid for the long-term (CBD being available in the US is a side effect of the current farm bill that allows growing hemp once again) and could be rolled back as soon as next year if the allowance on the farm bill is discontinued, that it was best not to chance that. Just no way to know how the ship / port security staff would handle that if it was found in either carry-on or checked luggage.

It was about a drug called Epidiolex -- approved for epilepsy

• 1 year later...

I think everthing is ok to have it on a ship. Especially since you don't know what can happen at sea, storms and the sea can go crazy. (Or we don't have oil to slide easier) XD But until I saw this post, I didn't think I could travel with it. Thank you very much for the helpful information. But from what I've read on CBDOilKing.co.uk, I have to be careful to see if the laws allow this oil in that country. If I'm not allowed to do that, we move on to standard cigarettes. I've heard that some cruise ships don't let it. What do you think?

21 minutes ago, IorisThor said:

I thonk everthing is ok to have it on a ship.

Everything is ok until it isn't.  

Cruising is international travel.  Not all countries have the same view on the subject.  What is now okay domestically may not be in another country.  

Bermuda for example has been known for boarding cruise ships and searching guest cabins.  That's legal there.   You have no rights as an American while in another country.

Are cruise lines training their cabin attendants to search for CBD products?  I don't think so, so it's not likely going to be a problem until something happens that brings it to light and that point the cruise line can't just let it slide and pretend they didn't see it.  

It's your life and you are free to make choices but understand that some choices have consequences.  When you factor in international law make those choices wisely.

i think the best way to find out this answer is to contact Royal directly.  Policies are changing every day for many things.  Seriously, I check the "what's allowed" page at least a week before I cruise and then again the day before we leave, just to make sure.

Same with the TSA policies.

This thread topic caught my eye only because my wife uses it with good effect for osteoarthritis in her hands. If I hadn't seen this, I never would have thought about whether or not one can travel with it. Domestically, the simple answer is yes. Internationally, you have to check in-country laws for CBD products. Keep in mind, CBD products are not the same thing as a bag of MJ or a few joints you try to stick in your luggage. That's a no-no. 

I only looked at the laws in one place - Greece. Googling it was easy and I got the information I needed and in general, yes, you can legally have it in your possession in Greece. I have my doubts that an RCL CSR will know about CBD products in countries they visit. I suspect they might know if there is a cruise line policy that prohibits carrying it. My research indicates it's not a prohibited product by domestic TSA or onboard ship. However, I'd pack it in clear sight with other toiletries in your luggage where you usually put such things, don't try to hide it and then don't ask if it's OK. You'll find out if it's not on inspection. I also read that dogs trained to smell cannabis products don't alert on specific types of CBD products available OTC in a store.    

In my google searching, this article popped up. Its a good read on the subject:

https://www.smartertravel.com/traveling-with-cbd-oil/  

• 1 month later...

Travelling with CBD oils is legal at federal level, however the state law restricts the possession of CBD oils while travelling but with certain exceptions. If you need it medically, you can take it with you but with a prescription, like any other medications. Me being someone who experiences jet lag often carries a https://cambridgelabscbd.co.uk/product/500mg-cbd-oil-uk-30ml/ during my trips. 

• 2 years later...

This isn't hard. In the cruise ticket/contract, it's there in black and white. Disembarkation, permanent trespass from a cruise line, no refund of fare would seem plenty of incentive to abide by the policy. And has been stated in a discussion thread on this forum, what may be legal in your state of residence ISN'T allowed on a cruise ship...........though it happens, especially ganja.

Oh, and if you're "holding" in a foreign port, you and your bags on the pier with no refund and a DIY trip back to the US would really inspire me to respect the rules.