Cruise Directors

ScottL

So this is only my 2nd cruise and I'm very ignorant to all of this but I saw a different post that spurred the question.  I understand that the Cruise Directors oversee all activities on any particular sailing but people seem to imply that, while they may not be able to ruin a cruise, they can definitely take a "good" cruise and make it "great!".  I'm not sure I fully understand this as it seems to me once the itinerary is set the Cruise Director just needs to execute the plans.

Can someone explain what differentiates a great cruise director from the mediocre or even bad ones?  How do they influence your cruise experience and enjoyment?  And a bonus question, since we're sailing on Allure next Sunday (Sept. 8, can't wait!) does anyone know who our Cruise Director will be and if they are "good" or "bad"?

This whole things fascinates me and I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts!

I believe an Australian by the name of Mike is on the Allure right now. He is good.  A great cruise director will be at every major event and will sometimes interact with guests in public areas.  They also have a certain energy about them that is hard to describe.  I did not see Mike directly interact with any guests that were not participants of a show.  The Athletic Director on the Allure is amazing.  It is a Mexican woman in her late 20s.  I want to guess her name is Fernanda.  She is very involved with several events such as trivia, dancing on the boardwalk, Prohibition Event, and of course Disco Night.

(This was the staff that was on board the first week of August)

The shows book up fast on that ship so go ahead and reserve them as soon as you walk in.  I believe you can register for the shows at "On Air" when you board.    

For me, it's hard to describe a good cruise director, but you'll know a good one when you have one.  A sign of a good cruise director is his staff.  The cruise director can't be everywhere at once, so his staff will run many of the events on ship such as Bingo, trivia, karaoke, etc.  I have found that how they run these events says a lot about the cruise director, they take his/her direction and general tone and are a general reflection of his skill.