Change to departure of disembarkation port...

Hello all!  Hope all is well with each of you and you are safe and sound.  We are scheduled to depart on Harmony of the Seas 15 Sept 2019 out of Port Canaveral.  I have been stressing about storms around that area or storms around the ports.  On average, how often are cruises cancelled altogether because of hurricanes?  Do they ever change departure ports because of damage at an original departure port?  We are travelling from Australia and have had this trip planned for 1.5 years now.  Our family is meeting us in Port Canaveral.  It looks like some itineraries have changed over the past week due to Dorian and there may be some changes over the next week or so.  I'm just thinking about a worst-case scenario situation such as leaving from Miami instead of Port Canaveral, or even Tampa, or Jacksonville.  Maybe leaving on a different date or staying longer.  I know there's a lot of information out there already.  Finding it is the fun part.  Any feedback you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

We are on Harmony a week later. I've taken the view that there is very little I can do about it so will handle it if I need to. My take is the odds that another tropical storm that would hit Port Canaveral on or around the Sunday is fairly low. Yes, it can happen but I suspect once Dorian is gone the risk is low..., whether we do the Eastern Caribbean or not, I roll with the wave.. (sic). 

I would agree, Voltore.  Cruising during the hurricane season is the chance you take.  I'm sure all will work out.  I've been to both the western and eastern Caribbean.  Either would work for me.  This will be the first cruise for some of my family and just favor the Eastern side better and was thinking about them and how much they will enjoy the cruise.  Thanks for your input.  It's much appreciated!  Have a great time on your cruise!

Welcome to our boards! 

Unfortunately it does happen when you cruise in July, August or September.  Some years much worse than others.  

We did a round trip from Tampa one year, and due to a storm while we were at sea the Tampa cruise port closed.  Our ship took us to Port Canaveral instead. The people who were flying were assisted by the cruise line to make alternate flight arrangements from Orlando airport.  If you had a car at the port, you were bused back across the state to Tampa to pick up the cars.  The people getting on the ship met the buses in Tampa and took them back across to Port Canaveral.  It was crazy but there was nothing to be done as the port was closed.

More recently, it seems that the ships stay at sea an extra day or two until the storm passes, then shorten the next sailing.  I always buy travel insurance if I sail during hurricane season or if I'm flying to cruise in the winter, just in case. 

Thanks, Kathy! This is exactly the kind of information I needed. I was curious if it had ever happened. I  fathomed they would change itineraries to that extreme but didn’t know for certain. While RCCL will do all they can to avoid cancellations, I’m sure it happens in rare occasions.  Safety is paramount in these situations!  I appreciate the great advice!  Sorry you had to live through this. Patience is key in those situations, I’m sure! Now you know and all who read this are in the know now.

10 hours ago, akshakes25 said:

Hello all!  Hope all is well with each of you and you are safe and sound.  We are scheduled to depart on Harmony of the Seas 15 Sept 2019 out of Port Canaveral.  I have been stressing about storms around that area or storms around the ports.  On average, how often are cruises cancelled altogether because of hurricanes?  Do they ever change departure ports because of damage at an original departure port?  We are travelling from Australia and have had this trip planned for 1.5 years now.  Our family is meeting us in Port Canaveral.  It looks like some itineraries have changed over the past week due to Dorian and there may be some changes over the next week or so.  I'm just thinking about a worst-case scenario situation such as leaving from Miami instead of Port Canaveral, or even Tampa, or Jacksonville.  Maybe leaving on a different date or staying longer.  I know there's a lot of information out there already.  Finding it is the fun part.  Any feedback you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

i wouldn't stress about the 15th.  Our cruise is the 8th, so I will be able to report at some point what the Harmony is doing.  We are more concerned about traveling to Florida from NC as we don't know which way the storm will head after landfall.   Safe travels to everyone....