Coastal Kitchen/ Sea Class

MidwestIA

We are sailing on the Ovation in two weeks and we booked a junior suite. We have never sailed in a suite before so I was looking at additional perks and I am excited to try Coastal Kitchen! Is it limited access to CK as a junior suite guest or can we make dinner reservations as available? Thanks!

I am not sure about that particular ship as we have never sailed on her before but I can tell you that we were on Anthem in April and we were able to have only dinner in the CK, you may want to check once you get onboard.  I have read the other thread and it seems as if things change from ship to ship and depending on the availability.  I can tell you that we had dinner in the MDR two nights, wife was unsure and was afraid to try something new.  After the first night in the MDR I convinced her to try CK the next evening and she fell in love, the third night we were back in the MDR and needless to say after dinner that evening we were able to reserve our spot for the rest of the week in the CK without any issues.  Needless to say after that trip I am a CK junkie and will try to book our next cruise on a ship with one, and in a suite so we can eat there the whole week!  GOOD LUCK and HAPPY CRUISING!!!?

As a JS guest, you can have dinner only in CK and it is based on availability.  You can make the reservations after boarding. Some ships allow you to make them all at once for the entire sailing. Some by the day. We have not been on Ovation but both times on Anthem, we have had zero issues getting them for the week. Oasis class is another story as noted in the thread linked above.

1 hour ago, Tim B. said:

I have never seen RCI written material that says access to CK is based upon availability. If someone can show me that in RCI material I would appreciate it. 

Here's the description of Coastal Kitchen on Royal's website: 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-dining/coastal-kitchen

Note the following section: 

RESTRICTIONS

For Pinnacle Guests only, based on availability. Junior Suites for dinner only, based on availability, except on Quantum of the Seas.

6 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Here's the description of Coastal Kitchen on Royal's website: 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-dining/coastal-kitchen

Note the following section: 

RESTRICTIONS

For Pinnacle Guests only, based on availability. Junior Suites for dinner only, based on availability, except on Quantum of the Seas.

Thank you! First time I have seen that. I am in a JS for an upcoming Oasis of the Seas Cruise (March 2020) so I will give it a shot but I don't do well when I have to get someone to open the door to a place I don't have access to. Kind of seems demeaning. 

I guess it's the same as "Up To" on a RCI sale; you've to read the fine print.

• 9 months later...
2 hours ago, fgarvin said:

Dumbest question ever, but if you need a key card to get into CK (as I've seen on ship tour videos), and I'm assuming that a person in a JS doesn't have a key card that would work, how does that person get in to CK to request a reservation?

Believe it or not, you bang on the door until a host / hostess opens it up. At that point, let them know you're in a JS and would like to make dinner reservations for whatever night.

That's for Oasis-class ships; Quantum class has the hostess desk outside the entry door, so you can just walk up and request a reservation without any fuss or embarrassment about causing a ruckus.

• 2 weeks later...

Familiar with that issue.   When we sailed Symphony a while back, the CK doors were open earlier in the embarkation day, so you could get in to set some reservations with the mater d .  During cruise, the doors were locked and you would need to tail gate or knock since JS does not provide access to CK.  Thought it odd since access can be programed for limited access time windows too.  (especially if tied to the reservation system).     Avoiding that issue with upgrading to next level on future cruises.