Wine

nrgMike

Hello.

Does anyone know the price range a bottle of wine is on board? Is it only high end wines available? I know you can bring wine on but I'll be arriving same day so not sure I'll have the time to stop at a store or want to pay the prices at the airport. Let me know.

Thank You,

Michael

4 hours ago, nrgMike said:

Hello.

Does anyone know the price range a bottle of wine is on board? Is it only high end wines available? I know you can bring wine on but I'll be arriving same day so not sure I'll have the time to stop at a store or want to pay the prices at the airport. Let me know.

Thank You,

Michael

You've seen the menu, but here is my experience.  When a house wine (St Michele) was about $8 per glass, the bottle price was in the $30's, so I maybe got one extra glass.  However, at one glass or so a night, it was pretty sour by the last night....therefore, I am inclined to buy by the glass unless I know we'll consume the wine in a day or two (like a group dinner).  There are other ways to get alcohol on the ship (CAS events, art auction, Captain's welcome), so I no longer buy a bottle.

Expect to pay about 3x-5x for a bottle on the ship vs. what you'd pay for the same bottle on land. I mostly drink zinfandel at home and sometimes chianti, and "every dinner" zins that I can get here for $10-$12 a bottle go for $12-$14 a glass on board, over $35 a bottle (plus gratuity on each).

If you have the drink package, getting wines is worth it in my book because you just pay for however much a glass exceeds the per-drink covered amount. You can try some new wines each night and see what you like, maybe find some new brands / varieties to enjoy at home, and only be out of pocket another $10-$15 a night depending on the wine. If you don't have the package, though, I recommend just bringing your allowed two bottles per cabin and splurge on something nice. If you bring on two $25-$30 bottles of wine to enjoy with dinner, you're coming out way ahead.

51 minutes ago, Hey Girl said:

Hello, I am flying to the ship.  Can I bring the two bottles in my carryon luggage on the airplane?  Thanks-!

If you are flying International then yes, as it will be duty free and in a sealed bag. If an internal flight then no as the maximum for liqiuds is 100ml 

8 hours ago, Bob_KY said:

If you are taking wine in your checked bags, recommend a bottle bag.

Screenshot_20190901-070654_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Silly question here, but do you actually have one of these bags?  We're stopping in St. Martin in October and plan on bringing back some Guavaberry and I'm currently researching bags for the plane ride home.  Since they are square bottles, I'm hesitant to buy "wine" bags as the bottles are not the same size.